Mower dies

Jwright

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey I got a craftsman with a 21hp Briggs on it....I have about 3 acres to mow....recently I can mow for about 20-30 minutes then it dies.....let it sit for a couple hours and it'll start and mow for another 20-30 minutes before it does it again.....anyone know what's going on with it?

dwzkd

Threads
Really not enough info provided on the problem to help you.

What does it do when it "dies"? Is there spark? fuel?

That being said, it sounds like it could be a heat related issue. A few things I have seen:
1) Check the key switch connector and the switch itself. If the connection is poor, it can heat up with time and not function properly. Same thing for other connections where there is high current running through it. Mostly PTO clutch and charging circuits.
2) Weak coil getting hot and loosing power...

Could also be a randomized problem, like wiring rubbing on the frame. This most likely would be the kill wire to the coil. Could also be in the safety circuits (seat switch etc.).

If you post more details on how it acts when it dies, it would be helpful. (is it sudden? does it stutter, then die? Does it run without any indication of a problem until then?)

Also, model / spec information on engine...

Good luck.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You start by determining if it is an ignition / electrical problem or a fuel related problem
Tow ways to do this
1) get a can of carb cleaner & the instant it stops. remove the air filter , give it a SHORT shot & turn the key
Engine fires right up & runs a second or so = fuel problem
Does not start = spark problem
2) get an in line red ( so you can se it in the daylight ) spark tested and fit it to the mower
Go mow
when the engine starts to faulter watch the tester
Glows then flashes till the engine stops turning = fuel problem
no glow or flash whine the engine is slowing down to a stop = ignition problem

GEt back to us for more detailed instructions

frankmulcahy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey I got a craftsman with a 21hp Briggs on it....I have about 3 acres to mow....recently I can mow for about 20-30 minutes then it dies.....let it sit for a couple hours and it'll start and mow for another 20-30 minutes before it does it again.....anyone know what's going on with it?
Test the coil, it could be breaking down when hot.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm going with grass, dirt and bugs in the fuel tank. Old delaminated fuel lines probably along with that.