Export thread

Need a weed eater

S

Shaun

Well I have absolutely got to purchase a weed eater and soon. I have been looking at both the weedeater brand and the poulen brand. I am looking to spend less than about $150 any other suggestions?

JDgreen

JDgreen

Well I have absolutely got to purchase a weed eater and soon. I have been looking at both the weedeater brand and the poulen brand. I am looking to spend less than about $150 any other suggestions?

Man, by my standards a $150 weedeater is a major purchase, I buy the $65 ones. Both brands you mention are very good quality especially when you get to that price point. I think the majority of the Craftsman brand electric and gas weedeaters are made by Poulan and Weed Eater. The most I have ever spent on a Craftsman brand gas weedeater was about $100 and that was the most powerful one they sold. Do not buy one that is so heavy it will tire you out while you lug it around, that's why I began buying the $65 models, I carry one around a lot and to me portability trumps raw power. I almost never need full throttle on my 28cc engines anyhow.

J

jteuban

Go more expensive, so that it will last a long time. You can get a Husqvarna at Lowes for like $169.00. Trust me on this one I bought a cheapo and it did not last anytime. So after that I went out and bought myself a Stihl, its the best thing I have ever bought. But as you described you do not want to put that much into it. So Take my word for it, dont buy the cheap stuff. you will regreat it.Shop Husqvarna 28cc 2-Cycle Curved-Shaft Gas String Trimmer at Lowes.com

Heres a link to the trimmer. Its a good one, check it out Cheers.

JDgreen

JDgreen

Go more expensive, so that it will last a long time. You can get a Husqvarna at Lowes for like $169.00. Trust me on this one I bought a cheapo and it did not last anytime. So after that I went out and bought myself a Stihl, its the best thing I have ever bought. But as you described you do not want to put that much into it. So Take my word for it, dont buy the cheap stuff. you will regreat it.Shop Husqvarna 28cc 2-Cycle Curved-Shaft Gas String Trimmer at Lowes.com

Heres a link to the trimmer. Its a good one, check it out Cheers.

I went to the link...ONE SEVENTY BUX for a 28cc model with a curved shaft !!!??? :eek: I paid $65 each for my last two Yard Machines trimmers with 28cc and a curved shaft. Sorry, I think that model you likenis WAY WAY overpriced. One of my MTD's is 6 years old now, the newer one is 5 but the starter engagement tab on the flywheel broke off and it wasn't worth fixing.

Ric

Ric

Shaun

You should judge your purchase of a Weed Trimmer on How and under what conditions you're going to use the Trimmer. If you buy a $69.00 trimmer don't expect a whole lot. That price could get you something that a home owner could get by with if used say once weekly when mowing and trimming a small yard.

The price you mentioned of $150 can get you in the ballpark for an Echo 16" with a 21.2cc engine that will hold 0.80 line for $179.00 from Home Depot and I believe they have a five year warranty although you'll have to take it to a dealer if ti every needs repair.
ECHO 16 in. 21.2 cc Gas Curved Shaft Trimmer - GT-225 at The Home Depot

Good Weed trimmers like the Stihl, Echo, Shindaiwa and some others start at about $259 and go up to somewhere around $400 in price depending on make and model. I have always found that spending a little more money up front pays off in the long run.

JDgreen

JDgreen

Shaun

You should judge your purchase of a Weed Trimmer on How and under what conditions you're going to use the Trimmer. If you buy a $69.00 trimmer don't expect a whole lot. That price could get you something that a home owner could get by with if used say once weekly when mowing and trimming a small yard.

The price you mentioned of $150 can get you in the ballpark for an Echo 16" with a 21.2cc engine that will hold 0.80 line for $179.00 from Home Depot and I believe they have a five year warranty although you'll have to take it to a dealer if ti every needs repair.
ECHO 16 in. 21.2 cc Gas Curved Shaft Trimmer - GT-225 at The Home Depot

Good Weed trimmers like the Stihl, Echo, Shindaiwa and some others start at about $259 and go up to somewhere around $400 in price depending on make and model. I have always found that spending a little more money up front pays off in the long run.

