Export thread

New Husky M-ZT 52, fuel additives

O

oleblu72

Just bought a new 2014 Husky M-ZT 52. The dealer advised me to run some kind of fuel additive because of the ethanol and to use a mid octane fuel or better. What brand of additives are you guys using against the ethanol? He told me that Stabil fuel additive is no good, they had some fuel additives there but I wasn't paying attention as to what brands they were, thanks.

Mark

djdicetn

djdicetn

Just bought a new 2014 Husky M-ZT 52. The dealer advised me to run some kind of fuel additive because of the ethanol and to use a mid octane fuel or better. What brand of additives are you guys using against the ethanol? He told me that Stabil fuel additive is no good, they had some fuel additives there but I wasn't paying attention as to what brands they were, thanks.

Mark

This always triggers such a debate...but here goes. IMHO, I recommend that you use ethanol-free gas with 89 or 91 Octane rating. Firstly, you won't need to worry about protecting your fuel system from ethanol and secondly you will get better "gas mileage" which will offset the additional cost. I don't know why your dealer said Stabil was no good unless he was implying it was "not specifically designed for ethanol treatment". But it is a very good fuel system cleaner and additive to prevent gas-related problems and I use it myself in 91 Octane ethanol-free gas. Now for an old engine having "fuel problems" I would recommend SeaFoam which will unclog/clean fuel systems very well. And it is also a very good gasoline conditioner/cleaner that can be used like Stabil for keeping your fuel system clean. There are many other brands and I'm sure some other users will chime in and tell you about what works well for them.

Carscw

Carscw

Why add more crap to your gas?
Your engine is made to run on E10.
Adding more crap to the gas just delutes it more.

I run E10 but I use 15 gallons a day.
If I was just cutting my yard I would use pure gas. Maybe.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Why add more crap to your gas?
Your engine is made to run on E10.
Adding more crap to the gas just delutes it more.

I run E10 but I use 15 gallons a day.
If I was just cutting my yard I would use pure gas. Maybe.

I agree, using stabilizer or pure gas when you mow as much as you do and go through gas as quickly as you do doesn't make sense, but do you really think that a regular homeowner adding 1 ounce of Stabil per 5gals of gas for daily use and 2 ounces of Stabil per 5gals of gas for winter storage dilutes the gas that much and isn't beneficial in regard to keeping the fuel system clean???

Carscw

Carscw

I agree, using stabilizer or pure gas when you mow as much as you do and go through gas as quickly as you do doesn't make sense, but do you really think that a regular homeowner adding 1 ounce of Stabil per 5gals of gas for daily use and 2 ounces of Stabil per 5gals of gas for winter storage dilutes the gas that much and isn't beneficial in regard to keeping the fuel system clean???

I knew I should have stayed out of this whole thing.

I think it's all hype.

I still do not buy into it that ethanol does any harm at all. I blame it on parts made cheap to save a penny.

S

Shughes717

Mark

If you want to use a fuel additive the products djdicetn mentioned will work great. If you know a local small engine mechanic talk to them and get their opinion on the matter. I prefer to run ethanol free gas in my mower, but I ran ethanol gas in my mower for years with no issues. I used sea foam once in the spring with my first tank of fuel this year, but have gone other winters without using any fuel additives.

BlazNT

BlazNT

I use 91 octane no ethanol. I use 2.5 gal a weekend. When I ran 89 octane I ran 3.25 gal a weekend.

O

oleblu72

Thanks for all your opinions guys but I really don't know where to get ethanol free gas. I asked a local independent gas station owner and I never did get an answer out of him other than it would cost me $.40 more a gallon. I bought gas at Speedway so its either 10 or 15% ethanol . Had to buy gas there because my dealer only gave me enough gas to run for about 15 minutes ,but he did give me a very nice plastic key fob for all the money I gave him.

Mark

BlazNT

BlazNT

In my part of the country Springfield Missouri, Conoco/Philips 66 91 octane has none.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Thanks for all your opinions guys but I really don't know where to get ethanol free gas. I asked a local independent gas station owner and I never did get an answer out of him other than it would cost me $.40 more a gallon. I bought gas at Speedway so its either 10 or 15% ethanol . Had to buy gas there because my dealer only gave me enough gas to run for about 15 minutes ,but he did give me a very nice plastic key fob for all the money I gave him.

Mark

Check out the link below...it doesn't show any stations in Fowler, OH but I don't know which towns it lists that you are close to:

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

djdicetn

djdicetn

I knew I should have stayed out of this whole thing.

I think it's all hype.

I still do not buy into it that ethanol does any harm at all. I blame it on parts made cheap to save a penny.

That's OK....I told the OP it was "controversial"....kinda like the "oil debate". Your opinion is just as valid as mine:0)

O

oleblu72

Check out the link below...it doesn't show any stations in Fowler, OH but I don't know which towns it lists that you are close to:

Thanks for the link Dj but I can't make it work. I called my dealer and he sells Ethanol Shield
and Startron so I think I'll just make a trip in there and buy one of those products, thanks again.

