Export thread

New to Hustler "Online"

C

Carpe

Have a Hustler Z Ser # 01052099 Mod. # 926253. Could be 1999. Just changed the Hyd Filter but need the Fluid Level or amount of 10W 40W oil it requires. There is a screen in the reservoir fill and it looks as though the bottom of this is the fill level? Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks Carpe

chemingthroughtheleather

chemingthroughtheleather

Wow you got an older one!This question is above my pay grade but a dealer would know,I do know 20W50 is used in more recent hydro's.Hopefully someone more seasoned can give you the info,if your willing to dig I bet the answer is online.Be sure to give us any updates on your fix.:smile:

C

Carpe

Thanks Raptor. I got the Hustler by default and it has been a great mower. Traded a 935 Diesel and 318 John Deere's for it. It has 775 hours on it. As I bought the Hyd. Filter from a dealer in Indy, he could not come up with a fill level or amount of oil needed on the change. It was closing time and I think he was in clerical work / sales, not hands on tool work. I have become sensitive to the sound of metal against metal. I mopped the bottom of the oil Reservoir with a white cloth to check for metal, post draining. Found very little. My Son and I mow about 4-5 acres of our home and property which has several trees. My Son mows at top speed and the mower is really turned at full speed also. I backed the mower in a garage and noticed a few oil drops, which I traced to the Oil Reservoir. The mower had been service at a dealer so I had no question as to the correct amount being put in the Reservoir? After the Filter change and new oil put in I noticed the oil looks to have air bubbles in it, does the system need bled somewhere? Again Thanks, Mike Carpenter

djdicetn

djdicetn

Thanks Raptor. I got the Hustler by default and it has been a great mower. Traded a 935 Diesel and 318 John Deere's for it. It has 775 hours on it. As I bought the Hyd. Filter from a dealer in Indy, he could not come up with a fill level or amount of oil needed on the change. It was closing time and I think he was in clerical work / sales, not hands on tool work. I have become sensitive to the sound of metal against metal. I mopped the bottom of the oil Reservoir with a white cloth to check for metal, post draining. Found very little. My Son and I mow about 4-5 acres of our home and property which has several trees. My Son mows at top speed and the mower is really turned at full speed also. I backed the mower in a garage and noticed a few oil drops, which I traced to the Oil Reservoir. The mower had been service at a dealer so I had no question as to the correct amount being put in the Reservoir? After the Filter change and new oil put in I noticed the oil looks to have air bubbles in it, does the system need bled somewhere? Again Thanks, Mike Carpenter

Did you get an Owner Manual with that Hustler? There indeed is a "purge process" that must be done whenever the oil/filter is changed on the hydro unit. It involves jacking up the rear of the ZTR and running the hydros in forward, then reverse and then topping up the reservoir. Not having my Gravely manual handy...there may be a little more to it than that, but you most likely need to perform that purge process before using it.

C

Carpe

Did you get an Owner Manual with that Hustler? There indeed is a "purge process" that must be done whenever the oil/filter is changed on the hydro unit. It involves jacking up the rear of the ZTR and running the hydros in forward, then reverse and then topping up the reservoir. Not having my Gravely manual handy...there may be a little more to it than that, but you most likely need to perform that purge process before using it.
Thanks "Mower Addict" I did jack up the drive wheels and loosened the Filter, I then started it up and engaged the Hydro's until oil ran down the filter. Unfortunately I don't have the Manuals for the Hustler. I saw the process on U-Tube about purging the oil filter. Again, it was a Toro or another brand of Mower. I'm trying to get the info from the Dealer where I get parts from in Indy along with the manuals. Thanks again Mike Carpenter

M

Mad Mackie

Get the model and serial number of your machine, got to hustlerturf.com click on manuals, find your specific machine and download the manual.
Mad Mackie in CT:smile:

C

Carpe

Get the model and serial number of your machine, got to hustlerturf.com click on manuals, find your specific machine and download the manual.
Mad Mackie in CT:smile:

Thanks Mad Mackle. I will do that right now. Mike Carpenter

C

Carpe

Thanks Mad Mackle. I will do that right now. Mike Carpenter
The old manuals did not have my "99" Hustler as I could tell. Picked the closet one and there it was (Oil Reservoir) it holds 5 quarts of 10W 40W oil or 1" down on the Reservoir screen. The Cap on the Reservoir is supposed to be replaced at 500 hours. I read the different elements such as Air Filter / Deck Belt etc, replacement hours and it seems I need quite a bit of updating / replacement to do. The old John Deere's I traded for this Hustler served me well but the Hustler reduces the cutting time and is much more rugged for my property. I bought Flex Forks for it now I need a good "Suspension Seat" to save whats left of my back and neck (5 surgeries). I'm looking at a Northern (Michigan Seat) any ideas? Thanks again, Mike Carpenter

M

Mad Mackie

I see that hustlerturf.com has updated the manuals section and dropped off the older machines.
Check this link, it is a pdf of the manual for your machine.
http://www.hustlerturf.com/images/product_manuals/350157.pdf
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

M

Mad Mackie

Hi Mike,
Check this link to an eBay seller with a nice seat.
Grammer MSG75 Brown Vinyl Air Seat Fits Scag ZTR Zero Turn Mowers Turf Tiger | eBay
I have been thinking about one of these seats for my Scag Tiger Cub, this seat retails for $1,200. Grammer has a nice website describing their seats.

C

Carpe

I see that hustlerturf.com has updated the manuals section and dropped off the older machines.
Check this link, it is a pdf of the manual for your machine.
http://www.hustlerturf.com/images/product_manuals/350157.pdf
Thanks Mad Mackie I went to the site it will definitely help. Thanks again, I'll look at the seat you suggested...

chemingthroughtheleather

chemingthroughtheleather

Re: the upgraded seat...A member commented on "redneck mods" a few months ago.He recommended using a very inexpensive tubed tire from Tractor Supply(he gave model #).He posted a pic indicating how he placed it on the mower.I plan on doing this myself but I'm a cheap skate with a bad wallet!:thumbsup:

C

Carpe

Re: the upgraded seat...A member commented on "redneck mods" a few months ago.He recommended using a very inexpensive tubed tire from Tractor Supply(he gave model #).He posted a pic indicating how he placed it on the mower.I plan on doing this myself but I'm a cheap skate with a bad wallet!:thumbsup:
Is it a tube and a tire or just the tube. i would like to see a pic of that. Thanks for the heads up, Mike Carpenter