More aggressive tires on Zero-Turn, What tires do you run ?

RayMcD

Threads
  • / More aggressive tires on Zero-Turn, What tires do you run ?
Gentlemen, what's your thought on more aggressive tires? Does going to 6-ply add value? I'm considering going to Big Bite Tires on my 48" CRZ. Same tires that come stock on many Hustler models. I don't what to dig up the yard but as is I'm tire of the slipping.
The stock tires (what I would call standard Turf pattern) are very prone to spinning, especially when one attempts to turn while backing up. Thanks, r

DK35vince

Threads
Running Carlisle AT101 bar tires on my zero turns.
Made a big difference in traction

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Running Carlisle AT101 bar tires on my zero turns.
Made a big difference in traction
It isn’t the tires as much as the operator. Putting aggressive tires (like the older Dixie Chopper) tires will tear up the turf. Practice your three point (Y-turns) for turning correctly and slow down just a bit on turns.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have xw2500 Dixie Chopper That some idiot put a set of ATV tires on. There are times that a mower is going to spin and you just can't help it every time mine did it would dig a hole in the yard. Got rid of them and went to turf saver tire. Would rather have it spin and not dig a hole in the yard than dig it up. Three point turns work much better.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
It isn’t the tires as much as the operator. Putting aggressive tires (like the older Dixie Chopper) tires will tear up the turf. Practice your three point (Y-turns) for turning correctly and slow down just a bit on turns.
I don't like the D/C turf boss tires either. Problem with them is they have a crown that the only part that hits the ground is a small area in the center of the tire and they do dig up the yard. Will take turf saver tires any day and do as TSE said three point turns and slow down. When you back up with the turf saver tires pull back on both levers and get the mower moving before you try to turn. Front casters have to do a 180 before they can turn good. Once in the reverse position they do follow better than they lead.

Last edited:

DK35vince

Threads
What does 3 point turns have to do with not be able to climb a hill or sliding off of hills do to lack of traction.
With turfs I couldn't mow the hill behind our house, replaced them with bar tires and I now mow those same hills with no issue.

Last edited:

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
What does 3 point turns have to do with not be able to climb a hill or sliding off of hills do to lack of traction.
With turfs I couldn't mow the hill behind our house, replaced them with bar tires and I now mow those same hills with no issue.
Went back and read all the post did not see where you said anything about climbing or sliding off the hill. Everyone just responded to what you posted.

bkeller500

Threads
3-point turns area best for a ZT same as a tractor. Any tight turns will most likely scar the turf eventually. Bar tires will certainly give you more traction going up a hill but will do very little if you travel sideways to stop any breakaways with a ZT. There are some more aggressive tire patterns available without going all the way to bar treads. Your car tires don't wear out if you keep going straight, it's the turns that cause the wear from the twisting on hard pavement. Dong the same on a mower the turf is softer than the tires and is most likely to show the wear. If you seriously care about your lawn bar tires may be a mistake.

DK35vince

Threads
Went back and read all the post did not see where you said anything about climbing or sliding off the hill. Everyone just responded to what you posted.
Where else would you need the extra traction ??
Doubt if you need bar tires if your yard is flat.

Last edited:

bkeller500

Threads
Rereading the post….. if your spinning tires only occurred when backing up, ease off the controls a bit.