New Purchase Gravely ZT XL

alteredz

Threads
Congrats - I'm probably going to get a ZT HD in the near future.

I have a question for you guys about the mulch kit - How does it cut if the grass is a little wet (I know, how do you quantify a little - but not soaking, but dew on the grass).

Pete

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Congrats - I'm probably going to get a ZT HD in the near future.

I have a question for you guys about the mulch kit - How does it cut if the grass is a little wet (I know, how do you quantify a little - but not soaking, but dew on the grass).

Pete

I avoid cutting wet grass like a plague(try to wait at least 48 hours after a rain and mow late afternoons where the sun has dried the dew). I have "had to" mow once or twice with the grass wet and what happens is the grass clipping buildup under the deck is twice as bad as mowing when the grass is dry. You can tell, though, by my earlier comments how impressed I am by the Gravely OEM mulch kit. I assume the exact same kit would fit your ZT HD 52(once you get it:0

If you install the Gravely mulch kit, even if you mow with a little dew on the grass, the clipping buildup under the deck will be much less than it would without the mulch kit and if you get a good deal on the ZT HD it won't be too bad to spend an extra $200 to complete your purchase with a mulch kit. Maybe in a few weeks you could offer the dealer $5,000 OTD, including an installed mulch kit, and finance everything for 48 months @ 0%. That would still be a sweet deal!!!

keeplearnin

Threads
I echo what djdicetn says. I have never actually mowed when it was wet and because I am just mowing my own lawn, I don't ever plan to unless crunched for time before getting out of town or something. I went over some leaves the other day with my mulch kit and they disintegrated into the grass with no trace and this is just on my little 42". If you get yourself into a ZT HD, that mower will be a very nice machine. One day I will hopefully live on some more land and get into a ZT HD or Pro 100 territory like djdicetn!

alteredz

Threads
I echo what djdicetn says. I have never actually mowed when it was wet and because I am just mowing my own lawn, I don't ever plan to unless crunched for time before getting out of town or something. I went over some leaves the other day with my mulch kit and they disintegrated into the grass with no trace and this is just on my little 42". If you get yourself into a ZT HD, that mower will be a very nice machine. One day I will hopefully live on some more land and get into a ZT HD or Pro 100 territory like djdicetn!

Thanks keeplearnin - I appreciate the feedback! The leaf shredding is an interesting reason to have the mulch kit... It seems like it's always wet here. With the humidity, it starts getting wet in the late afternoon. If it's rained the night before, and humid that day - it won't dry out...

I avoid cutting wet grass like a plague(try to wait at least 48 hours after a rain and mow late afternoons where the sun has dried the dew). I have "had to" mow once or twice with the grass wet and what happens is the grass clipping buildup under the deck is twice as bad as mowing when the grass is dry. You can tell, though, by my earlier comments how impressed I am by the Gravely OEM mulch kit. I assume the exact same kit would fit your ZT HD 52(once you get it:0

If you install the Gravely mulch kit, even if you mow with a little dew on the grass, the clipping buildup under the deck will be much less than it would without the mulch kit and if you get a good deal on the ZT HD it won't be too bad to spend an extra $200 to complete your purchase with a mulch kit. Maybe in a few weeks you could offer the dealer $5,000 OTD, including an installed mulch kit, and finance everything for 48 months @ 0%. That would still be a sweet deal!!!

Thanks, dj! The dealer says with our humid weather, the mulch kit is not recommended. He could have tried to sell it but didn't. Liking this guy more and more.

Sunsetjack

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Guys just wanted to take some time and introduce myself and let you know for about a month now I have been the proud owner of a Gravely ZT XL 42 mower. In short, this mower has been a phenomenal purchase for me and well worth all the research that I had did. Before you go any further, I apologize about the long winded post but I am very passionate about mowing and wanted to provide a good resource for someone else who may be interested in purchasing this mower.

Some of you may know me due to my problem I had with another dealer that sold me a brand new but 2 year old Toro Timecutter SS4260. I ending up returning this mower to the dealer due their unethical way of doing business. Little did I know that whole situation was a blessing in disguise. After that whole debacle I went back to the drawing board and really thought again about what I wanted. I have just under .75 acres of property to mow. I was having some trouble holding the slightly aggressive 12 to 15 degree slopes in my yard with the Toro and was dead set on getting a zero turn so I had to find a solution. The only problem was that I ultimately ended up having to spend another 1k to solve my problem. I ended up purchasing the Gravely ZT XL for all the reason listed below.

Good brand that you can only get from a dealer
I live in Wisconsin and love to support not only local dealerships but local companies too. Gravely痴 are made about an hour from where I live
Fabricated deck (the baby version of the X factor deck haha)
The 42 Deck fits through my 48 inch gate opening. Nothing bigger would fit.
Serviceable ZT2800 Hydros (I plan to own this mower for a long time)
Kawi Engine
No problems mowing the culverts around my house
Triple blade setup with a real mulch kit with baffles
Comfortable seat
Gravely Customer Service
That Gravely Red

I have been thinking over the past number of weeks it is a very short list of mowers that you can get all these features for 4 grand or less in a deck size of 42? Some come close like the Hustler Raptor but you don't get the serviceable hydros. Actually I will go on the record and say that I think the Gravely ZT XL is the best 42 zero turn on the market if you can get it with the Kawasaki engine. Anyhow, I have included a few pics so you can check it out. Let me know if you have any questions or want to know anything else about it.

View attachment 22238View attachment 22239View attachment 22240View attachment 22241View attachment 22242View attachment 22243

Hello, I am looking at the ZT42" X for $3499.00 or XL for $3999.00. Haggle free pricing. They do have Kohler 7000 engines on them now. Curious if you are still happy with your ZT42" XL? Have you had any major problems? Thanks

NormanB

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I am looking at the ZT42" X for $3499.00 or XL for $3999.00. Haggle free pricing. They do have Kohler 7000 engines on them now. Curious if you are still happy with your ZT42" XL? Have you had any major problems? Thanks

Yep, they have Kohlers now. The Kawasaki engine isn't available on the ZTXL right now.

Does anyone know what engine next year's model will have?