jiwatson

My craftsman gt 5000 amp meter reads discharge when blades are engaged

J

jiwatson

Re:

My craftsman gt 5000 amp meter reads discharge when blades are engaged

BlazNT

BlazNT

You need an electrical tester. We need to know the voltage of the system while the engine is at full throttle and again at full throttle with PTO switch engaged.

J

jiwatson

11.6 volts full throttle 11.3 volts full throttle with deck engaged

BlazNT

BlazNT

13.x is what is needed to charge your battery and run you PTO. What is your engine model number?

J

jiwatson

I found a place marked family beds.7242 vf 275363 else 725 22:p ohv

J

jiwatson

I'm not sure what's going on with my tablet I typed Ybsxs and it came o u t beds

BlazNT

BlazNT

That is the EPA number. The model number is around the muffler.

J

jiwatson

Model H777 type 0241E1 code 030206 yg

BlazNT

BlazNT

OK, so we have to check whether your voltage regulator or stator is bad. This is once again done with the engine running. Before you start the engine find the voltage regulator. Should have 3 wires. 2 yellow and 1 black. 2 yellow wires are AC and between them should have 30+ volts coming from the engine. If not the stator is bad if they do the voltage regulator is bad.

J

jiwatson

I really appreciate all this information. I'll let you know what I find.

J

jiwatson

OK, so we have to check whether your voltage regulator or stator is bad. This is once again done with the engine running. Before you start the engine find the voltage regulator. Should have 3 wires. 2 yellow and 1 black. 2 yellow wires are AC and between them should have 30+ volts coming from the engine. If not the stator is bad if they do the voltage regulator is bad.

I found voltage regulator.It has two yellow wires and one red wire.The yellow wires are plugged into two black wires.I unplugged yellow wires,set my meter on a.c. started engine tested.yellow wires at wot. and got.nothing.

BlazNT

BlazNT

Did you test the wires coming from the engine? If you had some voltage befor you should have something when testing.

J

jiwatson

BlazNT

BlazNT

That means your stator is bad. 3 to choose from.

Alternator (Dual Circuit) Part Number: 592831 or
10-16 Amp Alternator Part Number: 592830 or
5-9 Amp Alternator Part Number: 592829

J

jiwatson

Would you have any recommendations as to where to buy these parts?

B

bertsmobile1

Before you toss the old one, pull the flywheel and check all the magnets are there.
Check there is no magnetic dust / gravel etc between the magnets as these effectively short out the small magnets and make 1 big magnet which drastically reduces out put.
Then check the ground connection of the stator.
One ( or more ) of the mounting bolts will have a wire from the coil under it.
Give it a good clean up if there is any corrosion or the bolt is loose.
Ideally you need to see 27V AC minimum from the stator and most manuals tell you to toss them at anything under 30 V AC as you loose a little voltage during the conversion to DC
X volts AC = x/2 Volts DC.

The stator is paired with the rectifier so if you upgrade you need to replace the rectifier as well.
Check the Yellow pages for a mower REPAIR shop in your area.
We all end up with boxes full of stators & rectifiers from engines that throw rods or seize.
Take your old one with you.

Briggs kept consistent mounting centeres for their stators so you have a lot to choose from.
make sure you tell the shop you have an electric PTO.
FWIW the colour,shape & number of the wires and the colour & shape of the plug codes out Briggs stators.

If you want a new, exact replacement , make sure that the new one has the same wires & plug ( including colour ) as the old one.

J

jiwatson

I pulled the flywheel and found a magnet busted, so I replaced it and stator with one's from another engine. I now have a 29 reading from stator. I'm not clear where rectified is located. I didn't find anything connected to stator but voltage regulator. Thank you for information and patience.

(deleted)

Not really familiar with that unit, i have a 13 year old craftsman 18hp gt and in the spring when grass is thick and juicy i get build up also. not sure it is a problem with the craftsman line just the grass conditions.

B

bertsmobile1

I pulled the flywheel and found a magnet busted, so I replaced it and stator with one's from another engine. I now have a 29 reading from stator. I'm not clear where rectified is located. I didn't find anything connected to stator but voltage regulator. Thank you for information and patience.

Regulators are found on dynamos.
Rectifiers are found on alternators

A rectifier simply converts AC to DC.
A better quality one has a couple of Zenner diodes in there that dump the power when the voltage gets too high and goes open circuit when the voltage is too low.

A single wire with a diode in it is a rectifier and provides little pulses of power going from 0.001V DC up to whatever voltage the unit is capable of producing then fading away to 0 Volts again.
This is followed by nothing ( because it is the negative cycle ) which is followed by another + pulse and on it goes at infinitum.

4 diodes connected together is a bridge rectifier.
This type flips the - to + so there is no short section of no power.

From there they get more complicated to make the voltage smoother.

the 29 V AC you have is +14.5V to -14.5V and when rectified it would be +14.5 V which is about what you should be getting.
If you measure the voltage from either of the stator wires to ground they should read 14.5V AC

In reality this will end up being just 14 V or a little less due to system losses but should be enough to keep the battery charged and power the PTO.

H

hrdman2luv

Regulators are found on dynamos.
Rectifiers are found on alternators

A rectifier simply converts AC to DC.
A better quality one has a couple of Zenner diodes in there that dump the power when the voltage gets too high and goes open circuit when the voltage is too low.

A single wire with a diode in it is a rectifier and provides little pulses of power going from 0.001V DC up to whatever voltage the unit is capable of producing then fading away to 0 Volts again.
This is followed by nothing ( because it is the negative cycle ) which is followed by another + pulse and on it goes at infinitum.

4 diodes connected together is a bridge rectifier.
This type flips the - to + so there is no short section of no power.

From there they get more complicated to make the voltage smoother.

the 29 V AC you have is +14.5V to -14.5V and when rectified it would be +14.5 V which is about what you should be getting.
If you measure the voltage from either of the stator wires to ground they should read 14.5V AC

In reality this will end up being just 14 V or a little less due to system losses but should be enough to keep the battery charged and power the PTO.

You're either a genius or greek.

greekalpha.jpg