Repairs No power to Yardman

disco2hse

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is the same machine as the previous thread.

I have adjusted hangers and welded up bits. The tyres were way down and are pumped up. I've changed oil, plug, air cleaner. But...

I turn on the key and there is no power. I have tried jump starting with another battery but the result is the same. The ammeter records no apparent current. The headlights do not turn on. The battery has 12V charge.

Maybe this is a blown fuse but I can't find a fuse anywhere on the machine (boy this is where I could sure do with a correct workshop manual for a 400 series - not the 700 series manuals that are scattered across the interwebs).

I'm not sure where to start looking. I've traced the wiring as far as I can follow it and there does not seem to be any broken or burned wires.

So, could a guru point me in the right direction please? The engine was obviously running when I drove it into the garage last weekend.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For some reason your model number doesn't show up in the parts look up system. The closest I can get makes it sound like you may have a circuit breaker located between the key switch and the starter solenoid. Hopefully that helps.

disco2hse

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Ilengine. I see on the wiring diagram that there is a circuit breaker. On pulling out the battery from under the seat I see that the solenoid and a number of connectors, and what looks like the safety switch are situated there. Would that be the circuit breaker? I assume that it is just a simple matter of resetting it?

How does the safety switch work? Does that have a reset button too?

disco2hse

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think I have a breakthrough.

When I bought it some previous owner had bypassed one of the safety systems and I had repaired it, so that the starting sequence was different. Now the starting sequence is as described in one of the user manuals I downloaded.

See, blokes do read manuals :p

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
the circuit breaker would have one wire going in and on wire going out in most cases. May look like it has a metal top on it, but some were plastic. Just look for something that looks like a rectangle box about 3/8 in wide and about 1 inch long. the breaker should be self resetting. But could be faulty preventing power from getting to the rest of the system.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
99% of the time the fuse / breaker is on the thin wire attached to the hot ( battery ) terminal on the starter solenoid.
No electrical reason, it just saves on wire.
This wire goes directly to the B ( battery ) terminal on the ignition switch.
Generally it is red or red with a tracer.
On some mowers the feed from the regulator will also go to this wire so it should be easy to find.
Breakers generally go places where they are inaccessible which is why they fit breakers in place of a fuse.