Muffler won't come off! 60102 0391

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What size pipe wrench are you using? You need more leverage, try a 24" pipe wrench or larger, maybe you have a neighbor who is a plumber, mechanic, etc. or you may try renting one from tool rental or auto parts store. Remember SAFETY FIRST, when it breaks loose try to keep your footing & not fall. Be sure to put antiseize compound on threads of new muffler and just snug it up, do not over tighten.

I am guessing that you are using a lock jaw or slip jaw type of pipe wrench.
A pair of Stilsons will not slip on a round surface.
The harder you push the tighter they grip.
Usually if the item will not move, you end up bending the handle, but the jaws do not let go.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am guessing that you are using a lock jaw or slip jaw type of pipe wrench.
A pair of Stilsons will not slip on a round surface.
The harder you push the tighter they grip.
Usually if the item will not move, you end up bending the handle, but the jaws do not let go.

If it was me I would just use a good old fashion pipe wrench, but each his own on that. I don't understand why your pipe wrench doesn't grip the pipe? Are the jaws bad? The tighter you pull the tighter the grip.

silver1

Threads
Since I am not familiar with the exhaust pipe retention...Is this the same as old Brit motorcycles where a threaded locknut end presses on a formed flange of the exhaust pipe and holds it to the head?? If so with the lock ring gone there is a smooth pipe remnant inside a threaded lockring shell still holding the pipe to the head? So corroded threads are still the main problem?

If this blather is somewhat correct ... Turn machine so exhaust is up. Apply drops of (your favorite) liquid wrench to thread area and let it sit . Now I think of an "inside pipe wrench" which I believe Harbor Freight sells. They are toothed, expanding metal rings made to bite in a counter clockwise direction. But IF one fits you may find it might loosen the pipe so it spins inside the threaded locknut shell, but won't come out. Then perhaps force something down between the loosened pipe and the threaded stub and pry it into a smaller dia so it can be removed. Then work on the threaded shell with the inside pipe removal wrench.

All armchair theory and can be ignored at any time.:laughing:

Edit: HF does not show the wrenchs, but General Tool and Rigid have them out to 2.0" One youtube dude used an impact wrench on the tool.

Thanks for the idea. We do have HF.

silver1

Threads
What size pipe wrench are you using? You need more leverage, try a 24" pipe wrench or larger, maybe you have a neighbor who is a plumber, mechanic, etc. or you may try renting one from tool rental or auto parts store. Remember SAFETY FIRST, when it breaks loose try to keep your footing & not fall. Be sure to put antiseize compound on threads of new muffler and just snug it up, do not over tighten.

That is the problem with this old muffler It is screwed in to the hilt. The locking ring moved like should. I never put them that far in! That is what the lock is for.
I did get the motor to start. Not that loud.

RoperGuy

Threads
If you really can't get her out do you have the clearance to just weld on a new flange?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sound to me like you should bring it to a repair shop.