Export thread

Mojack?? or alternative

Carheir

Carheir

What do you use to get your mower up so you can change blades, etc. Is a mojack the preferred tool or is there other alternatives?

Ric

Ric

What do you use to get your mower up so you can change blades, etc. Is a mojack the preferred tool or is there other alternatives?

001.jpgimg_0522.jpg Works for me, I t's great for use on the 21" push mowers. I also use it on the 48" ztr and My Toro Grandstand.

wjjones

wjjones

I use a mojack.

M

Mad Mackie

I have a MoJack Pro that I've had for 3-4 years. This jack is primarily used at a cemetery to maintain a Hustler X-ONE with a rear discharge deck. I like the Pro as it has a higher capacity and with a winch for lifting, it is quicker than the jackscrew models. Initially it was purchased for use on an older model Hustler ZTR that with a front deck mounted engine was heavier in the front than the X-ONE ZTR. MoJack makes lower priced models with screwjacks, but all are easy to assemble, partially disassemble and store either on the ground or hanging on a wall. In the pics you can see that my shop has a pit, so I am able to get under most machines by turning them sideways across the pit and removing the pit covers.
There are many Chinese produced equipment jacks available in many configurations, none of which I would own. When items are manufactured with the primary idea of being easy to package, put in a container for shipment and with the end user being the least respected in this sequence of events, I'm not interested. I'm not saying that I don't have any Chinese manufactured equipment, but I will say that every single piece has had to be upgraded or modified in some way to make it work as was intended.
Just some thoughts from
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Attachments

exotion

exotion

For push mowers I just tip them carb up. For other stuff I have a jungle jack its nice but doesn't get the deck very far off the ground so all you old people may need something better. I worked on a 54" exmark a couple years back I needed access to the hydro are the jungle jack couldn't grip so I used a scissors jack and supported it with cinder blocks (careful cinder blocks can and will break think about weight distrbution) that worked for me I have been eyeballing the harbor freight mower lift like the mojack but I only work on one or two riders a year and I don't keep them

davbell22602

davbell22602

Harbor Freight has mower lift for $89.99 plus shipping. I'm thinking about getting that or mojack from northern tool.

Carscw

Carscw

For $20 you can get a come along hoist. Then you can lift the front or the back. Lifts higher then a mower lift so you can sit on a stool and not lay on the ground.

Ric

Ric

Harbor Freight has mower lift for $89.99 plus shipping. I'm thinking about getting that or mojack from northern tool.

I saw one like those at tractor supply. you won't like what you get unless you like flimsy. If you watch the Mojack goes on sale all the time for like $99.00 at TS

Carheir

Carheir

Will the base model Mojack work on the x1i?

M

Mad Mackie

With the front wheels straight, you need to measure the distance between the wheels and the outside of the wheels. Go to the Mojack website and check the specs for the different ZTR capable jacks.

wjjones

wjjones

I saw one like those at tractor supply. you won't like what you get unless you like flimsy. If you watch the Mojack goes on sale all the time for like $99.00 at TS

Yep, and the manager at my local TSC said a bunch of them where coming back because the welds where breacking. I started to buy one but after he said that it made sense to me so I got the mojack instead.

Ric

Ric

Will the base model Mojack work on the x1i?

That would depend on your front wheel span. The EZ will accommodate a span of 35.5 to 47.5 inches and lift 300lbs. The EZ Max wheel span measurement: 18.5" - 47.5" (inside to outside front tires) and will lift 450 lbs. The XT and the Pro lifts will accommodate 31.5 to 62.5 inches and I believe will lift like 750 lbs. Remember your only lifting the front end of the mower so do under estimate the EZ or The EZ Max.

davbell22602

davbell22602

Looks like Mojack isnt offered at TSC anymore or there having website issues. No listing for Mojack at TSC.

Carscw

Carscw

Looks like Mojack isnt offered at TSC anymore or there having website issues. No listing for Mojack at TSC.

Only one they sell here is the pro lift

exotion

exotion

I think I am going to get an electric winch mount it to the ceiling to use instead of a mojack. Plus it can be used for so many different things

davbell22602

davbell22602

I think I am going to get an electric winch mount it to the ceiling to use instead of a mojack. Plus it can be used for so many different things

When say ceiling you mean steel beam right?

exotion

exotion

I'll buy a 6 foot I beam to distribute the weight over my wooden banisters lol no need to pull the garage down

Carscw

Carscw

That's what I use a hoist hanging in the shop you can lift the front or the back.
I lift my riders from the front. Sit on a stool and change the blades. No laying on the ground and no stand in the way

Ric

Ric

That's kinda weird they don't have them on the website, I was up there last week and they had a Cub Cadet up on the Mojack and four on the floor in boxes.

