No spark, unless I disconnect kill wire

hrdman2luv

Threads
Briggs 10hp (283707) on an older model snapper riding mower (30" deck with the rectable steering wheel).

When I disconnect the kill wire, it starts and runs fine. When I reconnect the kill wire, it kills it. I can't see any bare wires. I've moved them all around, off any parts of the frame. Checked the the safety switches with a meter. And they're all fine as well.

The key switch has 4 wires total. One is separate from the main connector.

The coil is a basic one, One plug wire. And one connection for the kill wire.

Am I over looking something obvious? Do I need to check the key switch?

I was thinking about putting in toggle switch for the kill wire.

Any help would be great.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You have to be getting a negative to the ground switch wire. Bad wire, ignition switch, or safety switch something you will have to look for.

hrdman2luv

Threads
You have to be getting a negative to the ground switch wire. Bad wire, ignition switch, or safety switch something you will have to look for.

The worst looking wires that are connected to the bracket on the side of the egine, where the kill connects to also, tested good for continuity.
The key switch. Continuity from B to M is good with key off. The ground wire at the key switch has. continuity to the engine. (Ground)

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Disconnect the kill wire from the engine. On the chassis side of the wire wire find what is grounding it and you found your problem. I can only give you a generic answer without the mower in front of me.

hrdman2luv

Threads
Disconnect the kill wire from the engine. On the chassis side of the wire wire find what is grounding it and you found your problem. I can only give you a generic answer without the mower in front of me.

Thanks for your help. Problem solved.

The safety switch for the clutch was good. As I said I tested them all. But it wasn't until I tied the clutch pedal down, did I notice the lever that was supposed to come down and press the safety switch, wasn't pressing it far enough. 4 darn hours chasing and replacing wires, testing them.
But it's finished. And the customer was happy with the jerry rigged safety switch.

I just hope she doesn't try to start it in gear, without pressing the clutch.