Murray 425001X8D...Difficult starting when cold

latollman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, so I've been having this issue for a couple of years. .It's about 8 years old..So I've been having this issue for a couple of years. I thought I had it solved when I installed a new starter at the beginning of this mowing season but it is still giving me the same problem :(

So what will happen is the engine will turn over a couple of times and then stop as if the battery is dead. I can then turn the key off and back on and it may or may not turn over. I can open the engine cover and turn the top part (fan shroud?) with my hands to where is seems to be easier to turn and try again and the starter will engage and turn it just a couple of turns and stop as if the battery has died...However, the battery is completely charged and is new (cables are tight on the battery and there is no corrosion)..I can then go hook up the lawnmower to my car via jumper cables and after a few attempts (usually 3-4 minutes of it doing the same thing) it'll finally decide to turn over enough times to finally start. After it starts and runs I can then turn it off and it will then start right back up with no problem. I can turn it off and on during the rest of the time I'm outside mowing and it will start back up just fine. It seems to just do this after I've had it parked between mowing. My thoughts are since I have a new starter and battery could the solenoid be the issue? Please help!! Thanks!

Last edited:

latollman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Threads

latollman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did that work? :smile:

I've been a total slacker so I haven't done it yet...Thankfully I've still been able to get my mower to start the last 2 times I've used it but it's not easy to get it started. My goal is to get it done before I have to cut my yard again. I actually just cut it last night.