Export thread

MTD Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

M

Muhammad

GREETINGS to all MTD mower owners! :thumbsup:

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name :laughing:). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other MTD owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for MTD mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool MTD stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

J

jdj309

Great idea! It will save time searching.I own a White ZT50 A MTD product.
Thanks,jdj309

reddragon

reddragon

well..im not new ... but here she is!....."Little Red"......2006 ..15.5 hp briggs....42" deck...vari drive tranny...bought her for a $100 and a starting problem...now she has new oil and grease and starts right up

Attachments

N

nodlenor

I have a MTD Yard Man 18hp 46in deck. I bought this mower new in '94 and it has done a lot of mowing. The Briggs engine uses oil but still runs the best. When I bought it I put a set of 10.50x23x12 tractor tread tires on it which proved to be a good idea because it doesn't spin as easily as the turf tires. The plastic hood has since gone by the wayside because the bolt holes have cracked and broken but that doesn't bother the way it runs or mows. I have done other minor repairs, of course, but nothing major or very costly. I have another mower now (just purchased it 3 weeks ago) that I use for most of my mowing but the Yard Man is still used for mowing my banks and wet areas. This has been one tough mower and if my new one (which isn't a Yard Man) lasts as long I'll be happy.

reddragon

reddragon

i have a yellow 1993 yard man as well...it has a good hood and sides but the grill and light lenses are broken out...it has the 18hp twin with hydro....i just got an electrical problem solved yester day and its running good..i think i posted it here somewhere:confused2:

P

possum

Well, I have a MTD riding lawntractor. Troybilt, new this year, Bronco. Have a Yardman pushmower but it is 10 years old and is just for possible parts.

J

jamesslcx

Hello everyone and thanks Muhammad this is a great forum! I have a Mtd lawn tractor with a 46 inch deck and a 21 horse v twin Briggs and a lot to learn about mowers so I think I have come to the right place!

reddragon

reddragon

welcome to the mower zoo! :biggrin:

S

sss

hi i have 2003 mtd-yardman 14.5hp 30" cut 2wd not new but running like it

reddragon

reddragon

i guess i should put up all my MTD's......the green one is a 2000 yard machines with a 17hp tecumseh and 7sp varidrive......the yellow is a 1993 yard man...with 18hp briggs twin and hydro automatic.....the red one is a 2005 troy-bilt with 18.5 hp briggs single and varidrive auto :smile:

Attachments

Carscw

Carscw

I have a 98 garden tractor 46 inch cut 20 hp Briggs no hood Hi low trans will climb and hang any hill you are brave enough to try. Just wish it had a better steering set up on my 4th steering shaft. It's like a ride on bush hog

reddragon

reddragon

i know a guy thats got an 18hp....green one...46" deck...they're great.....a real tractor...can you take pictures?

Carscw

Carscw

I will put some up as I get it back together doing a complete rebuild and paint. Was going to restore a old car but got to thinking would be fun to do this

RickS

RickS

Hi my name is Rick, and I have this Yard Machine By MTD, I am not sure of the year, and the engine is surging, but The guy that wants to sell it only wants $100.00. I think that I may take him up on it

Attachments

Carscw

Carscw

I would get it. I don't like the deck on this one but it is well worth a $100.
The engine surge should just need a carb cleaning I would just rebuild it.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

reddragon

reddragon

its a steal if it runs!.....but the difference between the 46" deck and the standard 42" deck is the deck/blade engage lever is really heavy on the 46" for some reason.....also the blade/deck drop "all in one" lever often results in a chatter on some of them when engaging....even with a kevlar belt.......but i doesnt hurt anything really:thumbsup:

RickS

RickS

Well, I gave him the $100, I rebuilt the Carb, and it is running fine, I put brand new blades on it and since it has been so hot here in Michigan, the grass has not grown, so I cannot test how the mower works.

Is there and adjustment to the position of the Engage lever so that I don't have to pull it back while starting the engine?

reddragon

reddragon

its a safety switch....the seat and reverse switches you can just pull the wires off to improve things......but the blade/deck switch is more complicated.....usually it has both closed and open circuit switching.....you'll need a multimeter to figure which ones to hook togeter and the ones to leave disconnected.....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Carscw

Carscw

RickS said:
Well, I gave him the $100, I rebuilt the Carb, and it is running fine, I put brand new blades on it and since it has been so hot here in Michigan, the grass has not grown, so I cannot test how the mower works.

Is there and adjustment to the position of the Engage lever so that I don't havve to pull it back while starting the engine?

