Need help opening carburetor on Troy Bilt xp 22

yangkm

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a troy bilt xp 22 riding lawn mower and I believe the carburetor needs to be cleaned because it won't start. I have tried everything to get it opened except the hammer option where I bash it into pieces. I've tried turning the bottom piece a million times because I thought it was like a bolt holding the bowl/gasket together but unfortunately it does nothing when I turn it.

Link is here for carburetor:
Troy-Bilt XP 22 Carburetor - Imgur Link to the lawn mower:
http://www.troybilt.com/equipment/troybilt/horse-xp-lawn-tractor#cm_HEADER_OWNER_CENTER

Just some back ground: My lawn mower was put into my garage for 3 months and hasn't been powered on. I thought since it was the summer I didn't need to add the usual fuel stuff into the gas tank to keep it clean. I've bought a new battery, spark plug, drained the gas, cleaned the fuel lines/filter, poured new gas in there and it still does not power up. A new carb is about $120 bucks so I"m trying to clean it before I have to go out and spend more money on this thing. I also bought it in 2011... Thanks in advance for the advice/help!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You need to get a real thin 1/2 wrench to get between the bottom bowl and the barrel section of the solenoid on the bottom of the car, and unscrew
it to the left. Go to a hardware store and buy a cheapo wrench and grind it skinny, and keep that wrench, you'll need it again.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Try this first. Hold the top part of your carb in your left hand, Hold the bowl in your left, and rotate the whole bowl slowly to the left, it may just unscrew right off.

yangkm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I'll give it a shot and update you.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
A bike spanner will also do the job.

Attachments

• bike spanner.bmp
    709.8 KB · Views: 5

BustedKnuckles

Threads
I use ignition pliers and will tap the bowl lightly with a wrench until you feel, hear and see that is has broken loose from the bowl gasket. After removing the solenoid, hold pressure on the bowl while tapping. Clean the jet with a toothpick and make sure the bowl and everything else is clean.

If you just yank it off you may tear or break the gasket.

Attachments

• ign pliers.jpg
    ign pliers.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: