New Lazer HP Owner

seabrz

Threads
Good Morning,

Over the weekend I purchased a used Lazer X HP, 2004 with 607 hours. 48" deck with a 20 HP Kohler and an UltraVac. This will be for home use mowing approximately 3 acres.

The machine seems to be in good shape, and was used as a homeowner machine in its previous life - no commercial use, so they said.

The only issue is that it is very jerky starting off, turning at low speeds, and backing is a nightmare. Not bad when you are mowing at 4 mph. I have never used a zero turn before, so I think some of teh problem is me. I read the previous posts and this problem is not uncommon, and can be cured, or at least helped, by replacing the dampeners. I looked at mine this morning, and one has some oil at the bottom of the piston, so I'm hopeful this is the only issue.

My question is simple: You can buy aftermarket ones all day for about 30 buck apiece. Also, the eXmark P/N 109-2339 has been superceded by a Toro number (no surprise). The Dealer wants 60 each. Is there any advantage is paying the Dealer premium other than to keep him in business in case something really goes wrong?

Has anyone used the web/eBay/Amazon dampeners, and are they the same quality at the OEM?

And any other words of ownership wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lou