I should have said that my $65 Yard Mans get heavily used on a 4 1/2 acre yard with LOTS of trees and buildings to trim around, and they hold up great except for that one flywheel tab that broke off. I cannot see spending over $100 for a trimmer unless you use it everyday on a large lot with high weeds and thick grass. I for one will NEVER buy another expensive trimmer, paying $100-$120 for the Craftsmans I used to buy , was a waste of money. My Yard Mans gave me better and longer service than the costlier ones did.

T

Texas Turtle

Take a look at Echo before you buy anything.

Ric

Ric

I should have said that my $65 Yard Mans get heavily used on a 4 1/2 acre yard with LOTS of trees and buildings to trim around, and they hold up great except for that one flywheel tab that broke off. I cannot see spending over $100 for a trimmer unless you use it everyday on a large lot with high weeds and thick grass. I for one will NEVER buy another expensive trimmer, paying $100-$120 for the Craftsmans I used to buy , was a waste of money. My Yard Mans gave me better and longer service than the costlier ones did.

As I said You should judge your purchase of a Weed Trimmer or any piece of equipment on How and under what conditions you're going to be using it or the Trimmer in this case.
The two things everyone who buys equipment should consider when buying equipment is Warranty and Service, when I see a 90 day guarantee on equipment it stays on the shelf because if the manufacturer doesn't believe in there own equipment why should I or the customer.

Yes you can buy the Homelite, Ryobi, Black and Decker, Poulan and even the Weedeater brand itself all new at Home Depot for less than $100 and cheaper than that if you visit the Refurbished section, it always has a good selection and you can do the same at many department stores including Sears. :thumbsup:

I use this rule of thumb or theory when buying equipment, if a piece of equipment cost more to have it fixed than what I paid for it then it's not worth having or it's a throw away to begin with. That's when you consider that most Dealer Bench Rates run between $45 and $65 hourly plus parts to fix equipment.
I say this not to be argumentative but as I've always been told you get what you pay for.
I guess my view point on buying good equipment come from using this stuff and the knowledge that down time cost money and that good equipment saves time and money.
I still think the Echo
ECHO 16 in. 21.2 cc Gas Curved Shaft Trimmer - GT-225 at The Home Depot is the way to go if you're a home owner

4jd318

We bought a hoffco, made in usa over 25 years ago and used it commercially 12 hours a day for many years and it still starts on first pull and has great power and is light.

J

jteuban

Sorry about that JDgreen, I always go for Stihl because I have a big property. They are expensive but they last a long time.

M

mumptia

I have a stihl weed eater ($170) for my six acres up north here but my next one is a four stroke Makita or the like.

twall

twall

I have a ryobi multi-attachment trimmer I got for $75 refurb from Big lots. Then bought $150 in attachments for it. Love it. I bought the tiller, the leaf blower, and this year, I'm going to get the pole saw.

I agree with JD, though. I also have a tiny $45 28cc weedeater from walmart. That thing earns the name 'featherlite'. It's tough as nails, too. I do my trimming with that. (bought the multi for running the attachments) Unfortunately, the carb is unadjustable, and I have to run it on almost 1/8 choke, because the dammed thing is too lean. I'd buy another one without hesitation anyway. I just put a drywall screw in the air filter housing to keep it @ 1/8 choke, and I run it all day. Fuel efficient as all heck. I swear I could run it for 5 min on a shotglass of gas. I usually only go through 2 tanks A SEASON.

Last fall, my neighbor gave me a TORO mult (he couldn't get it to run - came in a box lot at an auction). It fits my attachments too!

I also have 2 running JD trimmers from the '80s, and a Mcculoch. The weedeater is still the best. That cheap $45 weedeater. God as my witness.