You can adjust the switch so it is closer to the lever. Or maybe there is a spring not on

RickS

RickS

I don't have the original bulbs, that belong in the head lamps, can anyone tell me if they are a common automotive bulb or not, and what bulb is it?

reddragon

reddragon

you can get them anywhere...walmart ....auto store....what ever....they have 2 posts directly opposite each other instead of staggered.......SYLVANIA 1141's are what i always get..........also the reflective backing and lens are very easy to get as that body stlyle is one of the most common MTD's ever made

dongraham

dongraham

Thanks.

I owe a 2002? Huskee 21 hp 46" rider. Most of the maintenance I do myself...I love a good challenge.

Mad-Mike

Mad-Mike

mad-mike-albums-1987-mtd-127-362-013-picture6900-finished-my-friends-yard-summer-12.jpg

87' MTD 127-362-013 22" Self Propelled Rear Bagger - I bought this thing for $60 used six years ago to mow the little postage stamp my ex-room mate had. After that It lived as a "pet" on my apartment patio till it joined my gigging music gear in the storage unit for awhile. Then I took it out last summer, rebuilt some of it, and used it till the rear axle broke this summer taking care of a friend's yard.

Right now I'm building a new rear-axle, I hunted, called, and sought a new 13414 rear axle assembly for a long time. I'll create a thread on that in the DIY section when I'm done. It's turned up in a few of my Youtubes for small engine/mower people to check out....hopefully not alienating my usual geek/guitarist audience.

RickS

RickS

Are the spindles on this 46" deck serviceable?

reddragon

reddragon

YOU CAN REPLACE THE BEARINGS....BUT I DONT THINK YOU CAN GREASE PACK THEM...is that what you meant?

RickS

RickS

I was wondering how much trouble it would be to repair one, but it seems that the Main pulley, that the deck belt and the drive belt goes around, has a problem with the bottom bearing, It is making quite a racket, but the spindles seem to be fine.

Are all three spindles the same on this deck? I was looking at the MTD parts finder and it only gives one part number for all three, but I was reading some place else that one of them is different.

Thanks for the responses.

Carscw

Carscw

All are the same bearings and housing.
The one your talking about that both belts run on the double pulley has a longer shaft.

Carscw

Carscw

reddragon said:
YOU CAN REPLACE THE BEARINGS....BUT I DONT THINK YOU CAN GREASE PACK THEM...is that what you meant?

Why you yelling at him? LOL

RickS

RickS

That's OK Carscw, I can take it. LOL

I have been working on this thing and I had to order 2 new light sockets and I also had ordered a new lense for the front of it, They sent me a whole new grill, because the lense is no longer available.

I think that the contrast makes it look great.

Attachments

scott47429

scott47429

well im not new here but i do have a MTD rider and a MTD chipper here they are and they are for sale

Attachments

reddragon

reddragon

yes i left the caps on.....somebody took netiquette classes:laughing:

midnite rider

midnite rider

That's OK Carscw, I can take it. LOL

I have been working on this thing and I had to order 2 new light sockets and I also had ordered a new lense for the front of it, They sent me a whole new grill, because the lense is no longer available.

I think that the contrast makes it look great.

Hey RickS, It does look great with the new black griill. They are still selling models at Lowes with your style of grill and lens. Some call it the cyclops lens. The difference is in the mounts on the plastic lens to the grill. The old type lens have round plastic pins which seem to be more fragile than the newer type of lens which have flat plastic tabs as I recall. They may have sent you the new type so they had to send the grill to match the tabs. :smile:

reddragon

reddragon

i looked around and thats what they're doing now....you have to buy the whole kit and kaboodle...instead of just the lens....

RickS

RickS

Does anyone know approximatley how much my Lawn tractor weighs?

I have not got the means to get it weighed. I am trying to get some ramps to load it into the bed of a pickup.

midnite rider

midnite rider

Does anyone know approximatley how much my Lawn tractor weighs?

I have not got the means to get it weighed. I am trying to get some ramps to load it into the bed of a pickup.

With the 20Hp twin engine I would say around 630 LBS. U.S.

RickS

RickS

Thanks a lot, then I can get the 1000 lb ramps and they would work fine.

midnite rider

midnite rider

Thanks a lot, then I can get the 1000 lb ramps and they would work fine.

Yes as long as you do not weigh over 300 LBS. :eek: You would have to add your weight also if you drive it on instead of pulling it on by some means as a come along or winch.

RickS

RickS

:laughing:Nope not at all near that weight milestone :laughing: But I am sure that the 1000 lb steel ramps from Harbor Frieght will do the job.

midnite rider

midnite rider

:laughing:Nope not at all near that weight milestone :laughing: But I am sure that the 1000 lb steel ramps from Harbor Frieght will do the job.

