Export thread

More HTC Lawn Boy Pics

H

hankthecrank

You want pics well here they are, not all good but you will get the idea of just what I really have.

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

I assuming that you spent the day at the Lawn Boy museum and that is not your place:wink:.

bakerg

bakerg

Either you are a repairman:thumbsup:
or a hoarder:frown:
or both:laughing:

K

KennyV

I see why you listed your mower as 'LawnBoy'... :smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

You want pics well here they are, not all good but you will get the idea of just what I really have.

IMG_0836.jpg

Man, you are SERIOUS. It'll take me a while to react to all that Lawn Boy bounty. I'm in awe.:thumbsup:

What can you tell us about this "Brenner"? I've never heard of the brand.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

This is an interesting old mower. Age? Brand? I'm guessing it's a two-stroke -- ? And the control cable doesn't go to the carb -- is it a cut-off of some type?

twall

twall

To quote Chris Farley:

Oh my FREAKIN' LORD!!!!!!

:biggrin:

H

hankthecrank

This is an interesting old mower. Age? Brand? I'm guessing it's a two-stroke -- ? And the control cable doesn't go to the carb -- is it a cut-off of some type?

If my memory serves me that goes to a governor rod and then to the back of the engine to the carb.

H

hankthecrank

Man, you are SERIOUS. It'll take me a while to react to all that Lawn Boy bounty. I'm in awe.:thumbsup:

What can you tell us about this "Brenner"? I've never heard of the brand.

As far as the Brenner, I have googled it and came up with nothing.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Does this mower have the Duraforce two-stroke engine? If so that's a great mower -- built to last.

CajunCub

CajunCub

You need to be on "Hoarders"....Burried alive by LAWN EQUIPMENT:laughing:

H

hankthecrank

You need to be on "Hoarders"....Burried alive by LAWN EQUIPMENT:laughing:

Cant't bury me I'd mow my way out.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Here's what I'm curious about: how do you (HTC) find all these great machines?

H

hankthecrank

Here's what I'm curious about: how do you (HTC) find all these great machines?
I live in a part of the country where there was a lot ob LB's at one time, I guess anyway.

CajunCub

CajunCub

Man, I worked on ah many ah Lawn Boy & Jacobsen 2-stroke mower! I worked many years for a dealer & I know those things:confused2: like the back of my hand. IF I could have had a penny for every lower crankshaft seal I installed.....I could have paid for my new CC in pennies!:laughing:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Man, I worked on ah many ah Lawn Boy & Jacobsen 2-stroke mower! I worked many years for a dealer & I know those things:confused2: like the back of my hand. IF I could have had a penny for every lower crankshaft seal I installed.....I could have paid for my new CC in pennies!:laughing:

Is a special tool required to install a lower crankshaft seal? I don't have one that needs changing right now but that bit of info will probably be useful sometime in the future.

CajunCub

CajunCub

No special tool, I always just used a basic blunt punch. Just went very slowly round and round. The challange was to slightly clean the crankshaft with a light emorie paper before installing, and of course gease the seal first.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

No special tool, I always just used a basic blunt punch. Just went very slowly round and round. The challange was to slightly clean the crankshaft with a light emorie paper before installing, and of course gease the seal first.

Thanks. I've replaced other seals using roughly that method and it worked OK. I was a little surprised that you said that a lot of Lawn Boy mowers needed it.

CajunCub

CajunCub

The Jacobsen were the worst....but here in Louisiana, LB crankshaft seals tend to overheat because of our thick grasses we have. ie.-they loose the seal and begin to leak.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

The Jacobsen were the worst....but here in Louisiana, LB crankshaft seals tend to overheat because of our thick grasses we have. ie.-they loose the seal and begin to leak.

I imagine that you also put more hours on a mower. I just started mowing again a couple of weeks ago and it's just starting to get thicker.

As far as overheating goes -- as you probably know, it's important to clean the cooling fins periodically.

twall

twall

Did LB make many four strokes? Like from the aluminum-deck days? Got a deck for mine - but it's steel (and used). I really like the LB design, but I am not a fan of two-strokes (sorry). I've had a lot of experience with them. Two strokes that is, not LB.

We had several at the cemetary where I worked, and didn't have much luck with them (even LB commercials)- except the aluminum-decked JD we had. Self-propelled, bagger, and it ran great. We even had some orange German thing, with a plastic deck. We needed a two-stroke, because the banks going to the road were so steep, it fried every 4 stroke in no time.

twall

twall

Hey, I'm happy to kill a thread anywhere on the site........:frown:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Did LB make many four strokes? Like from the aluminum-deck days? ...

I think the answer is no, as far as I know, the aluminum-deck Lawn Boy mowers were two-strokes. I've seen a lot of them (own one, always looking for more :biggrin:) and I can't remember any four-strokes.

Maybe Hankthecrank could give you a definitive answer -- he would know if anybody would.

If you want a four-stroke mower with an alloy deck that will last forever, plenty of other brands are out there. My Jacobsen is Briggs-powered -- excellent deck and wheels, so-so engine. It doesn't do nearly as well as the Lawn Boy (which is also lighter) in thick grass.

