Mower deck MTD Deck is not lifting high enough ?

larrygene

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, new member here. I have an old 12 1/2 hp 38 in cut MTD 7 speed. The deck, all of a sudden, will not lift to the highest notch on the lift lever. Because of this the blades do not disengage. When I try to start it, the lift lever is about two notches from the highest setting therefore the blades are not fully disengaged and the starter is turning the motor and blades. I have checked everything, for broke,bent, obstacles and I see nothing out of place. If anyone can give me some suggestions on what to look for, I'd really appreciate it. Thank You !

larrygene

Forum Newbie
Threads
The model # is MTD ----- 134L677F062 and I don't have the serial no. the data plate from the tractor is long gone. Thanks for your help. this model no. may be wrong also, couldn't find it in any manual. Did find 135L677F062 .

Last edited:

mhavanti

Threads
Check to see if the threaded turn bolt (pin) hasn't turned to the point the lift rod connector points are too long to lift by the lifting cam.

Derek101

Threads
Look where the lift arm brackets attach to the tube underneath they can shear the weld and slip around the tube can be hard to spot, theatre tack welded to tube.

larrygene

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Derek will check and let u know !!!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the deck and check the height lever can go all the way home without the deck attached before you start.
This way you will know if you problem is in the deck or mower.
The lifting lever can bend over time and the holes flog out oval I have modified a few over the years.
After that it is a matter of checking all of the lifting points for ovality, pins for wear.
The back plate is a prime suspect and if it twists then the deck will not make full height.

Do not overlook the obvious as sticks & stone can lodge where you can not see them without pulling the whole lot out.