Carscw

Carscw

That's kinda weird they don't have them on the website, I was up there last week and they had a Cub Cadet up on the Mojack and four on the floor in boxes.

Last month I saw them here at tractor supply. Today all they have is pro lift.

Carheir

Carheir

Last month I saw them here at tractor supply. Today all they have is pro lift.

Yea, went to the local TS store and no more Mojacks according to the store mgr. He said the Mojacks were getting too expensive. .????? I am not into spending 3 - 4 hundred for a jack so I'll be looking for an alternative solution.

jekjr

jekjr

Yea, went to the local TS store and no more Mojacks according to the store mgr. He said the Mojacks were getting too expensive. .????? I am not into spending 3 - 4 hundred for a jack so I'll be looking for an alternative solution.

I got one from Harbor Freight. Much cheaper. Has worked fine so far. I raise. Kubota ZG 222 with it. Many times daily in grass season.

exotion

exotion

Many times daily? Wow. I currently am very happy with my jungle jack old people probably shouldn't consider it but if your able to lay on your back and get back up its a viable solution

jekjr

jekjr

Many times daily? Wow. I currently am very happy with my jungle jack old people probably shouldn't consider it but if your able to lay on your back and get back up its a viable solution

Should have said daily when we are running. Not many times in a day. Hope we never have to get to that.

Ric

Ric

Should have said daily when we are running. Not many times in a day. Hope we never have to get to that.

Why would you have to raise your mower daily?

Carscw

Carscw

In my opinion mower lifts like the mojack or pro lift are just a pain in the azz. You still have to lay under the mower and the the lift just gets in the way. You can't use it to change a tire.

Ric

Ric

In my opinion mower lifts like the mojack or pro lift are just a pain in the azz. You still have to lay under the mower and the the lift just gets in the way. You can't use it to change a tire.

If I want to pull a tire I just use a regular floor jack, it's not like you have to get under mower to change a tire. The Mojack is great for what it was designed for and that is occasionally cleaning your deck and changing blades.

davbell22602

davbell22602

I want the Mojack, HF version, etc. cause I can barely clear enough room with my garage jack to change blades or sharpen them. Plus my Matco cordless impact wont fit under it when raised with the garage jack due to not enough clearance so I have to use the air wrench.

Carscw

Carscw

I want the Mojack, HF version, etc. cause I can barely clear enough room with my garage jack to change blades or sharpen them. Plus my Matco cordless impact wont fit under it when raised with the garage jack due to not enough clearance so I have to use the air wrench.

I agree a floor jack does not lift the mower enough to get under it. But with a mower lift you still have to get down on the floor and lay under the mower.

davbell22602

davbell22602

I agree a floor jack does not lift the mower enough to get under it. But with a mower lift you still have to get down on the floor and lay under the mower.

True but still beats dragging out the air hose and air impact wrench when I can use a cordless impact.

jekjr

jekjr

Why would you have to raise your mower daily?
To change blades. In the Summertime in Lower Alabama when you cut Bahiah grass you get about 6 hours max before a set of blades is very dull.

Ric

Ric

To change blades. In the Summertime in Lower Alabama when you cut Bahiah grass you get about 6 hours max before a set of blades is very dull.

We also cut Bahia, every backyard there is in all the sub-divisions has Bahia grass. Bahia grass shouldn't dull a blade in 6 hrs that's ridiculous. If your sharpening blades that often you must buy the cheapest blades in the world or your doing something wrong some where.

T

Travis_R

Pretty sure I'm going to HF tomorrow and get the lift, or at least look at it in person. If I decide to buy it and for some reason be dissatisfied, I'll just simply return it.

If you're considering buying one, look online for FREE 25% off discount coupon codes. Just do a google search. If you order online there's only a $6.99 flat rate shipping charge and you won't have to pay taxes. With the coupon code and the shipping fee I can get it for $74.xx delivered to my door. Only thing bad is the waiting game. But if you go in the store you'll have to pay taxes, which probly wouldn't be much more than ordering online. If it will safely lift my Super Z then there shouldn't be any reason not to like it and would surely feel that I got a super deal. Just can't go wrong with that price.. But if it ever has weld or bending/weakness problems I have a brother and a good friend who can take care of that.

If I buy it and get to try it out on the Super Z tomorrow, I'll post results and pictures.

davbell22602

davbell22602

I can have the Mojack delivered to my house for from Northern tool so my total would be $240. Then Northern Tool also sells the work bench attachment for working on pushmowers for $100 plus shipping cost.

T

tybilly

I can have the Mojack delivered to my house for from Northern tool so my total would be $240. Then Northern Tool also sells the work bench attachment for working on pushmowers for $100 plus shipping cost.

