New Guy - Stihl Blower Frustration

serranot

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I have a Stihl BG72. It ran pretty good, but wouldn't idle all that well, so I thought I'd rebuild the carb. I purchased the kit and everything seemed to go well. However, the thing floods to the point that I can pour a 1/2 cup of gas out of the cylinder, exhaust, etc, after trying to start it. I relooked the needle valve assembly, etc, and everything seems to be correctly assembled. I even watched a couple of YouTube videos and read a couple of assembly articles, so I think I put it together right. At this point I am frustrated.

Suggestions are welcomed. Thank you.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...
Are you sure you have the fuel lines connected properly.... that's a lot of fuel ... :smile:KennyV

Slippery Pete

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just rebuilt my bg75 carb which I assume is similar. I hope you got that micro spring back correctly for the needle valve. It can be a frustrating procedure. Did you use the correct parts. My kit seemed to provide both the correct and incorrect parts for my carb in an apparent wasteful cost cutter that could cause confusion.

Lawnranger

Threads
On the metering side of the carburetor the gasket should go on first and then the diaphragm. If reversed, the needle could be held open and it will flood like you are stating. Also, the large round disc on the diaphragm goes in toward the carburetor body. On the fuel pump side it's just the reverse-the thin diaphragm goes against the carburetor body and then the gasket. Double check just to make sure. Also check the metering lever height and function. The metering lever should pivot easily when you depress the lever in the center of the carburetor and spring back to close the needle, if not you have a problem there. The other option is to replace the carburetor if everything else checks out.

Lawnranger

mikehonda

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I have a Stihl BG72. It ran pretty good, but wouldn't idle all that well, so I thought I'd rebuild the carb. I purchased the kit and everything seemed to go well. However, the thing floods to the point that I can pour a 1/2 cup of gas out of the cylinder, exhaust, etc, after trying to start it. I relooked the needle valve assembly, etc, and everything seems to be correctly assembled. I even watched a couple of YouTube videos and read a couple of assembly articles, so I think I put it together right. At this point I am frustrated.

Suggestions are welcomed. Thank you.

The needle is stuck open or you have the lines connected improperly. The needle lever should be adjusted so that the levers tip is flush with the casting on the carb body. Anything that sticks the needle no matter how small can do this. Also if it is what i think it maybe theres a little one way valve if you spray into it with carb spray you end up swelling the rubber pretty much ruining that carb. The price of new carbs is sometimes shocking how cheap they can be often so cheap its less time and money in the end just to replace the carb. Stihl has gone super cheap crap with chinese zama carbs on alot of their equiptment and in fact i no longer recommend stihl products after 35 years of servicing outdoor power equiptment.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Stihl has gone super cheap crap with chinese zama carbs on alot of their equiptment and in fact i no longer recommend stihl products after 35 years of servicing outdoor power equiptment.

And I thought it was just me!!