Export thread

Need a Zero Turn, 1st purchase

M

MudHole

When I got my house my father gave me a spare Cub Cadet LTX 1042 thats at least 8-10 years old. Its worked well but im looking to step it up a bit and get a decent ZT. I live about 1hr east of Raleigh NC if this helps any, most brands can be found within an hour drive which is OK by me, I'll 9/10 be doing all service myself except anything that may fall under warranty work.

I mow about .75-1acre of property with a mix of tall fescue in the back and bermuda in the front equally split in size. very slight gradual incline from front to back and the front has a grassed drainage swale up by the road. Mower needs to do well with a mulching kit, I have no plans/desire to bag. I will not be buying another cub cadet after the hard start nightmares I've dealt with on this LTX since it was purchased. I'd like to stay at 3500 +/- $100 but if I'm gettting substantially more I'd be OK stretching it to 4300 MAX, not including a mulch kit if needed. Looking to stay 42-48" deck, open to smaller if for any reason it will give a better cut but not convinced I need/want bigger than 48.

My list so far, open to suggestions and opinions, feedback on how well they cut and will do mulching.

*JD Z365R - Comes with mulch kit already, largest HP engine in the 48" size deck. Hesitant from all the spindles my father has eaten through on his Z4XX JD, not fully welded fram
*Hustler Raptor X or XL in 42" - XL is at my cap, is the engine difference worth it?
*Gravely ZTX 42: - Its a kholer 7000 engine, will I have similar issues as my current CC ? Seems all other models are above my price cap.
*BigDog Alpha 42 - not fully welded frame

R

Rivets

Being a Toro guy I would take a serious look at the Toro Timecutter line. All they units are fairly decent units. Best thing I can tell you is give each one a good test drive, talk to the dealer about why his is better than the others. Get down to two, then test drive each again. In the end go with your gut about which one you like best and which dealer you like best. If still undecided go with the dealer you feel will be the most helpful in the future.

M

MudHole

Being a Toro guy I would take a serious look at the Toro Timecutter line. All they units are fairly decent units. Best thing I can tell you is give each one a good test drive, talk to the dealer about why his is better than the others. Get down to two, then test drive each again. In the end go with your gut about which one you like best and which dealer you like best. If still undecided go with the dealer you feel will be the most helpful in the future.

I'm not sure why I never looked at them. The timecutter 42" with myride (even without) looks pretty nice, I'll be adding that to the list.

Welcome Aboard-

Toro has been around for about 108 years.. I had my Timecutter 4260 for 7 years, it never had an issue,..

M

MParr

Toro Timecutter 42
Ariens Ikon HD 42
Gravely ZTX 42
Hustler Raptor XL
Big Dog Alpha 42: the specs state that the frame is fabricated. It is essentially the same mower as the Hustler Raptor XL
Compare each and get the best bang for your money. Buy from a servicing dealer with a good reputation.

M

MudHole

Did some preliminary fiddling today. Sat on a timecutter with myride, badboy, ariens and JD.

Hands down the timecutter was the most comfortable and the ariens next. The rest i didn't find comfortable in the least bit.

Going to head to some dealers (non big box stores) tomorrow and see what kind of a deal I can get. I've opened my options up to the 50" TC with kawasaki engine and 52" ariens with kawasaki motor.

M

MParr

Did some preliminary fiddling today. Sat on a timecutter with myride, badboy, ariens and JD.

Hands down the timecutter was the most comfortable and the ariens next. The rest i didn't find comfortable in the least bit.

Going to head to some dealers (non big box stores) tomorrow and see what kind of a deal I can get. I've opened my options up to the 50" TC with kawasaki engine and 52" ariens with kawasaki motor.
The Ariens is a beefier machine.

I'm thinking the 50" TC is a stamped deck ?

M

MudHole

I'm thinking the 50" TC is a stamped deck ?
Fabricated. Haven't checked the guage steel but from looks the edge may be too ariens.

M

MParr

Fabricated. Haven't checked the guage steel but from looks the edge may be too ariens.
The frame is more robust on the Ariens. I once owned a Toro Timecutter MX5000. I put the Timecutters in the same class as those whimpy JD residential zero turns sold at the big box stores.

S

slomo

I mow about .75-1acre of property
How about a couple push mowers? You know his and hers? Great way to get some good exercise. Also some much needed romantic family time :love: .

A 0-turn is a bit much for that tiny yard. A 33" Snapper RER would be perfect.

M

MudHole

How about a couple push mowers? You know his and hers? Great way to get some good exercise. Also some much needed romantic family time :love: .

A 0-turn is a bit much for that tiny yard. A 33" Snapper RER would be perfect.
It may be but when it's 95, humid as crap and the pecker gnats are crawling in my eyes I'll end up just pouring bleach over my whole yard and calling it a year.

In all seriousness I did consider it but I've had 4 open heart surgeries (all replumed like a "fish" heart now) and get beat down pretty easy doing physical labor in the heat. Everything gets planned for fall/winter/spring here and mowing is done at the tolerable crack of dawn or last light.

S

slomo

In your case, a lawn crew is in order. Time to hang it up sir. Sit back on the couch and relax.

M

MudHole

In your case, a lawn crew is in order. Time to hang it up sir. Sit back on the couch and relax.
Also hard to believe... but I'm only 35 😅. Birth condition, also because of it I have thick blood to compensate for the lower oxygen. I HAVE to get exercise and do crap to make sure I don't get clots (had one in 2019 and had a pulmonary embolism). I've been told no weight exercise but no more than I feel my body can take. So best I've found is just being active.