I studied those for months, read all the reviews, I didn't like that with the push mower bench didn't come high enough to suit me,i want to look that carb straight in the eye..lol.so im saving for a heftee lift

davbell22602

davbell22602

I studied those for months, read all the reviews, I didn't like that with the push mower bench didn't come high enough to suit me,i want to look that carb straight in the eye..lol.so im saving for a heftee lift

Right now Im on my hands and knees working on stuff on a concrete floor. I have stool on wheels thats adjustable made by craftsman. I need to get this and then save up the $5k for actual lift for the riding mowers/zero turns.

jekjr

jekjr

We also cut Bahia, every backyard there is in all the sub-divisions has Bahia grass. Bahia grass shouldn't dull a blade in 6 hrs that's ridiculous. If your sharpening blades that often you must buy the cheapest blades in the world or your doing something wrong some where.

Yeah well when it is knee deep and it is raining everyday ay it will dull bus hog blades. I guess y'all's mowers are better than ours. It will do it with Oreagon blades and with Kubota Blades. The guys that run them say it does it with Gator Blades as well.

A zero turn stretched out will cut several acres in 6 to 8 hours. Bear in mind few yards in our part of the world are cut more than very two weeks.

jekjr

jekjr

I have seen guys run blades till they left a streak on the middle before they took them off and threw them away without changing them.

jekjr

jekjr

I am real lazy cause I use a cordless impact as well. That is the only thing I have that gets the ZG222 high enough to use it. My ZD 326 has it's own lift. It raises it's self with a crank.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I have a wooden 4X4 screwed to one of my celling cross braces. From there I have two removable wooden 4X4s that go to the floor. I have a chain on the celling 4X4 which I hang a come-along from. I have used this system for years and pulled a good many car and truck engines from it also. I have used this same system in other places also and find to lift a mower or motorcycle all I need is wooden 2X4s.

Carscw

Carscw

I have a wooden 4X4 screwed to one of my celling cross braces. From there I have two removable wooden 4X4s that go to the floor. I have a chain on the celling 4X4 which I hang a come-along from. I have used this system for years and pulled a good many car and truck engines from it also. I have used this same system in other places also and find to lift a mower or motorcycle all I need is wooden 2X4s.

This is what I have been trying to say. There is no need for a mower lift when you can just use a come-along. You can lift the mower as high as you want

Ric

Ric

I have a wooden 4X4 screwed to one of my ceiling cross braces. From there I have two removable wooden 4X4s that go to the floor. I have a chain on the ceiling 4X4 which I hang a come-along from. I have used this system for years and pulled a good many car and truck engines from it also. I have used this same system in other places also and find to lift a mower or motorcycle all I need is wooden 2X4s.

This is what I have been trying to say. There is no need for a mower lift when you can just use a come-along. You can lift the mower as high as you want

That's all fine but what if you don't have access ceiling braces and such. All that kinda sounds like shade tree mechanic stuff and probably not the safest thing in the world to use. The mower lifts are safe and secure and for the most part are reasonably priced. I mean really think about what your doing, you go out and spend thousands of dollars on a mower that you're willing to put at risk along with your safety because you're to cheap to spend another couple of hundred dollars on a lift to do a job right. Doesn't make good sense.

Carheir

Carheir

I thought the Mojack brand was made in USA but I was just in Walmart and the one mojack brand model they had was made in .........wait for it..........yea, you guessed it; CHINA. So now that Harbor Freight model might not look so bad. Don't know, haven't seen it but something to consider.

reynoldston

reynoldston

That's all fine but what if you don't have access ceiling braces and such. All that kinda sounds like shade tree mechanic stuff and probably not the safest thing in the world to use. The mower lifts are safe and secure and for the most part are reasonably priced. I mean really think about what your doing, you go out and spend thousands of dollars on a mower that you're willing to put at risk along with your safety because you're to cheap to spend another couple of hundred dollars on a lift to do a job right. Doesn't make good sense.

I can understand about the ceiling braces. I don't agree with the rest of it. I have worked in some big truck and car shops and pulled a lot of engines and for the most part used a electric chain fall on a metal frame. The only time we used cherry pickers is when we removed a engine inside a body like in a motor home. Now the come-along is rated at two ton. How many mower weight 4000 lbs.?? Is it my frame work you are calling not safe? The top cross bean is 5" and all the weight go's to the floor. Now as far as weight go's, maybe rare tops at 500 lb. and more like 200 lb. We are not lifting the complete mower, just the front or back. What you may think is not safe isn't what we all think and it has nothing to do about being cheap but a different way of doing things. I sure hope you are not under your 200 dollar lift if the mower slips off it. I will not knock the way you do your work if you don't knock mine.

