My XT1-LT 42 KH just stopped

psu1972

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, this is my first post. My XT-1 is 5 years old. I was having trouble starting the unit as I think the battery was near the end of its life. After a few tries of clicking, the tractor would start. It ran fine until I was done. (about an hour) This same scenario happened the last 3 or four times of cutting grass. I was expecting to get a new battery this week. Today, went through the same procedure, it started and I got the grass cut. As I was heading back to the storage shed, the tractor stopped dead. Key turn got nothing. Tried several times and still nothing. Attached my jumper and still got zilch. After looking at things, I realized the battery has a fuse. Checked it out and it was blown. Luckily, I have several more. Put in a new fuse, attempted to start and got nothing. Checked fuse and it was also blown. Put in a higher rated fuse just to see what would happen. It didn't blow but got warm and discolored. Obviously a short somewhere and I have no idea where to start. Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
BE good to know what engine it had, makes things a lot easier at this end
First step is to pull the plug off the regulator and see if the problem goes away
Let us know what happens
Running with flat batteries can fry the alternator and / or the regulator

psu1972

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. I put this message out to a couple Cub Cadet forums, and most suggested checking wires for damage and possible shorts from the wires or connectors. Two posters identified the battery itself was the culprit. First hooked up my jump starter, new fuse, and placed mower to the on position. Meter gave the voltage and hour readings. A good sign. Tried to start for a brief test. Fired up. Installed a new battery and all is good.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The engine should be a Kohler single Courage engine.

I would still check the current draw of the electric PTO clutch as it might be partially shorted. I have seen these to be operatiing but drawing as much as 20 amps when they should be drawing any more than 7 amps max.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The other thing to check is the wires to the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb. The close proximity to the muffler likes to crispy critter the wires.