Need help

ccrider2420

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hope you checked and set valve clearance. I agree with StarTech, in other words, something isn’t adding up.
Yea it's strange but I removed the valves to make sure the guides weren't slipping out and both valve seals were in place and looked good. This mower has never had any repairs since it was purchased so it's unlikely anyone just threw them in there extra. The holes in the block that the pushrods go into are a perfect snug fit for the seals. Did have one fellow say he had a vw that had seals on the pushrods. Will definately adjust the valves when I get the new seals and reassemble it.
Thanks for the input.

heyinway

Threads
Those seals go on the valve stem under the valve spring on the head....no where else. No small equipment engine uses anything on the pushrods.

ccrider2420

Forum Newbie
Threads
Those seals go on the valve stem under the valve spring on the head....no where else. No small equipment engine uses anything on the pushrods.
You are correct! duh my brain finally started working and it dawned on my this was a v-twin, took off the other side and no seals! Now still consider this as strange since this mower was purchased new, has never been in a shop for anything, I can only assume these were thrown in there during the original assembly process.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That about like finding a shop rag inside an engine last week. It was a miracle it didn't cause any problems.

lbrac

Threads
If you purchased a head gasket set, could the seals have fallen out unseen when the package was opened? The seals look new; no oil. How well does the pushrod fit the hole in the seal?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The seals go on the end of the valve guide to prevent oil being sucked into the engine during the induction stroke
Usually the inlet has one and the exhaust does not as when the exhaust valve is open the engine is pushing gasses out
They are installed by putting them inside the smallest socket that they will fit and tapping onto the end of the guide before the valve goes in