Carscw

Carscw

It has nothing to do with being cheap it has to do with convenience.
I do not want to lay on the ground to change blades or a drive belt. And have the legs of a mower lift in the way.
I used to use ramps that once the wheels were on the base you could remove the ramps but still had to lay on the ground.

Not saying my way is better than the lifts for any one but me it is just one way of doing things.

davbell22602

davbell22602

Well said on some very good points. I just want a lift so I save up for a $5000 mower lift is all. The cheaper lift will have to do til I have the money for the real mower lift.

davbell22602

davbell22602

I can understand about the ceiling braces. I don't agree with the rest of it. I have worked in some big truck and car shops and pulled a lot of engines and for the most part used a electric chain fall on a metal frame. The only time we used cherry pickers is when we removed a engine inside a body like in a motor home. Now the come-along is rated at two ton. How many mower weight 4000 lbs.?? Is it my frame work you are calling not safe? The top cross bean is 5" and all the weight go's to the floor. Now as far as weight go's, maybe rare tops at 500 lb. and more like 200 lb. We are not lifting the complete mower, just the front or back. What you may think is not safe isn't what we all think and it has nothing to do about being cheap but a different way of doing things. I sure hope you are not under your 200 dollar lift if the mower slips off it. I will not knock the way you do your work if you don't knock mine.

My Cub Cadet 682 is too heavy to be lifting up in the with a 2x4. Probably wont take long to snap that 2x4.

Carscw

Carscw

My Cub Cadet 682 is too heavy to be lifting up in the with a 2x4. Probably wont take long to snap that 2x4.

I would never connect a lift to a 2x4 that's not to smart.

Most center beams are 6x8.
I have a steel A frame with wheels on it so I can move it around.

davbell22602

davbell22602

I would never connect a lift to a 2x4 that's not to smart.

Most center beams are 6x8.
I have a steel A frame with wheels on it so I can move it around.

I dont have beam in my garage.

Carscw

Carscw

I dont have beam in my garage.
That's ok I don't have a garage.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Lifting on a 2X4. First of all you lift on the 3.5 part of it not the 1.5 part. Next use a short 2X4, not much over 2 foot long. Then you need the braces that go to the floor. Its stronger then you might think but I wouldn't go much over 150+ lbs. Just think about it put a short 2X4 between two blocks with the 3 1/2 up and try to break it by jumping on it. I will say a 200lb. man isn't going to break it. I do it all the time at my camp to lift motorcycles or mowers. Now not the whole mow or motorcycle but the front or back. I have never had a 2X4 so much as crack much less break. Now also use your head and don't use something full of knots. Yes take a 1000 lbs. on a 10 foot long 2X4 it might just break.

Ric

Ric

I thought the Mojack brand was made in USA but I was just in Walmart and the one mojack brand model they had was made in .........wait for it..........yea, you guessed it; CHINA. So now that Harbor Freight model might not look so bad. Don't know, haven't seen it but something to consider.

MoJack is located in Wichita, KS and distributes products to major retailers and independent dealers across the United States, Canada, Europe and Australia.

Ric

Ric

I'm not knocking anything. I use the manufacturer's recommendations. According to Redneck Philosophy there isn't anything in the world can't be fixed with Extension Cords and Duct Tape but that don't make it the right way to do things. There's a right tool for every job. Using short cuts can only get yourself or possibly someone else hurt. My point is if you can speed 5K on a lawnmower another $99 to $200 at the time of purchase for a lift is nothing to spend and save you a lot of time and unnecessary work . As far as a mower slipping off a Mojack lift or any other mower lift, that's not likely unless again someone takes a short cut and fails to us the locking pins, fasten the front wheels with the straps provided and locks the mower brakes.

Carscw

Carscw

I'm not knocking anything. I use the manufacturer's recommendations. According to Redneck Philosophy there isn't anything in the world can't be fixed with Extension Cords and Duct Tape but that don't make it the right way to do things. There's a right tool for every job. Using short cuts can only get yourself or possibly someone else hurt. My point is if you can speed 5K on a lawnmower another $99 to $200 at the time of purchase for a lift is nothing to spend and save you a lot of time and unnecessary work . As far as a mower slipping off a Mojack lift or any other mower lift, that's not likely unless again someone takes a short cut and fails to us the locking pins, fasten the front wheels with the straps provided and locks the mower brakes.

Again it is not about spending the money.

The right tool for the job is the tool that works best for you to do the job the most efficient way.

Some guys use a walk behind edger and some use a stick edger some use a trimmer. What one is the right tool?