Yes, i would think they would be more than adequate. From a safety standpoint I would make sure that they were secured well to whatever you were loading onto so they did not slip and cause a fall.

G

Guybarger

I'm new I got a 2007 poulan 15.5 b&s and I got for free last weekend a 1996 yard machine 14.5 b&s but my yard machine just quit running and I'm not sure what it is my spark plug is good and it barely turns over for not even a second then stops

G

Guybarger

These are y mowers

Attachments

RickS

RickS

I hope someone can help me figure this out.

My 20 HP is draining the battery, I have put a new battery in the machine, After mowing for a while I shut the motor down and the battery is drained, I hook my Charger up to it and it charges for a few minutes then I can start the engine again.

Does this thing have a charging system in it?

The Model # is 13AI673H352
Serial Number is 1C030I30239

Engine Model 3 is 461707
Type# 0143E1
Code# 0001105A

Any help will be appreciated.

reddragon

reddragon

yes ...they have a charging system..[an alternator] ...often batteries are not charged when you buy them and require 24 hr charging....on the small ones like these, you only charge at 1-2 amps.....i would give it a good charge and get it load tested properly [ any auto parts place or battery place will do it for free ]....then you wont have to worry about that end of it...we can go from there.....also ...i wouldnt use the headlights unless necessary

Chevy

Chevy

Hi, just bought a mtd tractor, 15.5 hk, bs engine, have 12 wheel back and 10 front, red.. Thats all I know, bought it unseen, havent even heard the engine, he says it runs good, just had a service but the belt for running is to slack, wasent orginal. I dont know what model it is or year..lol.. Payd about 150-200 dollar?? (1000,- nok) it has new tyres and new batt.
I will post pic of it when i get it, and some more when im done fixing it. Oh, it also need new cutting blade.

Bjørn Marken
hagehjelperen@gmail.com
www.hagehjelperen.net

RickS

RickS

I Have the headlights unplugged, I would like to put a switch on them but do not know whereI can splice one in. It would be nice if I had the wiring diagram for this thing.

reddragon

reddragon

do you have the model/serial number?...its usually under the seat....with that you can get a diagram fairly easy

RickS

RickS

do you have the model/serial number?...its usually under the seat....with that you can get a diagram fairly easy

I posted it a couple of post back but here it is again:

The Model # is 13AI673H352
Serial Number is 1C030I30239

Engine Model 3 is 461707
Type# 0143E1
Code# 0001105A

I have done a search for the diagram and I have not found it at all. Thanks for your help.

reddragon

reddragon

just type your model and "wiring" and things pop up....heres one...OEM Parts :wink: and http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/Public.do

RickS

RickS

Thanks Reddragon, I have charged the battery over night and took it to have it load tested and the bsttery tests great. The thing is still draining the battery. Is there a voltage regulator or something located somewhere on the tractor? How should I check to see if the alternator is charging?

RickS

RickS

I have looked at the Wiring diagrram of this tractor and it doesn't seem to have a volatage regulator anyplace on it so I am guessing that since the lights get brighter when the RPM's are increasted that there may be a diode problem in the alternator, are these replaceable or do I need to replace the whole alternator?

Carscw

Carscw

Have you took the cables off the battery and let it sit a couple days then see if it will crank the engine?

Carscw

Carscw

The lights getting brighter with more RPMs says it is charging

R

Rivets

RicS, here is a manual which should help you with your electrical problem. Check section 7.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12502267/B&S Service Manuals/05_273521TwinCylinderOHV.pdf

RickS

RickS

Carscw: I have purchaced a Brand new battery, charged it fully, had it load tested, it starts the motor, however if I stop and shut the motor off, the battery will not start the thing again.

Thank you Rivets, I have done the research on the motor and it had the dual circuit alternator in it, I will do the tests and see what happens, first thing that I will have to check is the fuse in the charging line.

D

dj.esseltine

Daniel
1999 MTD YardMachine 42" Deck

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Daniel
1999 MTD YardMachine 42" Deck

:welcome: Welcome to LawnWorld....nice mower!! :smile:

D

dad7432

I have an 2001 MTD Yardman Yardbug with the B&S 9 HP engine. I bought mine for $200 this winter. It was very clean inside and out. Looked brand new. Even the plastic seat was perfect. The previous owner had an engine oil leak fixed. But I had to adjust and tighten up the steering, lube all pivot points, adjust the cables and sharpen the blade. At the end of this year I am sure the belts will need replacing.

The previous owner always used the under seat bagger, so I had to spend another $50.00 to buy the side chute and mulch plug off e-bay.

My yard is about half an acre. I bought a used rider instead of self propelled mainly because riding is more fun!

