Export thread

murray lawn mower briggs stratton engine only starts and runs on str fluid or wd40

M

Mrspicy

Got a mower that looks like its been pretty abused tryed to get it running but it never stays running. its a Murry with a 5hp b&s engine throttless carb. so far triedNew gas, cleaned tank, cleaned and rebuilt carb, new air filter, new spark plug, changed oil, but will not start unless starter fluid/wd40/carb cleaner or if gas is dumped into carb but then dies, although will run consistantly with wd4o sprayed continously into carb. Any ideas?

R

Rivets

Post the engine model numbers.

timtractor

timtractor

I would say that you have a restriction in where the fuel is deliverd to the carb.

M

Mrspicy

model#225112x92A
serial#7530729431av485

I have checked there is gas going through the gas line, could there be somewhere else it could be restricted. -Thanks

C

chance123

Does the carb sit on top of the fuel tank?

M

Mrspicy

The carb is mounted slightly below the gas tank to the side. I think i forgot to mention this is a walk behind push mower with the pretty much standard engine/carb set up the b&s engines have.

C

chance123

model#225112x92A
serial#7530729431av485

These are the numbers on the engine? There are numbers under the words "Model, Type, and Code" Usually, but not always on the engine housing/shroud. Some overhead valve engines have these numbers on the valve/rocker cover

M

Mrspicy

yeah the model number was just off the mower deck. when i get a chance to tear down the mower i will look for the other numbers on the engine.

M

Mrspicy

So i found where the numbers would be on the shroud but unfortunately they are too rusted to read. Dont know if it helps but the mower was made in oct 2003.

C

cmj3169

This mower probably has a diaphragm carb. Your best bet is to buy a diaphragm kit from Lowe's part #495770.You need to remove the pickup tube and clean it out then remove the choke plate just pull it out with pliers then pull out the choke shaft. Now you can see the main jet so take the screen off the jet then take a flat head screw driver and pop the jet out and clean it.Spray the whole carb body with carb cleaner just make sure not to get the primer,if it's old you might as well replace that as well.Now reassemble it the kit comes with a new screen filter,spring and gasket and diaphragm and instructions.Hope this helps you.

D

Dana56

If the carb has a fuel line running to it I would recommend removing the float bowl nut on the bottom of the carb and running a small wire through the jet hole on the top of the bowl nut. After the hole is opened clean the jet with carb cleaner and blow out with compressed air.

C

cmj3169

Sorry did not see the part about fuel line,so this is not a pulsa-prime carburetor. Dana56 is correct ,if your mower starts then dies after squirting carb cleaner/wd40 in the carb throat then dies ,your carb needs to be cleaned.Sometimes the jet has more than one hole the obvious hole near the bottom can be cleaned out with a paper clip there sometimes is another smaller hole higher up that can be cleaned with a stripped bread tie.

M

Mrspicy

As i stated in my first post, i cleaned and rebuilt the carb using an b&s carb kit, sprayed carb cleaner through all jets till clean and used a saftey pin as well. I double checked the bolt on the bowl and it had been cleaned. The bowl was complety full of gas. I just dont know what i could be missing.

C

chance123

Do you have an O-ring between the carb and the intake manifold?

M

Mrspicy

Yes there is one and i replaced it as well as all other gaskets for the carb

D

Dana56

Are the intake pipe and mounting gasket under the shroud intact? Are you sure the "fuel" in the gas tank is gasoline?

M

Mrspicy

Are you sure the "fuel" in the gas tank is gasoline?

Oh no lawn mowers run on gas? I thought i could just fill it up with hopes and dreams. And yes the intake is intact.

C

cmj3169

that's ******* hilarious maybe hopes and dreams can fix your lawnmower!

M

Mrspicy

Yeah it looks like thats gonna be the only option. Although i really would like to figure out why it wont run. Maybe i will tear the carb down again.

C

cmj3169

That seems like the only logical reason why it'll start with a spray of gas/Carb cleaner and die.Check every hole maybe try removing the Welch plugs and clean good hell remove everything that you can. Hopefully you can fix it, I know how hard it is when you can't get something fixed just keep trying.

D

Dana56

I have seem plenty of machines that have had fuel other then gasoline in the tanks diesel kerosine. Also plenty of machines with a layer of water in the tank. So if the machine has compression, spark at the correct time and a perfectly clean fuel system it would run. Hopes and dreams I like that.

Grassbandit

Grassbandit

Try starting it with the gas cap removed. Other than that, make sure the carb screw is properly screwed in, don't overtighten! What about your governor spring? Good condition?

M

Mrspicy

Thanks for all the tips. Ended up giving up and working on other projects for a while. Few days ago took apart and cleaned the carb again also ran a safety pin through the holes on the bolt plugging the bowl, put it back together and after a few attempts got it running. Now it starts first pull.