Some use a mower lift some use a cherry picker some use a engine hoist. Heck I remember in a thread last year about a guy pushed his mower off his truck onto saw horses.

Man it comes down to everyone has their way of doing things.
I don't adjust valves the way the book says to do it but the out come is the same.

reynoldston

reynoldston

A come-along isn't a extension core an duct tape repair. I don't care what you use to lift your mower with, short cuts cause accidents which you just said can happen with the Mojack because it can slip off if it isn't used right. I personally wouldn't get under anything without jack stands. I have them in different height depending how high I have lift something. I find I do most of my lifting with a floor jack and the only time I lift with a come-along is then I have to lift something high. Now if I need to lift a farm tractor I have a special high lift jack for them, but they are a lot heaver then any mower and a lot different style jack. With proper use in my opinion a come-along is safer and hander then your Mojack lift. I will never buy one seeing I am getting out of the repair business, other then my own equipment and toys. You are making it look like I use cheap tools and jacks which I have nothing to prove to you or anyone else. Your tool box is bigger them mine so I hope that make you feel better:thumbsup:

davbell22602

davbell22602

I wouldnt use come along to raise a mower or work under it period. I'd be safer with the Mojack or HF version. Come along is made of that cheap airplane cable. If the cable diameter was 1/2in or 1in then I'll get under the mower when its raised with come along.

Carscw

Carscw

I wouldnt use come along to raise a mower or work under it period. I'd be safer with the Mojack or HF version. Come along is made of that cheap airplane cable. If the cable diameter was 1/2in or 1in then I'll get under the mower when its raised with come along.

That's the thing you don't understand. When lifting with a hoist you don't have to get under the mower to change blades.
Kinda like a snapper rer you stand it up to change the blades.

I say if your not comfortable doing it one way then then find what works for you. This is one of them things that there really is no right or wrong way as long as your not flipping the mower upside down

reynoldston

reynoldston

Are you working on D12 dozers or lawn tractors??? 1in. cable, we are getting HD now. Next time you need to lift your mower you better hire a crane. I hope you don't think you are going to change my mine do you. Use what you are comfortable with and I will do the same. I am sure if it falls on me you will never feel or know a thing about it.

davbell22602

davbell22602

Are you working on D12 dozers or lawn tractors??? 1in. cable, we are getting HD now. Next time you need to lift your mower you better hire a crane. I hope you don't think you are going to change my mine do you. Use what you are comfortable with and I will do the same. I am sure if it falls on me you will never feel or know a thing about it.

I work lawn tractors. I bet I will know when it falls on you. Just like when it gets reported to press when car falls on somebody for not using jack stands.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I work lawn tractors. I bet I will know when it falls on you. Just like when it gets reported to press when car falls on somebody for not using jack stands.

I will take that bet. We live many miles apart and if my lawn mower falls on me I am sure it wouldn't make national news. Now we are going from lawn mower to working under a car without jack stands. That's me, only I just pull my car under a tree pull all the wheels then lift it with a come-along and work under it, what is a jack stand, never heard of one. By the way I fasten the come-along to the tree with duct tape or a extension cord. That must be one large come-along with the 1in. cable. Sorry they don't make a D12 dozer they only go as big as D11, my mistake.

Ric

Ric

Again it is not about spending the money.

The right tool for the job is the tool that works best for you to do the job the most efficient way.

Some guys use a walk behind edger and some use a stick edger some use a trimmer. What one is the right tool?

Some use a mower lift some use a cherry picker some use a engine hoist. Heck I remember in a thread last year about a guy pushed his mower off his truck onto saw horses.

Man it comes down to everyone has their way of doing things.
I don't adjust valves the way the book says to do it but the out come is the same.

It's not about money? Like I said if you're going to spend 5K what's another $99 to $200 for a tool/ lift designed to do the job safely. I agree some guys use a walk behind edger and some use a stick edger some use a trimmer and the right or correct tool would depend on the job being done. I remember that thread last year about a guy pushed his mower off his truck onto 2x6s on saw horses and he was an idiot and an accident looking to happen. What it comes down to is the fact that everyone thinks they have a better way and knows more about everything than the manufacturer.
The reality is it has everything to do with money because someone would rather spend twenty dollars on a come-along to do the job than a couple of hundred on a lift to do the job right and safely. Reynoldston made a comment that my tool box is bigger then his so he hopes that make you feel better and he would probably be wrong but the tools I have in my tool box are the correct tools for the job I'm doing at the present and 99.9% of the time using the right tool makes the job faster and 100% easier to do.

Ric

Ric

I'm with you, I wouldn't get under anything using a come-along to lift it. I've seen those things give and lose all tension in a hurry.