Very maneuverable design - gets around objects well. Tight turning radius.
Flexible design - Under seat bagger means no bulky side/rear bag attachment (this adds to the maneuverability factor).
When bagging, this mower can go right up to objects on both sides.
Powerful enough to go straight up the steep slope part of the lawn.
Flexible bagger also has side discharge and mulching attachments.
Fast enough for a moderate size lawn.
Funny looks from neighbors

Dislikes:
Side discharge may clog in damp long grass (duh).
Weak brake :eek:
Harder to get to cables and maintenance parts because of enclosed design.
Funny looks from neighbors!

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I have an 2001 MTD Yardman Yardbug with the B&S 9 HP engine. I bought mine for $200 this winter. It was very clean inside and out. Looked brand new. Even the plastic seat was perfect. The previous owner had an engine oil leak fixed. But I had to adjust and tighten up the steering, lube all pivot points, adjust the cables and sharpen the blade. At the end of this year I am sure the belts will need replacing.

The previous owner always used the under seat bagger, so I had to spend another $50.00 to buy the side chute and mulch plug off e-bay.

My yard is about half an acre. I bought a used rider instead of self propelled mainly because riding is more fun!

Very maneuverable design - gets around objects well. Tight turning radius.
Flexible design - Under seat bagger means no bulky side/rear bag attachment (this adds to the maneuverability factor).
When bagging, this mower can go right up to objects on both sides.
Powerful enough to go straight up the steep slope part of the lawn.
Flexible bagger also has side discharge and mulching attachments.
Fast enough for a moderate size lawn.
Funny looks from neighbors

Dislikes:
Side discharge may clog in damp long grass (duh).
Weak brake :eek:
Harder to get to cables and maintenance parts because of enclosed design.
Funny looks from neighbors!

:welcome: Welcome to LawnWorld! I'm glad you are pretty satisfied with your mower! :thumbsup:

W

wheelie

hello.. I have just got a hold of a ACE/MTD 14.5 hp riding mower.. It so far works great except first and second gear so I will be searching here for possible answers.

mokeybozo

mokeybozo

I have a 2009 yardman 12.5 hp. 1st mower I ever bought new, and don't want to get rid of it just yet. Thanks for this Forum, looks like just what I need.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I have a 2009 yardman 12.5 hp. 1st mower I ever bought new, and don't want to get rid of it just yet. Thanks for this Forum, looks like just what I need.

:welcome: Welcome to LawnWorld!

D

DonCT

Hi all:

2007 MTD-Yard Man 21-inch pusher (Honda GCV160)

Did oil changes and air filter changes every year until this year.

My spring tune-up was -
Stens OE replacement blade
E3.22 spark plug
G-Oil 10w-30 "4 Cycle" oil

Thinking about picking up a Gator blade for the fall leaf mulching.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Hi all:

2007 MTD-Yard Man 21-inch pusher
Stens OE replacement blade
E3.22 spark plug
G-Oil 10w-30 "4 Cycle" oil

Thinking about picking up a Gator blade for the fall leaf mulching.

:welcome: Welcome to LawnWorld! A Gator Blade is a good thing to get...for the spring and summer, too, not just fall! :thumbsup:

V

vboss

Ehh I've been messing around with mowers for yrs, mostly free ones that I get from the trash or given to me. I nearly had the middle finger on my left hand taken off, I now have great respect for spinning blades. :laughing:

My reason for posting is I'm looking for a mower that I had in 1996, prob new around 1990 I think it was an MTD, all I remember was it was rear wheel drive with a drive unit that was constantly engaged, it had a tensioner pulley with a lever that you pulled to make the belt tighter and hence slip less. What I liked so much was the smoothness and ability to make it go an infinite number of speeds by the pressure you pulled on the lever. I had two of them and let them go when I moved, now I'm looking for something similar new. I seriously HATE those clunk-in drive systems, I would like to find one those old mowers and recondition it, it was truly a well engineered mower. The drive unit looked like it had iron gears instead of the steel ones that wear out. A slight pull on the lever could inch it around a tree or a harder pull to go full speed.

G

gts1250

Greetings All,,, name is Gary. living in Albany, NY.. I bought an older MTD 136m667f118 with hopes of fixing tit up for the son. The son just moved to Cortland and now has to mow 2 acres. I replaced all the belts, cleaned the carb and adjusted the valves,,, Starts first time every time. I also repainted it, being the type that can not leave anything alone. I am new to forums.so some of the terminology is foreign,,, (trackback and posting avatars). So I'm just here saying HI!!

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Greetings All,,, name is Gary. living in Albany, NY.. I bought an older MTD 136m667f118 with hopes of fixing tit up for the son. The son just moved to Cortland and now has to mow 2 acres. I replaced all the belts, cleaned the carb and adjusted the valves,,, Starts first time every time. I also repainted it, being the type that can not leave anything alone. I am new to forums.so some of the terminology is foreign,,, (trackback and posting avatars). So I'm just here saying HI!!

:welcome: Welcome! An avatar is like a profile picture. It appears right by your username. :smile:

G

gts1250

:welcome: Welcome! An avatar is like a profile picture. It appears right by your username. :smile:

Thankz for the welcome,, It seem a lot of members do not use the avatars,, are they difficult to include??.. Not sure what "Trackback:" means also, sorry

Not sure if this belongs here but,, I have an issue with the transaxle not shifting smoothly between forward , neutral and reverse on an older MTD 136m667f118 14.5/38 rider,, I took apart the transaxle last nite and everything looks tight, no bearing play and packed with grease. My questions are: is there such a thing as too much grease, and it seems STICTION is playing a part on the shifter fork pulling the clutch collar off of the forward and reverse beveled gears. The grease is creating a suction and making it difficult for the sliding transfer to release.. Is there a method any of the members use to allow the clutch collar trasition smoothly between the two beveled gears?? Or should I clean and repack with some speacial non sticky but lubracating grease????

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

It seem a lot of members do not use the avatars,, are they difficult to include??

No, they are very easy. You can add one here: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/profile.php?do=editavatar :smile:

G

gts1250

No, they are very easy. You can add one here: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/profile.php?do=editavatar :smile:

Where should the second part of my question be placed???. New thread or will you place it in the best area, and how will I know if there are any responces??

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Where should the second part of my question be placed???. New thread or will you place it in the best area, and how will I know if there are any responces??

You could create a thread in the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum stating the problem. You will know when you get responses because it will show an unread subscribed thread in the Control Panel above, and you should also get an alert to your email. But the best way would probably to just check up on the thread once and awhile.

G

gts1250

You could create a thread in the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum stating the problem. You will know when you get responses because it will show an unread subscribed thread in the Control Panel above, and you should also get an alert to your email. But the best way would probably to just check up on the thread once and awhile.

thankz again,, just copied and pasted in new thread. this is fun

D

DamShavers

Hi my name is Dave and I am checking in as a new member. I have an MTD Yard-Man although I'm not sure what the serial number is. I have a part that broke on my mower that I am looking for, however, I will create another thread so I don't junk this one up. Thanks!

-Dave

N

nascar_red

Richard in Texas - Mower 2000 YardMan 46 in. deck 20 horse Kohler Command. 23x9.50x 12 rear tires. Hydrostatic. Has been a great mower - best 100 dollars I ever spent. I have owned it since it was almost new, only had about 4 or 5 hrs. on it.

O

Oaktree

Greetings from northern N.H. Got 2 mowers, a White FST-16 I picked up used a couple months ago, and a "Frankenstein" push mower...housing from a mower I found on the side of the road with a "free" sign on it, motor died a couple years ago, replaced with one from a mower I scavenged from the dump.

Love the 4 wheel steering on the White, though it did take a little getting used to. I do have a brake issue with it, I'll ask that in a separate post.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Greetings from northern N.H. Got 2 mowers, a White FST-16 I picked up used a couple months ago, and a "Frankenstein" push mower...housing from a mower I found on the side of the road with a "free" sign on it, motor died a couple years ago, replaced with one from a mower I scavenged from the dump.

Love the 4 wheel steering on the White, though it did take a little getting used to. I do have a brake issue with it, I'll ask that in a separate post.

Cool! Welcome to LW! :smile:

C

cmv74

Hi there.

My name is Chris and I have an older MTD Yardman with a B&S motor. Not sure any details yet, got it for free and it smokes. I plan on taking it apart this afternoon to look at the piston and valves. I'll start a new thread with the pics and hopefully get some help. I consider myself to be very mechanically inclined, but this will be my first attempt at repairing a lawn mower engine. Looking forward to being part of the community.

P

pfrancz

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name :laughing:). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other MTD owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for MTD mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool MTD stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

Writing in:

Hello to all members and Thank You for this forum, and your help, we appreciate it.
We are near the great lakes in the fingerlakes region of NY and have a 1985 MTD-DYNAMARK-NOMA OVHXL 12 hp lawn mower.

We have used it for many years with only some minor repairs.
The deck supports failed front cable and rear bracket and been reattached.
The valves were set to .004-006 (?) manual says .004" to give compression relief and not burn the valves.
The motor is running and the trans and drivetrain is working.
There is a slight oil drip leak at the engine front valve gallery.
We are happy with this unit and we are glad it is stil working for us.

