Need help with the clutch??

TonyR

Threads
Hi, I'm a newbie and hope someone can help solve my problem.

I bought an old 1996 Murray 12 hp, 38" and had no problems til now. I tried to download a manual for it but couldn't find a listing. It's a Mod. 38702X8D.

Ok, the brakes didn't work when I bought it but have been taking it very easy until i could try to fix them. Well last week I started rolling downhill slowly and the only way to stop it was shift into 1st. When I did the drive belt popped off and I finally think I figured out how it was routed. So I go about 35' and it just stopped and wouldn't pull in any gear. The belt is still on it. Since the clutch/brake don't feel right I think maybe I need to adjust the clutch but don't know how.

Thanks in advance for any help! :smile:

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi, I'm a newbie and hope someone can help solve my problem.

I bought an old 1996 Murray 12 hp, 38" and had no problems til now. I tried to download a manual for it but couldn't find a listing. It's a Mod. 38702X8D.

Ok, the brakes didn't work when I bought it but have been taking it very easy until i could try to fix them. Well last week I started rolling downhill slowly and the only way to stop it was shift into 1st. When I did the drive belt popped off and I finally think I figured out how it was routed. So I go about 35' and it just stopped and wouldn't pull in any gear. The belt is still on it. Since the clutch/brake don't feel right I think maybe I need to adjust the clutch but don't know how.

Thanks in advance for any help! :smile:
Trying to stop by putting the transmission in 1st may have sheared a key or worse. With the engine running and the transmission in neutral, determine if the pulley on top of the transmission is turning. If it is, put the transmission in a gear - any gear - and if the pulley is turning but the tractor isn't moving you broke something.

Clutch adjustments can come later if it isn't broke.

TonyR

Threads
Trying to stop by putting the transmission in 1st may have sheared a key or worse. With the engine running and the transmission in neutral, determine if the pulley on top of the transmission is turning. If it is, put the transmission in a gear - any gear - and if the pulley is turning but the tractor isn't moving you broke something.

Clutch adjustments can come later if it isn't broke.

Thanks man, I'll let you know. :thumbsup:

HANKLL

Forum Newbie
Threads
The brake is an easy adjustment as well.......just tighten the nut on the brake until the wheel can't be turned or the rider can't be free wheeled, and then back off the nut until it is just dragging the turning of the wheel. This will be all that is necessary to get brakes, assuming your brake disk is still usable. That may also be worn and need to be replaced. But the belt issue is either not routed correctly or is worn to the point of slipping. The fact the belt jumped off the pulleys indicated wear of the belt.

click on thumbnail to enlarge

Attachments

• Freebie trans oil change 003b.JPG
    Freebie trans oil change 003b.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 22