Need electrical schematic for a Honda GXV140 engine

Greeny

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Need electrical schematic for a Honda GXV140 engine
Could some one help provide a wiring schematic for this engine or a Honda electrical diagram that is similar. There is a connector disconnected from the ignition coil and not sure if it should be grounded or not. I think it goes to a switch on one of the cables. I would rather just bypass the switch if I can. Planning on taking the engine off the lawn mower and planning on using it on a post hole digger. Can't start the engine at this point.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could some one help provide a wiring schematic for this engine or a Honda electrical diagram that is similar. There is a connector disconnected from the ignition coil and not sure if it should be grounded or not. I think it goes to a switch on one of the cables. I would rather just bypass the switch if I can. Planning on taking the engine off the lawn mower and planning on using it on a post hole digger. Can't start the engine at this point.

On most Honda engines, there is a single wire from the ignition coil that goes to a stop switch, and the other side of the switch to ground. When the blade control lever is released, this switch closes and connects the wire from the coil to ground, which grounds the coil's output and instantly stops spark, shutting down the engine. With the wire ungrounded (disconnected) you can try a spark test.

If no spark, try a new plug. If still no spark, check the ignition coil and spark plug lead for damage. Finally, there should be an air gap of no more than 0.031 inch between the coil and the flywheel.

If spark is good but still no start, it is probably a fuel-delivery issue (clogged carb, clogged air filter, inoperative choke, etc.).

You'll probably want to retain the wire and switch to have a method of shutting off the engine when you do get it fitted to the post hole digger.

Greeny

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, that sounds good. If it is a carburetor, are these carburetors pretty easy to rebuild?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks, that sounds good. If it is a carburetor, are these carburetors pretty easy to rebuild?

Not too bad. You need some good carb cleaner spray and compressed air to do a correct job. Here's a link to a Honda carb overhaul for the GCV engine, which has a similar carb:

Here's a link on how to thoroughly clean a typical Honda carburetor:
How to Clean a Honda Carburetor