We purchased it at central tractor in 1985.:smile::smile:

M

Mftl

Hi
My Name is Matt and I Have a MTD Classic (It痴 the MTD 50 year anniversary one) I use the mower in my lawn business (Matts Lawns)
Thanks Matt

Attachments

Carscw

Carscw

Hi My Name is Matt and I Have a MTD Classic (It痴 the MTD 50 year anniversary one) I use the mower in my lawn business (Matts Lawns) Thanks Matt

Nice mower.

M

Mowerman91

My name is corey and I just got my first mower, its a 1991 MTD 12/38 42"deck 7speed. She is a restoration project at the moment and is nameless :(. once I start the resto I imagine I will come up with a name for her.

John Mayberry

John Mayberry

Hi,
My name is Susy and I'm the mower in our household.
Hubby John doesn't do the internet so any questions I have will come through me from him.

Anyways we have a MTD Yard Machine purchased in 2004 from Home Depot
It's Black
42" cut
Model #682

I don't have a name for it, but, within the last couple weeks, what I have called it is not appropriate to post here.
LOL
Had some belt problems but everything is working now.

10 years ago I was able to service it myself but due to heart problems I just sit on it and mow and let someone else change the belts, oil, etc. HeHe

R

rick-barber

Good day all. My name is Rick and I am 67 YO. I got this yard machine from my son who purchased it used. The seat was blown off on a freeway and a semi promptly ran over it. I had to contact MTD to even find an owners manual for it. I now know it is a 98 or 99 model and have pars lists and owners manuals. I did build a seat platform for the boat seat he put on it.

It is nice to find a place where I can ask questions.

fuzzman

fuzzman

Hello everyone im new here but lookin for insights! I have a 206 yard machines 38" cut. when I bought it in 2007 I only paid 200$ for it from a friend!! I love it except for the blade engage issue LOL!!!

M

mje426

It's my steps sons mower, it's a rent to buy from Arron's. It's a 40" MTD Yard Machine it's an 2013 or 14. It was lightly used when he got it.

C

Curk

Hi, I'm Curk and needing help w/ my Yard Machine, 13 hp., 38" Mod#13BH660-F 000

Replaced gasket on float bowl, started fine, but chokes off after 1-2 mins. or when blade is engaged. Will re-start, but only run for a short while then shuts off.
Any suggestions as to what may cause this? Thanks

S

Stones

Hello, just joined the forum after purchasing a used 1998 MTD YardMan Yard Bug. Bought it after seeing it and hearing the engine run. Sounded great so I bought it after I was told it was recently used. Got it home last night and now the fun begins. Starts up like clock work but won't stay in gear. I'll be posting my experience as I work to bring it back to life.

Stones

Carscw

Carscw

Hello, just joined the forum after purchasing a used 1998 MTD YardMan Yard Bug. Bought it after seeing it and hearing the engine run. Sounded great so I bought it after I was told it was recently used. Got it home last night and now the fun begins. Starts up like clock work but won't stay in gear. I'll be posting my experience as I work to bring it back to life. Stones

I have the same year yard bug. I took the deck off and let the grand kids ride it.

Not staying in gear could be a cable adjustment or the foreword reverse lever is loose

S

Stones

I have the same year yard bug. I took the deck off and let the grand kids ride it.

Not staying in gear could be a cable adjustment or the foreword reverse lever is loose

Carscw, I was actually surprised at the pep it had for an 8.5 hp BS engine. With the deck off I bet grand kids have a blast.

M

marcpilot1

HI. Marc C in S.C. I have an old push mower. Series 500 MTD Yard Machines. Has a tiny Briggs Stratton engine.
Nice to be here!

V

volbob

Hello everyone and thanks Muhammad this is a great forum! I have a Mtd lawn tractor with a 46 inch deck and a 21 horse v twin Briggs and a lot to learn about mowers so I think I have come to the right place!

welcome from Volbob,you have come to right place.

S

Sandro

I am afraid I introduced myself and my riding mower starting a new thread instead of answering this one I had not noticed. Sorry.
Anyway, having read a few threads, I'm sure I will find here all the help I could need using and servicing and, why not, modifying my "Trattorino" ("Little Tractor") as I call it.
Thank you and all forumites.
From my side I shall post some attachments I made and plan to make in future, in case they can be of any use to others with same needs as I have.
Let's go mowing: in this time of year growing grass does not wait for us!

Regards to all

Sandro

B

Bradagan1

:tractor::tractor::tractor:Hi, haven't been here in a long while. Glad your still here, retired now and trying to fix a few mowers for family and friends. Like tinkering with small engines or anything with small engine, mowers, trimmers, chain saws etc.

