No grease fittings ?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it has age and wear a ball bearing needs replacing.

Yes, I know, but new grease can get to them and make them last a bit longer, but like I said, that is secondary to this discussion.

The mfgrs. put zerks on the spindles these days to make the customer feel better. But many customers will pump the grease until the seals pops, and they can see grease oozing out under the deck. Then, that starts the process of dirt/water drawing into the bearings and destroying them.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
If I could get more then 300 hours out of bearings I would be happy

AYSKOFI

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone I'm new and my name is AL. Just bought a Hustler Raptor sd 54 inch. Recommended by 2 coworkers to mow my 3 1/2 acres and occasionally my mom's 1 1/2 acres. Put it away in the garage and started looking it over and the manual. Noticed there's no visible zerk fittings. This concerns me because my 2 craftsmen mowers have zerks. Feel like a fool for not looking over it really well before buying it. It's so solid built I over looked this. How do some of you feel about this particular mower not having fittings ?

The truth is, Hustler does have grease fittings on their spindles. It was because of the design of the spindles, I did not buy a Hustler. I have a lot of experience in designing new machinery and making improvements to older designs. I concluded nobody in their right mind, would have done what Hustler did. Want to grease your spindles? Prepare to get dirty. Lay down on the ground and reach under the mowing deck. That's where you will find the grease fittings, on the lower portion of the spindle housing. I spoke with the Hustler dealer about the problem. He didn't seem to think it was a problem that most people don't even clean the zerk fittings before pumping the grease in. Just ask yourself, how your going to clean those fittings before pumping all that trash into your bearings. I'm one guy who refuses to buy such a poor design. What concerns me even more is, what other flaws I might find, if I spent a little more time looking over the machine a little closer.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The truth is, Hustler does have grease fittings on their spindles. It was because of the design of the spindles, I did not buy a Hustler. I have a lot of experience in designing new machinery and making improvements to older designs. I concluded nobody in their right mind, would have done what Hustler did. Want to grease your spindles? Prepare to get dirty. Lay down on the ground and reach under the mowing deck. That's where you will find the grease fittings, on the lower portion of the spindle housing. I spoke with the Hustler dealer about the problem. He didn't seem to think it was a problem that most people don't even clean the zerk fittings before pumping the grease in. Just ask yourself, how your going to clean those fittings before pumping all that trash into your bearings. I'm one guy who refuses to buy such a poor design. What concerns me even more is, what other flaws I might find, if I spent a little more time looking over the machine a little closer.
Being you have a lot of experience in designing, did you design the popular system that has 2 sealed bearings that are a press fit with a spacer sleeve ( tubing ) between the bearings?

d_sharier

Threads

I am by no means a bearing expert, but I had the same thoughts you did about the fittings being in the arbor housing under the deck. I don't do much with ZTR'S or walk-behinds, I tend to gravitate to old Simplicity tractors. (I don't cut commercially) But Simplicity, Deere, Cub, Snapper etc. etc, all have had, or still use spindles with this style of fitting. Most of the Simplicity tractors that I have had my hands on have the fittings under the deck. I also noticed that most arbors/spindles after 1970 something have sealed bearings. Again, didn't make sense, why grease a sealed bearing? But then it was explained to me this way: The fittings are under the deck so they can be "hit" when servicing the blades and cleaning the deck. The manufacturer went under the assumption that the end user would follow their recommended maintenance schedule. This would include cleaning the underside of the deck prior to attaching a grease gun. As far as the grease itself, it is intended less for the bearings and more for the arbor shaft. The bearings are sealed, the arbor housing is not It is made of metal that is not sealed at the top or bottom, some have a lip up the side too. Heat is generated from the blades spinning on the shaft. Water gets into the arbor housing because the grass is mostly water. Heat and moisture are to prime ingredients in corrosion. It makes sense that the grease added to the arbor housing would be less about the bearings and more about the spindle shaft, transferring the heat away, and displacing the moisture.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
If I could get more then 300 hours out of bearings I would be happy

300 hours, seriously? I'm already running 700 hours on the sealed bearings on my Grandstand and there still running strong.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
300 hours, seriously? I'm already running 700 hours on the sealed bearings on my Grandstand and there still running strong.

I think I just stress mine more.
Tall weeds, hitting objects that shock the bearings.

Been running my toro all year and bearings are still doing good. Guessing close to 400 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF