Newer Craftsman with Kohler engine cuts out

beardog

Forum Newbie
Threads
My mower was having a problem for several weeks with cutting out after mowing for awhile and finally one day would not start back up. I assumed it had to do with the governor not allowing gas to the engine. I took it in for repair and after 5 weeks and several attempts by the repairman, was told I had a blown engine.
I would like some feedback, as this does not seem reasonable to me, although I am not a mechanic.
Barry

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
My mower was having a problem for several weeks with cutting out after mowing for awhile and finally one day would not start back up. I assumed it had to do with the governor not allowing gas to the engine. I took it in for repair and after 5 weeks and several attempts by the repairman, was told I had a blown engine.
I would like some feedback, as this does not seem reasonable to me, although I am not a mechanic.
Barry

And having it for five weeks what test did he do, did he give you a report on it and or a reason why.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am going to say it has the Kohler courage engine. When some one says a blown engine it can cover a lot of things. Anywhere from it looks like it exploded with big holes in the block (new engine time) to just something like just a small hole in the piston (small repair job). My question would be just what do you mean by blown engine. Myself I don't think the Kohler courage engine is a very well built engine. It has plastic internal parts and no crankshaft bearings. But that isn't saying its not repairable? I also don't understand why a governor wouldn't let gas into the engine unless its broken and not letting the throttle plate open??

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Barry
Being newer your engine may still be under warranty so check on that where it was purchased first or if they give you the run around check with Kohler on the warranty issue.

In my opinion a repair shop that has a mower for 5 weeks is too busy to do a good job or is incompetent or both.

beardog

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your reply. This guy is really nice though, he offered to take it off our hands for $200.00 (I paid 3,800 for it) We also caught him in a couple of lies....but what to do about it? I don't have enough information about lawn mower engines to fight him on his ground.
Beardog

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would get the unit back in your hands and the post all the numbers for the unit and engine. Give us a chance to help you out. You have nothing else to lose at this point than a little time. Include date of purchase.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for your reply. This guy is really nice though, he offered to take it off our hands for $200.00 (I paid 3,800 for it) We also caught him in a couple of lies....but what to do about it? I don't have enough information about lawn mower engines to fight him on his ground.
Beardog

Yes without a engine I would say that all it is worth is 200 dollars. I would still want to know what is wrong with the engine, not the engine is blown. A new Kohler courage runs around 700 to 800 hundred dollars and in my opinion it would be worth that in a 3800 dollar mower. I would say take it to someone who knows what they are doing and not trying to grab the money from you and take this engine apart and see what is wrong with it. Then again I sure hope the person who has it now doesn't have his hand too deep into your wallet.