Newbie - 5 Acres - Need Advice

Mystic Mower

Forum Newbie
Threads
Analysis paralysis has set in. I have 5 acres of natural grass land around my house that needs to be mowed periodically (depending on rain). In the past I have hired it done and usually looked for someone with a bush hog. However, the last two times a friend did it with his ZTR which opened my eyes to other options. The land has some trees to maneuver around, is relatively flat, and has a few rocks. Perhaps the biggest issue is the land is relatively "bumpy" most of which is caused by the clumps of grass which are fairly prevalent. I do not have any regular residential grass to mow.

With normal rain, I have had it mowed about 3 - 4 times per year. If I had my own mower, that would be a max of 5 - 6 times per year. I estimate it would take 6-7 hours to mow each time.

I have mainly focused my research on the mid-range residential mowers thus far.....but there are lots of choices. Since I won't be using it a lot, I don't think I need the best of the best, but I don't want something that is going to give me issues either. In fact, if I could find a good used mower, that would probably work too.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Analysis paralysis has set in. I have 5 acres of natural grass land around my house that needs to be mowed periodically (depending on rain). In the past I have hired it done and usually looked for someone with a bush hog. However, the last two times a friend did it with his ZTR which opened my eyes to other options. The land has some trees to maneuver around, is relatively flat, and has a few rocks. Perhaps the biggest issue is the land is relatively "bumpy" most of which is caused by the clumps of grass which are fairly prevalent. I do not have any regular residential grass to mow.

With normal rain, I have had it mowed about 3 - 4 times per year. If I had my own mower, that would be a max of 5 - 6 times per year. I estimate it would take 6-7 hours to mow each time.

I have mainly focused my research on the mid-range residential mowers thus far.....but there are lots of choices. Since I won't be using it a lot, I don't think I need the best of the best, but I don't want something that is going to give me issues either. In fact, if I could find a good used mower, that would probably work too.

Any advice would be appreciated.

It takes some time (months) to groom grass from clumpy field grass to weekly nice even lawn grass. I would suggest getting a 52” to 60” mid grade zero turn, and leaning on the dealer’s help and your own research to get the right mower. The zero turn market is extremely competitive and there are many brands that will do the job well for many years to come.

It will not take anywhere near 6-7 hours to mow five acres with a zero turn. There is a learning curve to effectively and correctly mow with a zero turn. Most likely you will find it is a pleasure to operate a zero turn. The cut quality, speed, and reliability is often amazing and enjoyable. You should be able to mow your five acres in less than three hours once the grass is manageable. I have five acres, over 80 trees, and mow it weekly in 2 hours and 45 minutes. Any other questions, please feel free to ask.

jrsavoie

Forum Newbie
Threads
We prefer a steering wheel to a ztr.
We also like the older Toro front deck mowers.

325D, 223D, 328D

We have a 220D, that we don't like because the go pedal is a little different.

Seems there's always a few of these on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace.

I used to see them on government auctions quite a bit.

All have Mitsubishi or Kubota diesel engines

There's also very similar gas driven models. We've never had a gasser.

We have 72"/6' decks

We just find the front deck mowers with steering wheels, more relaxing to use

Mystic Mower

Forum Newbie
Threads
It takes some time (months) to groom grass from clumpy field grass to weekly nice even lawn grass. I would suggest getting a 52” to 60” mid grade zero turn, and leaning on the dealer’s help and your own research to get the right mower. The zero turn market is extremely competitive and there are many brands that will do the job well for many years to come.

It will not take anywhere near 6-7 hours to mow five acres with a zero turn. There is a learning curve to effectively and correctly mow with a zero turn. Most likely you will find it is a pleasure to operate a zero turn. The cut quality, speed, and reliability is often amazing and enjoyable. You should be able to mow your five acres in less than three hours once the grass is manageable. I have five acres, over 80 trees, and mow it weekly in 2 hours and 45 minutes. Any other questions, please feel free to ask.
Thank-you very much for your helpful insight. I think your point about the time it will take is helpful especially considering I have waited until the the grass is really too tall before attacking it. Can you elaborate on what it will take to groom the clumpy field grass? Is it just the weight of the mower and the cutting will flatten out the clumps? Also, there seem to be many good brands of mowers out there. Are there any you particularly like, or perhap a better question, any I should avoid? Thanks again.