L

LandN

hey twall i been running the featherlite weedeaters for years,their everything you said and.. MORE the 'more' part is my wife called the company and ordered some parts (2 different times)and they shipped right away and no charge:confused2::laughing:

twall

twall

hey twall i been running the featherlite weedeaters for years,their everything you said and.. MORE the 'more' part is my wife called the company and ordered some parts (2 different times)and they shipped right away and no charge:confused2::laughing:

I've had this featherlite for about 4 years. Use it every time I mow for about 20 min (to gauge useage). Before that, I had one for 2 years and sold it for more than I paid for it. (still had adjustable mixture screw) Wish I'd kept it.........

Yes, Weedeater is the way to go. I'd say except in comm. applications, but I dunno. Those featherlites are one tough little beastie.

B

bret

Price is not always a good marker for quality. We spent nearly $500 on a trimmer, only got one season out of it, my aunt has a $80 from local hardware store and she has had it for 5 years.

M

mumptia

I have a ryobi multi-attachment trimmer I got for $75 refurb from Big lots. Then bought $150 in attachments for it. Love it. I bought the tiller, the leaf blower, and this year, I'm going to get the pole saw.

I agree with JD, though. I also have a tiny $45 28cc weedeater from walmart. That thing earns the name 'featherlite'. It's tough as nails, too. I do my trimming with that. (bought the multi for running the attachments) Unfortunately, the carb is unadjustable, and I have to run it on almost 1/8 choke, because the dammed thing is too lean. I'd buy another one without hesitation anyway. I just put a drywall screw in the air filter housing to keep it @ 1/8 choke, and I run it all day. Fuel efficient as all heck. I swear I could run it for 5 min on a shotglass of gas. I usually only go through 2 tanks A SEASON.

Last fall, my neighbor gave me a TORO mult (he couldn't get it to run - came in a box lot at an auction). It fits my attachments too!

I also have 2 running JD trimmers from the '80s, and a Mcculoch. The weedeater is still the best. That cheap $45 weedeater. God as my witness.

Need a big yard to run 4 weed wackers all season:biggrin:

M

mumptia

Price is not always a good marker for quality. We spent nearly $500 on a trimmer, only got one season out of it, my aunt has a $80 from local hardware store and she has had it for 5 years.

Mord of mouth seems to be the best way to pick the toughest. Ask around about what is reliable and what is not.

I think I'm all but done with the disposable wackers. I still think a 4 stroke is the way to go for longevity. Really that is what we all want. a wackers that will stand the test of time with little or no maintenance

Companies change their manufacturing practises sometimes which results in a lemon year or two.

I run a stihl weed wacker. Paid $150 and other than a bettle dying iin the muffler so I couldn't start it, it runs great. My 10 year old can walk around the yard for a long time before he powers out.

Other than Makita, who make a four stroke weed wacker?

M

Madi

Ryobi make a 4-stroke, we own one. I like it because it has optional attachments for doing other things with it. It is also light enough I can use it with little difficulty.

173abn

173abn

I've got a sthil fs-90,it has the handlebar and a harness.It's a 2 stroke but [i've been told] with 4 stroke technology[?] russ

G

Giles

Most of these small two cycle engines that cost more are justified in that they have Two Crankshaft Bearings--One on each side of connecting rod.
It is much simpler to manufactur with crank bearings on one end of crankshaft.
In most cases the better constructed engines vibrate less and are more troublefree, although I have seen and worked on many cheaper brands that held up pretty good.
For my use, I always go for the more balanced, separated bearing engines.
In most cases you can easily determine the more expensive by --their price, of course--and also that the pull cord will be mounted on the outside.

A

abeja_reina_1989

Ya, you can definitely get something cheaper. I wouldn't spend too much money on something like that. I mean, it's up to you but I think all you need to do is spend less than $100.

M

mumptia

I spent $160 on a stihl 7 years ago. I change the plug every year, away it goes.

I also took the string head off and put on the plastic blade attachment. Works wonders and I don't have to tap the head when low on line or re-load any line