Need engine for Sickle Bar

Dan Gregory

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello
I'm new to the site and I have just purchased a model 34308 38" sickle bar mower without an engine (plus some related parts). I would like to find a used engine to fit. I believe that this had a 4HP engine and I would prefer to use a briggs I/C. I am a very good small engine mechanic and a machinist/fabricator by trade, so I know I could make just about any engine work as long as it has the auxiliary pto shaft on the side.

I don't mind rebuilding it if the price is right and wouldn't mind traveling a ways from S.E. Michigan to get the right engine.

Are there any large small engine salvage yards around that might have a similar unit or at least a good selection of engines?

Thanks
Dan

Sorry, I forgot to say that this unit uses a vertical shaft engine with the auxiliary shaft sticking out of the side ( horizontal ).

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do you have the model numbers of the old engine? I suggest you look for an old Briggs snowblower engine. The older ones had auxiliary PTO's used for reverse.

mowerman05

Threads
do most older snowblower engines have what you are looking for? I may have a used one here in mid michigan if the man still has it, I will check on monday to see about availability, size and price.

Dan Gregory

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mowerman and Rivets,

Thanks for the help but I just edited my post to include the fact that the engine that I'm in need of would have a vertical shaft. I my experience, the snow blowers tend to use horizontal shaft engines.

KennyV,

Thanks for the tip, I sent them an email on their "contact us" option.

Thanks again
Dan