Export thread

Need Help Please MZT 52

D

DAJOKER69

I have had the mower almost a couple of months. Will not turn over. Seems like a safety switch is not working. Battery is charged. PTO is working. I checked the brake switch and it is pushed in. I can hear the seat switch when i put pressure on the seat. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I leave for a 3 week training period monday as i am active duty. I got to get this fixed before i leave so that is why i am in desperate need of some help.

And yes i drove a hour and a half to the dealer this morning for them to tell me no technicians are working today. i tried calling the dealer yesterday most of the day to verify if a technician would be there today and no one answered the phone.

thanks for your help in advance.

B

Brian902

What year is your mower?

Or better yet, what is the serial number;

found manuals for these.

Owner's manuals & Parts Lookup | Husqvarna Canada

D

DAJOKER69

What year is your mower?

Or better yet, what is the serial number;

found manuals for these.

Owner's manuals & Parts Lookup | Husqvarna Canada

967177001 it is a 2014. bought it new last month.

B

Brian902

Page 27 of this manual has starting procedure.

Page 27.jpg

Go to link above and download your manual if you don't already have one.

That's the best I can do as I don't have one of these and never looked over one.

Safety is a big deal with all new mowers and unless the starting procedure is followed lots will not start.

Deck up, brake on, driver sitting in seat, in neutral if it has a transmission, clutch pushed in.

All that kind of stuff.

They are trying to save us from ourselves, but it does get complicated.

Good Luck.

Over and out.
Brian

PS; site will not allow big files or pictures to be uploaded here. too bad.

D

DAJOKER69

Thanks. I already checked all of that. Thank you for responding.

B

Brian902

Okay Joker,

Now the hard stuff.

Don't get mad.

Do you have fuel in the gas tank and is the on/off fuel shut off ON?

Is there oil in the crankcase and it's up to the proper level on the dip stick?

Can you locate any of the safety sensors and see if the wires are still attached or they are engaging?

Lastly, check for fuses. I had a bad fuse on a John Deer that revealed itself when the hour meter did not light up.

Battery cables tight on the battery. Usual sign is the start clicks but doesn't start.

Was it running okay the last time you used it?

D

DAJOKER69

All fluid levels are good. Fuses are good. The motor will not turn over as if you were trying to crank it with the brake off. I have looked at all the sensors. Brake, seat and also the pto clicks when you engage and disengage it. Trust me I won't get mad at someone trying to help me

B

Brian902

Looks like two fuses 20 and 7.5

Loads of safety stuff according to wire diagram.

MZT52 Wiring.jpg

Any one of those could have failed.

Could mean another trip to dealer.

Brian

M

Mikel1

Are you starting with parking brake locked or by depressing brake manually?

D

DAJOKER69

The parking brake is locked. There is no pedal to press. It is a zero turn.

M

Mikel1

Okay, I would make sure brake switch is pressed all the way in.

D

DAJOKER69

Roger I did. I even put a small piece of shim on it to make sure it was pushing in all the way

M

Mikel1

Okay. Did you test the fuses or just take them out and look at them? Do you have a multimeter?

D

DAJOKER69

I just took the 20 amp out and looked at it. I have a multimeter. I could not find the 7.5 amp.

M

Mikel1

I would verify that you have 12+V to the ignition switch. If that is good then you are going to have to trace the S terminal(ignition switch) wire looking to see where the 12+V drops off while trying to start. Since it goes to the pto switch first then check voltage on the S terminal wire leading to then find the pto switch wire with voltage going to the next switch. Happy hunting

serelaw

serelaw

Try pulling the red blade engage button up and down several times
with the key held on. Mine did that and it was the solenoid.

D

DAJOKER69

Try pulling the red blade engage button up and down several times
with the key held on. Mine did that and it was the solenoid.

I tried the pto switch technique that you are talking about and that didnt work did the same thing with the brake. No luck. I tried to jump the hot side of the solenoid to the yellow wire post and nothing happened. I checked the battery and it has 12 volts.

B

Brian902

There is a 10 amp fuse as well.

MZT52 Wiring.jpg

MZT52 Fuses.jpg

This is something else.
MZT52 Troubleshooting.jpg

Can't find anything the shows the 10 amp fuse. Looked in all the manuals on the site.

M

Mikel1

I tried to jump the hot side of the solenoid to the yellow wire post and nothing happened.

Is this yellow wire connected to a tab on the solenoid?

D

DAJOKER69

Is this yellow wire connected to a tab on the solenoid?

yes it is

D

DAJOKER69

There is a 10 amp fuse as well.

View attachment 26773

View attachment 26774

This is something else.
View attachment 26775

Can't find anything the shows the 10 amp fuse. Looked in all the manuals on the site.

i have not seen the 10 amp fuse either. i have looked through my manual a couple of times and i think the 10 amp is an accessory fuse if you have accessories. i am at the point of giving up. i will just have to take it to the dealer when i get back in town. i really appreciate everyone trying to help. once it is fixed i will post what was wrong.

M

Mikel1

yes it is

Is this the only tab with a small wire on the solenoid? When you try to start any clicking at solenoid?

D

DAJOKER69

Is this the only tab with a small wire on the solenoid? When you try to start any clicking at solenoid?

Yes it is only one tab. There is no clicking noise. I jumped hot side to the starter and the engine bumped over.

M

Mikel1

Yes it is only one tab. There is no clicking noise. I jumped hot side to the starter and the engine bumped over.

I would connect a piece of wire direct to battery's positive, disconnect yellow wire from solenoid tab and touch the wire to the tab on solenoid. Also touch to starter post while you have it there. Finally might be getting somewhere.

D

DAJOKER69

I would connect a piece of wire direct to battery's positive, disconnect yellow wire from solenoid tab and touch the wire to the tab on solenoid. Also touch to starter post while you have it there. Finally might be getting somewhere.

Nothing happens when the solenoid post is touched. Bumps over when starter is touched.

M

Mikel1

Nothing happens when the solenoid post is touched. Bumps over when starter is touched.

Just to clarify when you touch the wire to tab, nothing but when wire touches solenoid post(starter side), starter turns. If this is correct then make sure solenoid is making good ground contact.

D

DAJOKER69

Just to clarify when you touch the wire to tab, nothing but when wire touches solenoid post(starter side), starter turns. If this is correct then make sure solenoid is making good ground contact.

ok i will check that later tonight. gotta get a hair cut and go put some gear together now though. i will definitely let you know. thank you again!

and thanks to everyone else also!

B

Brian902

Joker,
I think that other 10 amp fuse is a fusible link.

Could be Yellow/Red wire off the ignition switch to the electric clutch.

Like this setup and made to bubble up when broken;
https://www.google.ca/search?q=fusi...R3-F77g2M:&usg=__-y0nAODFzD-t0CvP8SMNBDTapBI=

But that would just mean the clutch or accessories would not engage and you are not there yet.

G

Gearjammer

My best guess just from what you've checked would be one of the fuses or safety switches. This could easily be a loosened safety switch that is not making the connection due to the switch loosening up or whatever the switch is protecting loosening up that is not EXACTLY making the switch. For example, the drive handles may be the tiniest bit off or the switch may have moved the tiniest bit, and the safety switch is telling itself that the arms are in the mowing position. Same with the mower clutch switch, and all the other safety switches, like the seat switches. You might try wiggling each a little,even if it looks OK. This is, of course only if it does not turn over when the key is turned. Another possibility that is less likely is less likely is a bod switch or bad starter connection. Let us know what you finally discover. Good luck. Gearjammer

D

DAJOKER69

I am really leaning toward the solenoid being bad. I have wiggled unplugged replugged all the safety switches and made sure all levers are in the correct position. I even tried a few tricks with the switches. I done want to do anything that would void my warranty as the mower is not a full two months old yet. I am thinking about buying a solenoid and putting it on early Monday before I leave. If that works then I'm good and my son can cut the yard. If not then I will swap the old one back on and take it to the dealer when I get back because they will not be able to tell that I swapped the solenoid.

G

Gearjammer

If you suspect the solenoid, you could either jump across the posts with a screwdriver while the switch is in the on position and everything else is ready to start(you're in the seat, mower clutch off, brake on, etc.) or you could jump from the battery to the starter which would tell you if it was the starter instead of the solenoid or loose connections somewhere. Again, good luck. Gearjammer

D

DAJOKER69

If you suspect the solenoid, you could either jump across the posts with a screwdriver while the switch is in the on position and everything else is ready to start(you're in the seat, mower clutch off, brake on, etc.) or you could jump from the battery to the starter which would tell you if it was the starter instead of the solenoid or loose connections somewhere. Again, good luck. Gearjammer

roger i did that yesterday and it bumped over. so that is why i am thinking solenoid.

B

Brian902

The solenoid is just a magnetic switch.

Applying 12 v to the input wire powers the magnet and if the solenoid has a ground make sure it has been grounded.

Once 12 v powers the solenoid you should here a click and the starter should turn over.

It probably will not start even if it's turning over because of the safety switch issues.

But if it does spin the engine that part of the electrical circuit is good.

I think you are not getting the proper 12v feed to the solenoid switch.

That is the contolling factor and it's wire is connected or powered by the feeds through all the safety systems.

B

Brian902

Here is a great little picture of a starting system.

If you have 12 volts at all the points in Yellow when the Key is on and the Starter is pressed, or key turned to the start position, your starter should be turning.

The wire in Red starts the whole process.

Everything else is already connected.

Feed to this wire is what gets things turning.

Loose connections or bad grounds are your enemy.

Attachments

D

DAJOKER69

Sorry for the late response but been busy getting set up with training. It was the solenoid. I bought one and installed it and it fired right up. Thanks to everyone that helped me find the problem!

M

Mikel1

Sounds good:thumbsup:

Y

YUT

I have the same mower with the same issue. it spent a month at the dealer here in Vicksburg and they ended up replacing all of the safety switches and all the wiring for the switches. the issue went away for a month, but now that it has sat all winter it is back to being a pain in the hind end. I got it to start the other day with a sequence of switch flipping and key bumps as well as several choice words thrown in...

My question to you is where did you get this solenoid from. I would rather troubleshoot this issue myself than to have it sit out in the weather waiting for the dealer to work on it again...

D

DAJOKER69

I bought the solenoid from my local Western Auto. They are an authorized dealer for Husq. Look at post 31 on here to troubleshoot the problem. Crazy thing is I had to replace the solenoid again about 3 months ago. At this rate I might buy one and have on standby.

It is crazy at the repair times for shops. I took mine to the dealer I bought it from in Meridian when i had the problem the first time and they told me it would be two weeks