MTD getting stuck starting

Mwallis50

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. I have an mtd rh115b lawn tractor with Briggs 11.5hp 280h070311e1 that was working fine but now won't start. Battery was low but has been charged separately and now reading 12.8v. The flywheel does half a turn then seems to get stuck. I can push it round manually but it's hard work can do a couple of turns then it gets stiff again. And when doing it can hear what sounds like spraying. Oil smells a bit like fuel and looking down the air intake I can see a pool of fuel. Reading around it sounds like the carb could be gone? Appreciate any more experienced opinions as I've not attempted to repair a lawn tractor before. Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
One of two things are happening. Either your cylinder is hydrolocking or your valve clearances are way off. Remove the spark plug and turn the engine over with the starter. Put an old rag in front of the spark plug hole. If it spins freely, but gas shoots out the hole, your unit is hydrolocking and you need to have the carb rebuilt and an oil change. If it spins freely, but no gas comes shooting out, you need to have your valves adjusted.

Mwallis50

Forum Newbie
Threads
Many thanks for the reply. Managed to get the spark plug out today and fuel came running out without even turning it over. Will be rebuilding the carb as the next job!