Carscw

Carscw

What manufacturer says to use a mo-jack type lift to change the blades?

My reasoning for not getting a mower lift has nothing to do with how much it cost.
I will go borrow one and use it so I can give my honest opinion on it.
We really can not say what method is better then the other without trying them all.

exotion

exotion

Blocks/jackstands no matter what you use please... I've seen jackstands and blocks save a few lives. If you use a comealong I would find a secondary way to ensure safety. Same with mojack and jungle jack I don't really care how people do there stuff I think they should at least have safety in mind.

Ric

Ric

What manufacturer says to use a mo-jack type lift to change the blades?

My reasoning for not getting a mower lift has nothing to do with how much it cost.
I will go borrow one and use it so I can give my honest opinion on it.
We really can not say what method is better then the other without trying them all.

No manufacturer says you have to use a Mo-jack type lift to change your blades and yes you can say what method is better because that's what they, (Mower Lifts) were designed for and are safer and the right tool for the job. Ya know you can use a pair of pliers to remove a nut and bolt but your better off with a specific size open end box end wrench because that's what it's designed for. Using the wrench instead of the pliers will leave the nut and bolt in-tacked not chewed up . There's any number of ways, short cuts and pushing the limits on things or equipment around doing jobs but when you have the right equipment available to do a job correctly and safely you should use it.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Like I said I don't have to prove anything. Have I got the right tools. Now let me see. I started buying tools around 1955. As of right now I have two upright tool boxes that are shoulder tall. One of them has the name Snap-on with the tools to match. This is how I made my living up till I am just giving it up now. Believe me you wouldn't make money without proper tools. I don't know where you bought your come-along from. If it was from harbor freight or China I can under stand why they are junk. I don't remember where I bought my come-along but it was made in USA and its many years old and works as good as the day I bought it. It has pulled many car engines to large 15 speed truck transmissions with it through the years. A good quality tool will last for many years if taken care of. Yes it has had the cable replaced but if you don't know this also there is different quality in cables. Next time you see a Snap-on truck stop and look in it and you will see a real tools look like. Just bring a wad of money because you will need it.

Carscw

Carscw

No manufacturer says you have to use a Mo-jack type lift to change your blades and yes you can say what method is better because that's what they, (Mower Lifts) were designed for and are safer and the right tool for the job. Ya know you can use a pair of pliers to remove a nut and bolt but your better off with a specific size open end box end wrench because that's what it's designed for. Using the wrench instead of the pliers will leave the nut and bolt in-tacked not chewed up . There's any number of ways, short cuts and pushing the limits on things or equipment around doing jobs but when you have the right equipment available to do a job correctly and safely you should use it.

Oh now that you say it like this.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I was checking out some of the mower lift jacks. According to you, you could lift a house with them. Not true. They are rated from 150 to tops 500 lbs. Now my come-along is rated at 4000Lb. So why was is that the come-along is not safe?? Are you talking about China made junk that they sell at HF. You get what you pay for. Now I hope you are using some good lifting straps with your cheap HF come-along.

wjjones

wjjones

I think I will stick with the mojack I have tried everything else, and when I got it I dont know why I didnt buy it sooner. It was day, and night compared to ramps, blocks, and stands, etc. And yes I tried the come-along too it works but its slow.

Carheir

Carheir

Here is the reply I got from Mojack when asked where the product is made.

Mike,
Our products are made in China, I hope this isn稚 too much of a deterrent for you because I can insure you it痴 a great product for what it is made to do. Our distribution headquarters is out of Wichita KS,
Please contact me with further questions
Thanks,

Nick Toben
Customer Service Supervisor, MoJack Distributors
3535 N. Rock Rd., Suite 300, Wichita, KS 67226
P:
D: 316-425-8187 Ext. 340
Mower Lifts Hand Trucks Lawn Mower Jacks - MoJack-The MoJack
Nick.Toben@themojack.com
<image001.jpg>

M

Mad Mackie

I just went down to the cemetery (not much has been plowed) and looked at the Mojack Pro and there is no indication on it of being of Chinese manufacturer. It is an early production model that I purchased probably 5 years ago. The welds, cut and fit are better than the usual fast and dirty Chinese production. I haven't looked at a new Pro model, but I know that there have been some changes. I borrowed a Mojack jackscrew model from a friend before I bought the Pro and it struggled lifting the previous Hustler Excel 260K mower that the cemetery had at the time. The 260K being an older ZTR, had the engine mounted forward directly onto the 60" deck which hung by four straps from the frame and this is why I went with the Pro model. Before the Pro, we lifted the 260K with a come-along hung from a heavy beam in the shed and to a hinged eye that I had installed onto the front cross frame of the machine as the cable in the come-along was getting damaged near the hook from wrapping the cable around the frame.
The two mower operators at the cemetery were very happy when the Mojack Pro was purchased, me being one of the operators. Our new Hustler X-ONE/60" rear discharge deck is a fairly heavy machine and the Pro does just fine lifting it. We have to clean the deck and change blades frequently as the old part of the cemetery is very irregular to say the least. With a rear discharge deck, the higher you raise the machine, the easier it is to get under to clean it.
As for the Hustler X-ONE, it is one fine machine and I highly recommend it!!!:thumbsup:
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

