Export thread

Mower not started in 7 years! Full tank of fuel and crankcase is full of oil. Tips?

Z

Zak88lx

Hey guys,

I just purchased an essentially brand new Lawnboy 22271 commercial mower with the Honda GSV 190 engine.
The prior owner bought the mower brand new approximately 7 years ago, and only used it for a few hours on his acreage before storing it.
The unit does not have a scratch on it, literally like a time capsule, so I believe him on the hours of usage.

The only issue is, he didn't drain the fuel when he put it away 7 years ago! :thumbdown:
We drained the gas into his fire pit, and it had turned completely yellow like lemonade.
I tried turning the engine over with the spark plug disconnected to make sure it wasn't seized, and it is silky smooth, no binding.

My question is, what should I do to this mower before starting it?
The oil, air filter and spark plug look unused, as expected for a unit that only ran for a couple of hours since leaving the factory.

Can I just add fresh fuel, change the oil and go?
Do I need to clean the carb?
Any way to flush any fuel remaining in the lines or carb?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

aqo8awO.jpg

KvbHjm8.jpg

UBDACeS.jpg

P

Pumper54

I would change the oil, check the spark plug add fresh gas with a bit of SeaFoam in it and give it a start. See if/how it runs before doing anything else to it. Might lube the control cables if you feel any binding in them.
Tom

Boobala

Boobala

You must go to church 7 days a week and fill the collection basket, NOBODY is that lucky, :laughing: ..:laughing: BUT, ..you should play the Lottery !! ..SUPER NICE looking machine, hoping it runs as good as it looks !! If you do have starting issues, I would first suspect the carb. and, would change any fuel lines that have hardened . ..:thumbsup:

Nice score !!

Definitely oil change, I would add a teaspoon of oil down the spark plug hole & rotate the engine.

Seafoam I agree for the New Gas (100% real gas) would be best.

robert@honda

robert@honda

As other have said, clean, flush, fill with fresh oil and gasoline.

Don't struggle to much if you can't get it started; after sitting that long, the carburetor is likely filled with goo. The good news is a genuine Honda replacement carb is usually < $20. If you'll get me the full serial number off the ENGINE block (It is in the form of GXXXX-1234567) I can get you the part number. You can then google it to find a dealer selling online.

O

outdoorlover

She's a beauty! You're lucky! Go for that oil change as others suggested. That should definitely do it.

S

spindley

Robert@honda is right. Do a full service. Oil , Blades , new fuel line , new carb. I am the owner of a small engine shop, and these are the things that happen every year at this time. Those carbs are not that hard to replace. I wouldnt hesitate on puttin a new one on here with a mower thats sittin around that long. Pay attention to detail , as thats the most important thing. If you replace the carb , you can expect the gaskets to tear when you pull it off. so while your at buying the new carb , get the gaskets that go with it. im sure robert can help you on that , if he can get the carb for you. Like Robert said. Model and ser.# is important. Happy Motoring.