Murray 30 inch rear rider only sputters in low/mid idle

reubj

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Murray 30 inch rear rider only sputters in low/mid idle
Most replacement carbs are jetted too lean. 2 options:
1) Replace the main jet with the one from the old carb.
2) Drill out the main jet with the next size larger drill. If it still doesn't run correctly go up one more size.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As a retired instructor and tech I say, PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO DRILL OUT A JET. unless you have the proper number drills, plus knowledge on how to do properly.

mmoffitt

Threads
If you didn’t replace with an OEM carb, there is a definite possibility that the new one is jetted wrong for you engine application.
Seems like no one wants to hear the answer/s pose a question and disregard feedback totally

Etbrown44

Threads
Disassemble the old carb. Clean every opening with spray carb cleaner. It should work

reubj

Forum Newbie
Threads
As a retired instructor and tech I say, PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO DRILL OUT A JET. unless you have the proper number drills, plus knowledge on how to do properly.
Obviously.....

Freddie21

Threads
If you bought a cheap aftermarket carb, I would suggest disassembling the original and cleaning it well. Cheap carbs do not run well.

rhkraft

Threads
I agree with dirt in the gas tank that got sucked into the carb. If there is dirt in the tank you need to clean it, then take off the carb and clean the jets with spray carb cleaner. Wear goggles, when you spray into a jet hole it can come out aimed at your face. Carb cleaner in the eyes is not good.