Export thread

My John Deere loses power.

W

Wayne James

Hi everyone. I have a John Deere X165, it is a V twin, with a Briggs and Stratton engine. Until recently it has been a beast of machine and has made short work of mowing my lawn. However in the last couple of weeks it has started to lose power. I initially knew something was wrong as it didn't sound right when I started it up, it then was very sluggish and when the blades were engaged was barely able to cut the grass. I did the usual checks before getting in touch with the local dealer, who were very helpful. I have not taken it to them as yet, preferring to have a go myself, they will charge £60 an hour or about $80. It has only done 49 hours, but is out of warranty.
I have carried out the following: Changed the fuel filter. Changed the plugs. Put new fuel in. Taken the carburetor off and found the 2 small jets had worked lose and were in the bottom of the bowl. I replaced these thinking this was the problem.
It still has the same problem though. Can anybody help please? Has anyone else had this problem? I am very disappointed to say the least. Previous to this I had a Husquarvana for 17 years without any problems!!
Thanks Wayne

I

ILENGINE

May need to get an inline spark tester, and check for spark when the engine is running.

B

bertsmobile1

Did you take it back for it's initial in warranty service ?
Have you ever checked the valve lash ?

Sounds like you have lost one cylinder.
Is there a difference in the temperature one side to the other, particularly at the exhaust pipes.