New spindle bearings, still howling

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
That why I asked what size was those pin holes. As I may have to get another pin wrench. My current adjustable pin wrench only has one size pin.

Actually I am surprised you got the spindle apart. The last Ariens Zoom I worked on the hub was rusted solid to the threads. nothing I had would break it apart. I think that is why that Ariens.Gravely only offers complete spindles on these.

That's why I replaced these spindle assembly's back in 2019. Threads were stretched from over tightening the blades. Making it impossible to get the inner nut out.
But being only a few years old, and the customer keeps it under his carport. I may end up just replacing the assembly's if the new bearings don't stop the noise.

Gord Baker

Threads
ZT42. 915178

The deck bearings where howling so after replacing them with new, after tightening them up, they still howl. Especially one, that has resistance when I turn the blade. Remove the spindle, and rotate the bearings with your finger, and they're quiet as a mouse. Nice and smooth.

These are the spindles that has no nut on top. One nut, with two holes that pull the bearings together, with a spacer and hold them in place. (countersinks into the bottom of the spindle) Then has the blade nut.

Bearings are square in their place. Spacers are all in.

I replaced these spindles 4 years ago, almost to the date, with OEM.

Also, I'm thinking about removing the inside seals on these bearings, since I can't remember where I got them, and installing grease zerks. What's a good grease to use?

Thanks in advance.

Gord Baker

Threads
Perhaps one of the Idler Pulleys has bad bearings.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
So after installing the new PGN bearings, I noticed something. Once they're in place, the center race is a tad tighter than before installing them.
So I'm guessing that Gravely has Peer make their outer race OD just a .00? smaller than the common size that's available. Everyone spindle housing had to be spotless (where the bearing fits). And even then it was a tight fit. If these come back in next year, I'm going to get a stainless wirewheel and hone them a just enough for the new bearings to only be snug.
Or just install new spindle assembly's.

Gord Baker

Threads
The bearings are manufactured to be a Press/Interference fit. You don't want the Cup (outer) spinning in the Spindle and wrecking it. Check the bearings in the Idler pulleys.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Nor do want the inner loose on the spindle shaft. I got Husqvarna HWT625 trimmers that I have to have the spindle shafts knurled because if left loose the bearing will wear out the spindle shaft journals quickly.

Now here is a question what were the original bearing PN? Something might be off spec wise. But as said it should be a good tight fit so they don't spin other than as intended.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
The bearings are manufactured to be a Press/Interference fit. You don't want the Cup (outer) spinning in the Spindle and wrecking it. Check the bearings in the Idler pulleys.

All of those are fine. I checked those first. (always)

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nor do want the inner loose on the spindle shaft. I got Husqvarna HWT625 trimmers that I have to have the spindle shafts knurled because if left loose the bearing will wear out the spindle shaft journals quickly.

Now here is a question what were the original bearing PN? Something might be off spec wise. But as said it should be a good tight fit so they don't spin other than as intended.

I didn't even check the ID fit.

Thinking back, the spindle shaft slid right on in, without much resistance at all. But thinking further, I mowed about 1 acre after putting everything back together and it mowed fine.

I'm glad you mentioned that. I'll be checking closer next time I get deck bearings. In fact, it's probably a good idea to measure the spindle shafts. As they may wear .00?.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
1693160767604.jpeg

The inner races of both bearings and the spacer rotate as an assembly . If both bearings outer race is a press fit and the spacer is NOT the same length as the outer bearings seat distance apart , as i mentioned before the bearings get a tremendous Pre-load . ie , the bearings get their guts either pushed out or pulled in when the blade nut is tightened .

Yes , on a new both bearings feel free and just fine but that shaft with the spacer hasn't been installed .

With a grinder either bearing can be made to be a push fit but only 1 needs to be . Trying to modify the housing ? Well , You'd have more success putting tooth paste back in the tube .

Pictured is what happens in less than hour when the pro repair shop fails to put the spacer in on BIL mower .