Mark

O

oleblu72

Thanks for the link Dj but I can't make it work. I called my dealer and he sells Ethanol Shield
and Startron fuel treatment so I think I'll just make a trip in there and buy one of those products, thanks again.

Mark

Carscw

Carscw

That's OK....I told the OP it was "controversial"....kinda like the "oil debate". Your opinion is just as valid as mine:0)

Not to change the subject but I have always used 30 weight oil. The other day I did my weekly oil change on my toro. Put in 5-30 full synthetic. On the second day my wife asked why I was getting the yards done faster. Told her the engine is just not bogging down in the thick grass. Has to be the oil.

A engine builder did a test a few years ago
Put a engine in the dyno. Only thing he changed was the oil. Each oil gave different hp and torque. So not all oil is the same. I think he did 6 different brands.

O

oleblu72

Not to change the subject but I have always used 30 weight oil. The other day I did my weekly oil change on my toro. Put in 5-30 full synthetic. On the second day my wife asked why I was getting the yards done faster. Told her the engine is just not bogging down in the thick grass. Has to be the oil.

Put a engine in the dyno. Only thing he changed was the oil. Each oil gave different hp and torque. So not all oil is the same. I think he did 6 different brands.

This sounds interesting.

Mark

djdicetn

djdicetn

and Startron so I think I'll just make a trip in there and buy one of those products, thanks again.

Mark

I've never heard of either of those gas additives, maybe someone else can provide you some feedback on them. The link seems to work fine for me but you can just put Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada into your browser to get there.

OK....I didn't realize the forum software would turn that into another link so try www . pure-gas . org(all run together:0)

S

Shughes717

I would be very interested in reading the engine builders results. Can you either provide the link, or give us the title so we can google it? Do you remember which brands were tested?

Carscw

Carscw

I would be very interested in reading the engine builders results. Can you either provide the link, or give us the title so we can google it? Do you remember which brands were tested?

I watched it in hot rod tv.

I do not know of anyone trying this on a small engine. I do know of a dirt track engine builder that did a few test.
I do not use the same oil in my mowers as I do my dirt car as it runs $13 a quart

Oil against Oil..Side by side Oil Comparison

Horsepower from Lubricants - Regular oil Vs Racing Synthetic

Carscw

Carscw

I did my weekly oil change and put in 5-30 synthetic. ( I use 30 ) for the first time and noticed the engine ran stronger. Did not bog down as much in thick grass.

The difference was so much that my wife even noticed it. I cut the yards faster.

I will try this oil in a few of my mowers to see if they all run stronger.

I will still run the napa gold oil filters as they are the best filter made.

S

Shughes717

I did my weekly oil change and put in 5-30 synthetic. ( I use 30 ) for the first time and noticed the engine ran stronger. Did not bog down as much in thick grass.

The difference was so much that my wife even noticed it. I cut the yards faster.

I will try this oil in a few of my mowers to see if they all run stronger.

I will still run the napa gold oil filters as they are the best filter made.

Keep us posted on that. Very interesting, I would like to see someone do a scientific study with a Dino. It makes some sense that different viscosity oil may change the power a little.

O

oleblu72

I've never heard of either of those gas additives, maybe someone else can provide you some feedback on them. The link seems to work fine for me but you can just put Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada into your browser to get there.

OK....I didn't realize the forum software would turn that into another link so try www . pure-gas . org(all run together:0)

Thanks Dj I found a station that handles the gas about 40 miles from the house, I think I'll just run the additive.

Looks like I did a double post don't know how that happened I don't recall hitting the submit button twice. Mods if you would be so kind you can delete the extra post sorry.

Mark

djdicetn

djdicetn

Thanks Dj I found a station that handles the gas about 40 miles from the house, I think I'll just run the additive.

Looks like I did a double post don't know how that happened I don't recall hitting the submit button twice. Mods if you would be so kind you can delete the extra post sorry.

Mark
Yeah, I would re-think using the non-ethanol if I had to drive 40 miles to get it(my station is about 4 miles from my house:0)

C

clay45

I use 91 octane no ethanol. I use 2.5 gal a weekend. When I ran 89 octane I ran 3.25 gal a weekend.

I use non-ethanol whenever I can in my truck & my equipment. Small engines with Walbro style carbs have been expecially sensitive to ethanol in gasoline even though new manufacture has supposedly caught up with new diaphram and gasket materiels to address it. I just know I haven't had the problems with my stuff that some of my friends have.

Yeah, I know the ethanol produces more power because it allows more oxygen to burn in the mix than gas does but it comes at a cost in fuel economy and in the US, higher taxes and cost shifting for corn producers. It also attracts moisture. I just avoid it when I can and use it when I have to. No additives to my gas. If I'm not going to be using it I run it dry at the end of the season.