Jake-2.jpg

twall

twall

I think the answer is no, as far as I know, the aluminum-deck Lawn Boy mowers were two-strokes. I've seen a lot of them (own one, always looking for more :biggrin:) and I can't remember any four-strokes.

Maybe Hankthecrank could give you a definitive answer -- he would know if anybody would.

If you want a four-stroke mower with an alloy deck that will last forever, plenty of other brands are out there. My Jacobsen is Briggs-powered -- excellent deck and wheels, so-so engine. It doesn't do nearly as well as the Lawn Boy (which is also lighter) in thick grass.

Thanks, Two-Stroke. My John Deere 14sb is a cast deck machine. Very nice. 5 speed walk behind. Kaw powered. Doesn't mow the greatest, though. I am using the bagger (only attachment I have.) Got a line on a NOS JD rear-to-side discharge attachment for that mower, and it might make it cut a tad better. My Snapper is the best cutting machine I own, but it's tired.....I'll put a new engine on her someday. (the diff leaks like crazy, too)

Second (in cut quality) is that rusted-out, abused, tore up, beat down, smokey Lawn boy. It almost outcuts the Snapper!

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Thanks, Two-Stroke. My John Deere 14sb is a cast deck machine. Very nice. 5 speed walk behind. Kaw powered. Doesn't mow the greatest, though. I am using the bagger (only attachment I have.) Got a line on a NOS JD rear-to-side discharge attachment for that mower, and it might make it cut a tad better. My Snapper is the best cutting machine I own, but it's tired.....I'll put a new engine on her someday. (the diff leaks like crazy, too)

Second (in cut quality) is that rusted-out, abused, tore up, beat down, smokey Lawn boy. It almost outcuts the Snapper!

About the John Deere 14sb - is the problem clogging? Just wondering -- I never use a bagger.

I've got an old Snapper push mower that I got for free and I forget what the problem is with it. I know that the handle is a little bent but there's something else -- :confused3:.

Both of my working mowers cut very well. It's just that the Jacobsen is a little slow going through thick grass and I have to be careful not to use it on a slope for too long. The Lawn Boy's only problem is that the wheels are almost worn out -- they may get replaced at some point.

twall

twall

Two-Stroke,

14SB - naw, it just doesn't have any 'lift'. It mows the grass too flat...I like a lawn that's been lifted a bit before it's cut...the vac effect. I put a brand new JD blade on it, too. Runs pretty OK......but the carb is messed up. It'll stall here and there. It's gotta be a float issue, but the stupid Kawasaki carbs are terrible to rebuild!

I got my deck (and I have my eyes on a NOS set of Silver Series front wheels...) from Ebay...they have a lot of NOS LB wheels, for every vintage........

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

... from Ebay...they have a lot of NOS LB wheels, for every vintage........

That's good to know. I've gotten lots of parts for old Stihl chainsaws on eBay.

N

nic123098

culd u post more pics of the brenner??:licking:

H

hankthecrank

Sorry to have been gone for so long but thats the story, as far as the Brenner I will try to get some more pics of it when time permits.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Sorry to have been gone for so long but thats the story, as far as the Brenner I will try to get some more pics of it when time permits.

Great to see you back, HTC. Questions often come up that I think you could answer best. :thumbsup:

K

kccamp

Did LB make many four strokes? Like from the aluminum-deck days? Got a deck for mine - but it's steel (and used). I really like the LB design, but I am not a fan of two-strokes (sorry). I've had a lot of experience with them. Two strokes that is, not LB.

We had several at the cemetary where I worked, and didn't have much luck with them (even LB commercials)- except the aluminum-decked JD we had. Self-propelled, bagger, and it ran great. We even had some orange German thing, with a plastic deck. We needed a two-stroke, because the banks going to the road were so steep, it fried every 4 stroke in no time.

I have a 2005 (maybe 2006) Commercial 21" with a Briggs 6.5 HP. I believe by this time the 2 strokes from Lawn Boy were outlawed because of the emissions, and my machine is one of the last 21" staggered decks (they may have built it for one more year after), but the Briggs lacks the power and the awesome sound that the 2 strokes put out. I'm a big fan of the 2 strokes.

H

ha4145

How many are there?

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I have a 2005 (maybe 2006) Commercial 21" with a Briggs 6.5 HP. I believe by this time the 2 strokes from Lawn Boy were outlawed because of the emissions, and my machine is one of the last 21" staggered decks (they may have built it for one more year after), but the Briggs lacks the power and the awesome sound that the 2 strokes put out. I'm a big fan of the 2 strokes.

I'm right with you on that. For me it's not any particular brand but the two-stroke engine. :thumbsup:

E

earthworm

Great pics and great storage engineering.
And I think all of us are "pack rats" , its just a matter of keeping it under control and saving the right things - Lawn Boys.....
What is HTC ?

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Great pics and great storage engineering.
And I think all of us are "pack rats" , its just a matter of keeping it under control and saving the right things - Lawn Boys.....
What is HTC ?

"HTC" is short for "hankthecrank".