M

Mad Mackie

Attached are some pics of the old Hustler Excel 260K with the lifting ring installed on the front. The pallet jack lifting the Excel is a double high unit that I use to lift generators and other equipment so this old man doesn't have to bend over so far to work on them!!! However not a safe way to lift a ZTR!!!! This pallet jack will come up to the tailgate level of most pickup trucks which makes unloading from them easier for this old man!!!
This machine survived 18 years of cemetery mowing and saw several green, orange and red machines come and go during it's tenure, one tough turkey!!! Would probably still be mowing , but the 20 Kohler Magnum gave up the ghost at 2,000 hours, but not complaining about the Kohler, it was great power for this machine and ran for 18 years with minimum maintenance needed!!
Mad Mackie in CT :laughing::biggrin::smile:

Attachments

Carheir

Carheir

Well, I opted to buy the Harbor Freight model 1. It was cheap 2. I figure if it will hold up a couple years, it will be worth the money spent on it. I tried it out today and it handled the x1i with no problem. I checked all the weld joints and it seems to be fairly well built.

A question, do you disengage your drive motors when you lift your mower? Seems like I saw that somewhere but not necessarily on the mfg. website. Maybe just someone who felt it was a good idea.

exotion

exotion

Well, I opted to buy the Harbor Freight model 1. It was cheap 2. I figure if it will hold up a couple years, it will be worth the money spent on it. I tried it out today and it handled the x1i with no problem. I checked all the weld joints and it seems to be fairly well built.

A question, do you disengage your drive motors when you lift your mower? Seems like I saw that somewhere but not necessarily on the mfg. website. Maybe just someone who felt it was a good idea.

I wouldn't be excited to disengage the motors while working under it. They act like a tranny in gear just another thing preventing it from rolling

Ric

Ric

Yes disengage when you lift the front of the mower and after you get the mower in the position you need or want set the brake so it can't roll. If you set the brake and try to lift the mower you'll pull the front wheels out of the lift. Remember as you lift the front of the mower the rear will roll forward, if the rear wheels are locked and can't move the front wheels will roll out of the lift. I hope you got the safety straps with the lift for the front wheels if so use them.

jekjr

jekjr

I used mine this AM to change blades on my ZG 222 Kubota.

Absolutely unlock brakes to raise or you will pull it off the lift.

R

Ralph

For $20 you can get a come along hoist. Then you can lift the front or the back. Lifts higher then a mower lift so you can sit on a stool and not lay on the ground.
That's what I use. I have it hooked to one of the support posts of my shed and lift the back end of my 42" Craftsman yard tractor as high as I want with the front wheels on the ground. Then I chain the rear axel to another hook on the same post, just in case. Works for me and it's safe. I use it for blade changing and clearing obstructions as well. Makes all the difference if you have to clear old barbed wire from around the shafts.

The Don'z

The Don'z

Just personal preference, I use an engine hoist to life my 60" Dixie Chopper from the front bumper with wheel chocks behind the rear wheels, then use jack stands to support and stabilize the mower while i change blades.

M

morganflyboy

Bought the Mojack 2 days after buying my Hustler, I bought the heavy duty one for a few more $$$$$$.

M

morganflyboy

:cool:

Bought the Mojack 2 days after buying my Hustler, I bought the heavy duty one for a few more $$$$$$. :cool:

davbell22602

davbell22602

I thinking about getting the $200 mo jack and work bench add on from Northern Tool here soon.

R

Ralph

That's what I use. I have it hooked to one of the support posts of my shed and lift the back end of my 42" Craftsman yard tractor as high as I want with the front wheels on the ground. Then I chain the rear axel to another hook on the same post, just in case. Works for me and it's safe. I use it for blade changing and clearing obstructions as well. Makes all the difference if you have to clear old barbed wire from around the shafts.
Having been notified of new posts to this thread, I re-read some of the older ones. I concluded to use a comealong to lift the rear end of my 42" Craftsman about a year after I got it. When the one-year warranty was about to run out, I decided to use the one-time free service visit agreement that came with the purchase. The technician who came out the do the service had a swing arm in the back end of his van with a cable winch connected. He picked up the back end, pretty as you please, and changed the blades.
So, why not use a comealong for the same purpose? As I said, I chain the rear axel to the same post so, if the fence stretcher I'm using should suddenly fail, it's not going to fall on me.
If I had to support more weight, I'd do something different. If I had more money, I'd probably be tempted to spend it on a Mojack or something like, or build a garage with an hydraulic lift and a weather vane on the ridge. But I have what I have and it works just fine.

