New IS 3200, disappointed, need advice

tonyabitz

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a new Ferris IS 3200 61" this spring. Had a John Deere 265 Lawn Tractor 17 hp with a 46" deck for the last 15 years. I wanted to cut down my mowing time, which I did, however, this thing is hard to get used to.
I have about 4 acres with lots of trees, small and large, and I thought then zero turn would solve my proiblems. It does turn circles fast, but the 26" tires are tearing up my lawn, and grabbing my shrubs and bushes and running over the low limbs that get pulled in by the big rear tires.
The extra width of the deck allows the blades to find rock and roots that were never a problem before (mowing height is set at 3"). It is also scalping areas where there is a slight roll or hill.
The ROPS is way too high, even when folded, and hits tree limbs if I'm not very careful. I'm thinking of shortening the ROPS or removing it.
I think this machine would be awsome mowing large flat fields, but I'm having difficulty with my lawn.
This machine is really fast, and has a pretty comfortable ride, 2 things I was looking for, but I feel I over bought. I think I'd have been better off with a 54" diesle lawn tractor, or maybe a 4 wheel steer unit. Due to the price of the Ferris, I don't feel I can walk away from and sell it for anywhere near what I paid. Any advice or recomendantions on the above issues are appreciated.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
It's still under warranty, take it back & tell them you are not satisfied & want your money back, read all literature so you'll be familiar with return policy. Then go shop & try out mowers that interest you. Let us know what you decide to do, thanks.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The transition from a riding tractor to a ZTR can be dramatic for some folk.
Wider decks increase the scalping problem particularly on a ZTR.
Although called a Zero Turn, making zero turns will tear up turf. Generally a taller and wider tire reduces turf damage and improves ride quality.
Should you decide to stay with this machine or get another smaller ZTR, you will still need to become accustomed to the handling which will happen as time passes.
I bought a Scag 48" Tiger Cub in 2008 and it took me 150 hours to get comfortable with handling this machine. Having been a part time lawn care guy for 30 years using high end Ingersoll GTs, the transition to a ZTR was not easy for me. However at this time with 700 hours on my Tiger Cub and 250 hours on my Hustler X-ONE, I'm fine with ZTRs and should have gotten a ZTR sooner.:laughing:

Chugbug

Threads
What you're describing isn't a warranty issue and a refund probably won't happen. ZTs take some time to get use to operating, turning the zt without digging up your yard takes practice but once you've mastered operating you'll never look back.

SARG

Threads
Gotta agree with Chugbug ........... the more you use the machine the better you'll get and the Ferris is a much better tool than any lawn or garden tracor.

Nightwind15

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's still under warranty, take it back & tell them you are not satisfied & want your money back, read all literature so you'll be familiar with return policy. Then go shop & try out mowers that interest you. Let us know what you decide to do, thanks.

I wager that ain't going to happen. I have the 3100 with 37 HP Kaw engine and the size of the machine requires some getting used to. After mowing for a full season and on my second nothing too it any more. Slow down on the turn and don't reverse the inside wheel as much. My yard is pretty soft and looks great with the big 3100 cutting it.
:wink:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Friend of mine went from a 42" deck tractor to a 54" deck, & he was very unhappy cause he was not accustomed to the much wider deck. Now he knows how to approach the dips & other areas that he was scalping. Just took some time.

But I think he went too big on deck size, since he does more push mowing.

jamdsb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a new Ferris IS 3200 61" this spring. Had a John Deere 265 Lawn Tractor 17 hp with a 46" deck for the last 15 years. I wanted to cut down my mowing time, which I did, however, this thing is hard to get used to.
I have about 4 acres with lots of trees, small and large, and I thought then zero turn would solve my proiblems. It does turn circles fast, but the 26" tires are tearing up my lawn, and grabbing my shrubs and bushes and running over the low limbs that get pulled in by the big rear tires.
The extra width of the deck allows the blades to find rock and roots that were never a problem before (mowing height is set at 3"). It is also scalping areas where there is a slight roll or hill.
The ROPS is way too high, even when folded, and hits tree limbs if I'm not very careful. I'm thinking of shortening the ROPS or removing it.
I think this machine would be awsome mowing large flat fields, but I'm having difficulty with my lawn.
This machine is really fast, and has a pretty comfortable ride, 2 things I was looking for, but I feel I over bought. I think I'd have been better off with a 54" diesle lawn tractor, or maybe a 4 wheel steer unit. Due to the price of the Ferris, I don't feel I can walk away from and sell it for anywhere near what I paid. Any advice or recomendantions on the above issues are appreciated.

look it is just what I am looking for here is my phone call me 678 838 3458 I would like to buy it if we can come to terms

jamdsb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I wager that ain't going to happen. I have the 3100 with 37 HP Kaw engine and the size of the machine requires some getting used to. After mowing for a full season and on my second nothing too it any more. Slow down on the turn and don't reverse the inside wheel as much. My yard is pretty soft and looks great with the big 3100 cutting it.
:wink:

is the kaw motor better than the briggs more power or what

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Friend of mine went from a 42" deck tractor to a 54" deck, & he was very unhappy cause he was not accustomed to the much wider deck. Now he knows how to approach the dips & other areas that he was scalping. Just took some time.

But I think he went too big on deck size, since he does more push mowing.

YEp,
Got moe than one customer who bought the big deck which looks so easy & convienant doing a few laps of th car park, then found out they could only mow 1/4 of the yard that they used to do with the old small deck.