Repairs Mtd 13aq665g713

glassman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi
a friend just gave me a Mtd 13aq665g713 that had been sitting outdoors under a tarp for a few years ! I shot it down in PB blaster , rebuilt the carb , new fuel filter & lines , new battery !! can,t get it to crank !! the engine moves buy hand ! but it's getting no juice ! is there a fuse or relay that I,m missing ???he said it was running when he parked it ! but mice got to the wiring ! he spliced it up ! doe's anyone have a wiring diagram !

thank's Glassman

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
mtd doesn't even wiring diagrams to there dealers and when they do it is usually the wrong one. had one a few years back that i needed a relay for and was told matter of factly that the rider in question did not have a relay and i was holding it in my hand at the time.

camaroz

Forum Newbie
Threads
What I normally do in a case like this is get out my multimeter and and start at the battery and work my way around until I find the spot the connection is lost. For example The negative of the meter to the negative on the battery, now I start going around. I start at the positive terminal on the battery, should have a reading of 12v (or greater if fully charged) then I follow the read wire from the battery to were it connects to, perhaps the relay. Does it still have power, yes move on. If no, then start investigating the relay or whatever stop the connection.
When I do it this way, most of the time I find a connector has fallen off or a little rusty and not making a good connection.

Continue until you get to the starter, if all is good until you get to the starter. It could be the starter.

Newer model have safety switches, example seat switch. You need to be sitting in the seat before you start the engine, or have a brake/clutch engaged. I look at those before dealing with the starter.

Hope this path helps, I know it does for me.

Electrical can be hard, could be something as simple as a bad ground.

glassman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank's for the input 'I will start tracing the wire's in the A.M !! I will post the result's in the next few day's

glassman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Today I went thru the harness with a multimeter ! & found a dead orange wire from the soleniod to the key ! replaced the wire & the soleniod ! now it cranks with key ! but no spark until till the key is released from starting position !

glassman

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's running & sounds great !! it had a relay stuck that works when the deck is engaged & a bad hole in the hose that gives the vaccumm to the carb ! next step is to try & drive it before trying to replace the 42 inch cut deck !!

thanks again for the input !!