M

Mightynic

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm writing from North Wales in the UK. I love nothing more than hopping on my ancient MTD Pinto (7hp Briggs & Stratton) for a couple of hours on the weekend. Trouble is I spend an equal amount of time kneeling next to it trying to poke it back into life, hence my joining the forum. I've attached a stock photo of the Pinto, I'll update with some of my many photos when I'm next home.

Attachments

T

Tractorkid1250

MTD Powr kraft

Here she is, my 1994 MTD Powr kraft. She's got an 18 horse Briggs Opposed twin. We call her "Boo-Boo", because my brother calls his Cub IH 1250 "Yogi". She has some issues, but they can be sorted out. She runs good, and doesn't stall, surges only rarely. We did have a problem with the fuel getting through the pump into the cylinders, but that's been sorted out. Changed the oil, installed a fuel valve, and that's only about it.

Powr kraft notes.jpgTractor Front.jpgTractor Left.jpgTractor Right.jpgTractor Rear.jpg

Barebuttminer

Barebuttminer

Thank You for the welcome Muhammad.
I’ll upload some pics at a latter date, after I learn how to get around on the forum.

I own 4 mowers and do my own maintenance and repair work on them.
Craftsman 21" push mower model# 917.388750
Scotts 21" push mower Model # 21595X8B
MTD 12/38 Riding Mower Model # 134H450F129
MTD 15.5/42 Riding Mower model# 13A0672G129

Currently replacing the spindle bearings on the 12/38, this is the 3rd or 4th time that I’ve had to rebuild these spindles, as well as giving it its annual lube and adjust maintenance. I also have to do some welding on the plastic grill; I’ll post pics on another post on this process.

The newly acquired 15.5/42 is going to need a lot of work to get it back into shape. Have to ether it to get it started, runs but spits back through the intake and surges. Deck lifting mechanism appears to be missing some parts and all the pivot points have been wallowed out. The rear axel makes a lot of noise in forward and reverses and will not go to neutral. And of course it has flat tires. The previous owner has beaten the hell out of this machine.

Again thank you for allowing me to join the forum.
BBM

T

Tractorkid1250

Powr kraft "Boo-boo"

My tractor is nice, I love to drive it, I've only driven a few hours over about 8 months, and I've spent probably twice the amount of time fixing it then riding it. I always feel like when I'm not lazy and work on it, I spend most of my time looking for the right size wrench or socket, or trying to figure out how to get something off. But, such is the life of a tractor owner. I'll keep all of you updated on it as I go along.

Powr kraft notes.jpg

D

DanTech

Hi I'm Dan.

Bought a house with a couple acres and it came with a 2003 (MTD) YardWorks riding mower. YardWorks is a Canadian brand of MTD. Its got a 42in deck 7 speed Shift on The Go trans, and a 17hp Briggs and Stratton Intek. It starts and runs fine, but its slower than a turtle hauling a cinder block. MTD hasn't been any help because the model seems to be exclusive to Canada. I contacted MTD Canada who were kind enough to give me some part numbers for belts. Took those part numbers to the local dealer, and they weren't even close. The Canadian model number is 13DD678G515. I should probably post this in another thread, rather than an intro. Sorry about that.

B

bertsmobile1

Hi I'm Dan.

Bought a house with a couple acres and it came with a 2003 (MTD) YardWorks riding mower. YardWorks is a Canadian brand of MTD. Its got a 42in deck 7 speed Shift on The Go trans, and a 17hp Briggs and Stratton Intek. It starts and runs fine, but its slower than a turtle hauling a cinder block. MTD hasn't been any help because the model seems to be exclusive to Canada. I contacted MTD Canada who were kind enough to give me some part numbers for belts. Took those part numbers to the local dealer, and they weren't even close. The Canadian model number is 13DD678G515. I should probably post this in another thread, rather than an intro. Sorry about that.

Yes,
Please start a new thread with a title like Yardworks model 13DD678G515 drive problem.
While the mower model is exclusive to Canada, it will be the basically same as most USA or Export models

D

DAMatson

Just getting around to introducing myself: my name is David Matson. I joined back in September of last year 2017, and already have 40 posts, so I think I'm off to a great start.

My current obsession is getting a newly acquired 2001 Yard Machine back into working condition.

Tecumseh 15.5 Engine (although Stickers advertise 15HP)
42" Mowing Deck
Shift-on-the-go 7-speed.

Just recently added an external dual bagging attachment, and have already removed the mower deck, cleaned and lubricated, replaced the v belt and re-attached the mower deck. Deck and everything else works fine once I get it started.

Now just need to fix a presumed problem with the carburetor: originally couldn't start without being primed with gas, but would at least run fine after that. After carburetor cleaning it still won't start but now won't continue to run either, so I'm buying a replacement carburetor and will replace that whole assembly soon.

