New member with new (used) LT155 and questions.

TerryD

Threads
Hello everyone. I found this forum the other night while researching used lawn tractors. My old Toro Recycler quit moving under it's own power so I went shopping for a rider. I found what I think was a decent deal at one of the local JD dealerships - a 1998 or 1999 (not sure exactly which yet) LT 155 with 42" Freedom deck and Hydro drive for $800. It seems to have been well taken care of so we will see. I'm new to JD but not to riders. The last was a Cub Cadet that really did a swell job.

Anyway, long story short. Does anyone have any insight as to what to watch for with these LT 155's? The hydrostat pump seems to be making a bit more noise than it did at the dealership, and when I asked the guy that delivered it about changing the oil in the hydrostat, he said that you don't. They are sealed at the factory and when worn out, most folks just replace the entire tractor. That was a suprise as I was expecting to be able to change the oil in it.

I hope I haven't made a mistake here.

Oh, and I have to say there is a wealth of info here! Great forum!!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF....

That uses a K51 trans-axle, it is referred to as not serviceable ... but it is & should be... you have to remove the thing to service it, not really too difficult, remove belt, 6 bolts and the input linkage... clean it up good and dump the old oil out & clean an internal screen filter... replace with 5w40 OR 15-50 Synthetic engine oil....
will take about 2 quarts ...

You should change the oil, it'll make a world of difference...
But if you don't, at least clean and keep clean the Top of the trans axle, and check that the cooling fan is intact and not all plugged up with grass... To do this proper, remove the rear wheels... you will have a great view of the top of the transaxle .... & you may see how easily the complete thing comes out and just decide to change the oil.... :smile:KennyV

TerryD

Threads
Great. That is what I was hoping for. I figured someone put it together, and was able to add oil. So, someone has to be able to take it back out when necessary.

Are these pretty tough tractors overall? I don't abuse my equipment, but expect it to go the distance.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
They are the lower level lawn mower... but given 'reasonable' care should last and do what they were designed to do... A very good start is changing that old hydraulic oil...
The girls down the road from me have been using one to mow around 5 acres for years now... I tell them every year that it was Never intended to do that ... but so far it is going well...:smile:KennyV