Motor cranks but wont start

Jkappel84

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I started my spring tune up today of my John Deere D110 lawn tractor. I changed the oil, fuel filter, air filter and lubed everything up I pulled out the spark plug and some how without using a wrench managed to strip the threads on the cylinder head. I pulled the cylinder head off re tapped the threads and installed a new plug no problem! I put everything back together fueled it up and it began to crank and never turned over. I had already started it earlier to get it from the shed to the garage to work on it so I know it started prior to doing the tune up. I checked the gap on the plug all good. I checked to make sure the plug had a spark by pulling it and laying it on the motor, all good. I put my finger over the hole to make sure I had compression, again all good. I attempted to pour some fuel into the spark plug hole but due to its location I had a hard time getting enough in but It didn't do anything anyway. I pulled the fuel line off the carburetor and it had fuel up to that point. This is where the frustration laid in, not to mention the battery being dead from so many attempts and me being out of options! I had to walk away from this point! I am wondering if I am getting fuel to the plug after the carburetor. Not sure why it would have happened though in the small amount of time i did the tune up or if I managed to foul something up in the process of the extensive spark plug replacement! Not sure where to go from here and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the air cleaner cover and air filter. Spray some carb cleaner into the air horn and try to start the unit. Report back what happens, along with all the engine model, type and spec numbers. We'll try to help you out from that point.

Jkappel84

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok I will try that in the morning once the battery is all charged up and I buy some cleaner. It is a John Deere D110 lawn tractor with a Briggs and straton 19.5 HP engine. Thank you!

Jkappel84

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok I tried the cleaner and even sprayed some started fluid in there. Neither did anything! I removed the selonoid out of the carb and checked it. All good. I removed the carb and saw I have combustion in the head when I turn the key. Still nothing.

Mikel1

Threads
Did you put a new head gasket or reuse the old one? Did you reverify spark?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You said you have spark, you introduced fuel, the next thing would be compression. Please post your engine numbers, so I know what engine we are talking about.

Jkappel84

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update: after hours today I finally realized when I took apart the cylinder head I removed the push rods and to get them back in I had to loosen the rockers. I never spaced them properly afterwards. So I got the spacing done and boom. Started right up! Thank you everyone for your help!