Export thread

Mower leaving 1 or 2 blades of grass standing

K

krusej23

Mower: 2008 Poulan Pro PR160Y21RDP
Honda GCV160-LAS3A 5.5 hp engine
Two sharpened original 21 inch mulching blades
I didn't have any problem with this last year or earlier this mowing season. I just started having it happen the last 4 times I've mowed. When I mow, it will leave 1 or 2 blades of grass standing per step I take. I have tried walking really slow to see if maybe I was walking too fast but that didn't help. I bought a new blade that is on the parts list of my mower to see if maybe the blade had gone bad somehow. That didn't help. Could it be something with the engine not running fast enough to get the blade rotating quickly enough? I don't know much about engines but with directions I am not afraid to try to fix things myself. I just ordered a mulching plug for the bagging chute so that doesn't get filled up with grass. Could that be causing it? It seems like it's just not getting enough lift. Thank you for any help.

BlazNT

BlazNT

Check for build up under the deck. Scrap all old grass off. Make sure it is clean on sides and top.

K

krusej23

I will do that before I mow tomorrow. I'll let you know if that helps.

F

FIX THIS

Ideally, the engine speed for a 21" blade would be 3,454 rpm. That would keep it within the 19,000 FPM recommended safe blade TIP speed.
Now your mower mfg may have another lower number in mind...

K

krusej23

Ideally, the engine speed for a 21" blade would be 3,454 rpm. That would keep it within the 19,000 FPM recommended safe blade TIP speed.
Now your mower mfg may have another lower number in mind...

I mowed this last weekend and while it seemed to cut better, it was still leaving sprigs of grass bent over and uncut. It is probably only 2 or 3 blades of grass per 5 steps but over a lawn it can be seen pretty easily. Could the rpm of the mower be causing this issue? If I took it into my local hardware store could they speed it up or is it something I could do? This just started to happen in the last month so the mower used to be fine. Thanks for any help.

BlazNT

BlazNT

I just reread your original post. Remove the mulching plug then try again. Change Spark plug, air filter, and oil. Clean outside of carburetor with soft bristle brush to make sure everything is moving fine. Take a picture before you start just in case something comes off while cleaning.

K

krusej23

Could it also be the mower belt needs to be replaced? Unfortunately my car's trunk isn't big enough to fit the mower in to take it to my local hardware store to be fixed.

BlazNT

BlazNT

The only belt on the mower is the one that runs the wheels so no. The blade is directly connected to the engine.

K

krusej23

So the belt under the deck is not connected to the blades at all?

BlazNT

BlazNT

The blades are connected to the engine the pulley is connected to the engine. Engine turns the belt to drive the mower and blades. So the shaft that the blade is connected to is the engine.

robert@honda

robert@honda

So the belt under the deck is not connected to the blades at all?

The belt probably just drives the transmission for self-propel. The blades are bolted directly to the engine's crankshaft. E.G., if the belt failed, you'd still be able to mow, but no self-propel.

K

krusej23

Just got the mower back from getting a tune up at the local hardware store. Took it out to see if it works any better and it's not any better. What am I missing here? Something can't be right for it to be working fine in the spring and now in the summer it's not working quite right.

K

krusej23

It also seems to get worse the higher I put the deck up. Does that mean that it's not getting the correct lift from the blade? I've opened up the side chute to see if that helps while having the mulching plug in and that seems to help a little but I still have blades not being cut and bent over.

BlazNT

BlazNT

I have been thinking about this for a while. So here goes what I have been seeing and hearing from friends and people on the forum. This seems to be an issue with grass being weaker as the summer goes on. I think it is the grass we are cutting and not the mowers. I have a lawn that started doing this so I would double cut it. 2 weeks ago they found out the watering system was not working. Now the grass is back to normal and the cutting is also. Now this is just my opinion and you can take it or leave it.

K

krusej23

I would agree with that to an extent. The part of my yard that is doing well and thriving is still leaving pieces of grass uncut. I will take a picture tomorrow morning to show you what my yard looks like after mowing.

I was told to replace the spark plug and I haven't done that yet. Could that really be causing something like this? Is there a way to tell if the spark plug needs to be replaced?

K

krusej23

I see I could adjust the governor a little bit to make the engine speed up. I don't have a tachometer though.

K

krusej23

Ok, took my mower into the local John Deere. I'll see if they can figure something out. Otherwise I might just trade it in for something new. Any suggestions on a decent mid range self propelled john deere mower?