M

MudHole

Well to end the story, got a timecutter 50" with myride and the toro motor. From a higher end local shop for $300 less than msrp. With the zero percent financing promotion they have it came out cheapest in the end. Also no shops had an Arien in stock so it would have forced me to go to lowes. Specs looked about equal so...

She gets dropped off with much kit later this week.

M

MParr

It may be but when it's 95, humid as crap and the pecker gnats are crawling in my eyes I'll end up just pouring bleach over my whole yard and calling it a year.

In all seriousness I did consider it but I've had 4 open heart surgeries (all replumed like a "fish" heart now) and get beat down pretty easy doing physical labor in the heat. Everything gets planned for fall/winter/spring here and mowing is done at the tolerable crack of dawn or last light.
Pecker gnats! 🤣🤣🤣 You must live in the South, below the gnat line. They are awful here in SW Georgia.

R

Rivets

Timecutter is not in the same ballpark as the big box store units. It would greatly surprise me that you won’t be happy with your unit.

Mudhole-
Know that your tires will likely be over or under-inflated. When corrected per yer owners manual specs, you can check the deck for proper adjustment..
And the cutting height setting, that can be off by approx 1/2" give or take.. But easy adjustments.
Measure from Blade tips to flat ground under it..

Congrats !! .

PS: Checking the oil, is a good habit to get into prior to each mow..

R

Rivets

A good dealership will have checked each of the items you listed.

M

MudHole

I'm hoping that's done but it's good to know to check it, can't take much more than 10-15 minutes for peace of mind. Guy said they had one on the floor but would assemble one out of the crate for me. Place was pretty busy and their parts/blade/product inventory was very good and quality stuff. Got to see how they dealt with customers for about 20 minutes before I went up to work stuff out. I feel confident they will take care of me and do a good job should I ever need the service.

MParr
yes in NC towards the coast. What drives me nuts is I'm more north than my parents and they have none! I recently graduated to a "damn yankee" living here. We had may flies up north but they eventually went away, these things suck!

M

MParr

I'm hoping that's done but it's good to know to check it, can't take much more than 10-15 minutes for peace of mind. Guy said they had one on the floor but would assemble one out of the crate for me. Place was pretty busy and their parts/blade/product inventory was very good and quality stuff. Got to see how they dealt with customers for about 20 minutes before I went up to work stuff out. I feel confident they will take care of me and do a good job should I ever need the service.

MParr
yes in NC towards the coast. What drives me nuts is I'm more north than my parents and they have none! I recently graduated to a "damn yankee" living here. We had may flies up north but they eventually went away, these things suck!
Buying from a servicing dealer is always the best choice. Good luck with your new machine. I’ve owned two Toros with the Toro branded Loncin engine. I never had any problems with the engine. Safety switches gave me the most problems. It should serve you well.

Down here we have gnats,yellow flies, deer flies, horse flies, stable flies, and mosquitoes. By July 4, we should see at least one 100 degree day.

A good dealership will have checked each of the items you listed.
Mine did, but I still had to adjust the deck to cut to the height gauge on my Timecutter.. I always double check things anyhow..

M

MudHole

Not that this is a big deal but its been through several cuts already and I got the mulch kit on.

Havent seen my lawn healthier than it is now. Going to do some leveling next season to get rid of the big ditches and holes in my hard but the suspension system has been incredible. My Dad loved his quick test drive so much he asked if he could cut the lawn for me!

When I mounted the mulch kit I did the deck leveling, everything was spot on except one side was boarderline (1/8") over needing an adjustment so I made it. Was honestly so minor it was down to judgement call of the assembler in my opinion. Also threw on an hour meter after my first cut, $7 amazon meter that fit right in the pre cut box on the control panel and the existing wiring harness plugged right on. Tire pressures all checked out to the manual.

Appreciate the advice on here, definitely feel like I got a great machine.

S

slomo

The frame is more robust on the Ariens. I once owned a Toro Timecutter MX5000. I put the Timecutters in the same class as those whimpy JD residential zero turns sold at the big box stores.
When has a mower frame ever failed? Heavier decks only rut the turf more. Should be the last feature you look at. Even the el cheapo hustlers are more than fine.

Focus on greasable bearings and the like. Dual element air cleaners.... Engines should be forgotten too. Most mowers never outlast their engines.

R

Rivets

Take Dad up on his offer, never know when he can’t be of help and will make him extremely happy to know you appreciate him. As I posted earlier, I’ve yet to find a customer who’s not happy with this unit after they get used to it. Make sure you let the dealer know you are happy, they very seldom hear the good side of their sales.

M

MudHole

Take Dad up on his offer, never know when he can’t be of help and will make him extremely happy to know you appreciate him. As I posted earlier, I’ve yet to find a customer who’s not happy with this unit after they get used to it. Make sure you let the dealer know you are happy, they very seldom hear the good side of their sales.

Oh yea, he offers help I have no problem letting him go for it. Hes the type who cant sit still so he enjoys helping out and we absolutely make sure to let him know its appreciated.

I will, little dinky leaf blower I got when I moved in isnt cutting it in the fall so I'll be purchasing from them again soon anyway. I prefer giving business local when I can, especially when they've treated me well so far.

C

Chevy Chase

Following. Newbie here and had the same question. :)