I truly love and appreciate the wealth of knowledge that our fellow members possess and share on a regular basis!

B

Biggqwesty

Signing in

Afternoon crew.
Recently acquired a 42" ?? MTD had machine with a house purchase.
Battery was flat as but after charging it up and checking the vitals, 5th turn it rumbled into life.
Drives well and cuts well but I do have a shorting issue on the direction gear selector and it kills the motor.
Anyway I'll find the correct post to ask about that issue.
Cheers

B

Beowulf

Just found this site. Looks great so far.

I have an old 136M6960G062

1990 42" yard machine

W

Whiteshadow

Hello

Have a 20HP White outdoor tractor
Bought with a mower and snow blower attachments.

I am from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Whiteshadow

K

katewoman

Hi everyone, Im Kate~ I am new. Thank you for the add. I have a 2002 42" Yard Machine model # 13BF660G352

B

byronbgs

Hello all I'm from Louisiana and own a 1996 MTD 18HP 42" cut Model 136Q695G118. Original engine / Tires / Hydro drive.

D

dwade

Hi, I'm new here from Ontario, Canada. I bought a early 70's White gt-1600. I believe it is the same machine as a mtd-960, gear drive. It would run if jump started when I got it. After getting a wiring diagram because every wire had been spliced i tried to change the ignition switch. I couldn't source the correct switch and I admit I didn't fully understand that the wire going to the engine ignition was for. For some reason I guessed the engine needed 12volts to power the ignition.
Long story short, I put 12 volts to the condenser from igniton terminal on a universal key switch. I noticed the magic electrical smoke when the key was put in the 'run' position. Can anyone tell me if i fried just the condenser or did I fry the coil as well.
Thanks

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Hi, I'm new here from Ontario, Canada. I bought a early 70's White gt-1600. I believe it is the same machine as a mtd-960, gear drive. It would run if jump started when I got it. After getting a wiring diagram because every wire had been spliced i tried to change the ignition switch. I couldn't source the correct switch and I admit I didn't fully understand that the wire going to the engine ignition was for. For some reason I guessed the engine needed 12volts to power the ignition.
Long story short, I put 12 volts to the condenser from igniton terminal on a universal key switch. I noticed the magic electrical smoke when the key was put in the 'run' position. Can anyone tell me if i fried just the condenser or did I fry the coil as well.
Thanks

Hey there Wade go ahead and post this in the Small engine and Mower section........

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Texas Lawn Ranger

Texas Lawn Ranger

Hello, I've always had an MTD made riding mower that I use to cut the grass on my 5 acres. Currently I'm using a Huskee Supreme SLT 4600H which I bought from a neighbor years ago. I replaced the 46 inch 3 blades deck with a 42 inch two blade deck. Much easier to use and maintain.

Texas Lawn Ranger

C

Colin HUNT

Hello - I am new member Colin HUNT and I live in France. I have an MTD Mini Rider 76SD (420 cc) ride on mower and have attached a picture. It's generally a good device but access to things is not very good when there are problems to fix. I do have acurrent problem, eneven running of the engine, which I will post separately with more detail. Looks like a good forum!

MTD MOWER IMAGE.jpg

B

bertsmobile1

:welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome:

W

Whpnspur

[/QUOTE]

Hello. I'm a new member who has recently acquired a MTD Yard Machine model 13A6673G118. I believe it was originally purchased at Sam's Club around 1997. I am trying to find a rebuild kit for it. My knowledge is low concerning these mowers. And considering the age of it, I seem to be having some issues finding the right parts. I'd like to get a bagger sometime as well. I am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. I like this mower. The price was perfect, It was free.

T

ToddC

Hi, created account for mower help.

F

fargo-guy

I inherited an MTD TurfPower 42" lawn tractor with about a 12 h.p. Briggs engine. I try to keep it running in memor of my dad. It uses a little oil and had been running o.k., but now when I shut it off, it makes a clanging sound and it wheezes when it stops. I'm guessing it could be something with the valves. Any ideas?

G

gparksyard

Hi! Hubby bought a restored Yard Machine that works (or did) better than one that had been coaxed through the past three decades. It's wonderful when it isn't shredding belts. :)' Look forward to seeing if we can find some answers...

B

bertsmobile1

I inherited an MTD TurfPower 42" lawn tractor with about a 12 h.p. Briggs engine. I try to keep it running in memor of my dad. It uses a little oil and had been running o.k., but now when I shut it off, it makes a clanging sound and it wheezes when it stops. I'm guessing it could be something with the valves. Any ideas?
Check the engine mounting bolts for tightness