Carscw

Carscw

Having been notified of new posts to this thread, I re-read some of the older ones. I concluded to use a comealong to lift the rear end of my 42" Craftsman about a year after I got it. When the one-year warranty was about to run out, I decided to use the one-time free service visit agreement that came with the purchase. The technician who came out the do the service had a swing arm in the back end of his van with a cable winch connected. He picked up the back end, pretty as you please, and changed the blades. So, why not use a comealong for the same purpose? As I said, I chain the rear axel to the same post so, if the fence stretcher I'm using should suddenly fail, it's not going to fall on me. If I had to support more weight, I'd do something different. If I had more money, I'd probably be tempted to spend it on a Mojack or something like, or build a garage with an hydraulic lift and a weather vane on the ridge. But I have what I have and it works just fine.

And the mo jack legs are not in the way.

davbell22602

davbell22602

Having been notified of new posts to this thread, I re-read some of the older ones. I concluded to use a comealong to lift the rear end of my 42" Craftsman about a year after I got it. When the one-year warranty was about to run out, I decided to use the one-time free service visit agreement that came with the purchase. The technician who came out the do the service had a swing arm in the back end of his van with a cable winch connected. He picked up the back end, pretty as you please, and changed the blades.
So, why not use a comealong for the same purpose? As I said, I chain the rear axel to the same post so, if the fence stretcher I'm using should suddenly fail, it's not going to fall on me.
If I had to support more weight, I'd do something different. If I had more money, I'd probably be tempted to spend it on a Mojack or something like, or build a garage with an hydraulic lift and a weather vane on the ridge. But I have what I have and it works just fine.

If the cable breaks on the com along and hurts you dont come back here to cry the blues. Those cables on those are known to break over time.

Av8r

Av8r

I looked at the mojack, but like the pro-lift better Pro-Lift Heavy Duty Lawn Mower Lift - Tractor Supply Co.

The legs don't bother me, as I just reach under with the impact gun and blades are free

Mike88se

Mike88se

I don't doubt the mojack and knockoffs are cool and helpful. I recently serviced the blades on my Gravely 34z using a jack and jack stands. No sweat.

R

Ralph

If the cable breaks on the com along and hurts you dont come back here to cry the blues. Those cables on those are known to break over time.

Well, if I don't have any more sense than to use a comealong with a frayed cable I probably will come back here to cry the blues. I'm lifting the rear end of the mower this morning to plug a hole I got in the sidewall of one of my rear tires. I hope I survive the experience. All of you, please pray for me.

Mike88se

Mike88se

Well, if I don't have any more sense than to use a comealong with a frayed cable I probably will come back here to cry the blues. I'm lifting the rear end of the mower this morning to plug a hole I got in the sidewall of one of my rear tires. I hope I survive the experience. All of you, please pray for me.

:laughing: I'm an agnostic but I'll think good thoughts ;)

Carscw

Carscw

I been using come along for years and I have not got killed yet. I think you will be ok.

jekjr

jekjr

I did use a com a long but the place I had to hang it was not really safe. I can use the lift on the drive way. As far as safety I would think a com a long would be hard to beat.

L

LoCo86

Which do you think will stand the test of time of supporting under 300lbs a cable or the mo jack. I'm going with the cable it's not as if you're dragging logs with it.

Carscw

Carscw

If the cable starts looking bad after a few years just spend the $6 at ace hardware and replace the cable.
Some people act like we are lifting a cat loader.

djdicetn

djdicetn

If the cable starts looking bad after a few years just spend the $6 at ace hardware and replace the cable.
WOW....what a long, drawn out debate over lifting a ZTR for service!!! I don't have any way to use an "engine lift" mechanism, so I opted for getting the MoJack since my automotive hydraulic floor jack wasn't a viable option. I will say, however, that no matter what you use......be SURE to put decent jack stands to support it after getting the machine lifted. I say that because I had a 3 1/2 ton Craftsman hydraulic jack for about 10 years and used it to jack up my vehicles for oil changes. I never gave any thought to it....I just jacked it up and changed the oil & filter. A few months ago I was changing the oil in my wife's car, jacked it up and went in the house for something. When I came back out the car was sitting on the ground. I said to myself...."self, didn't you jack that car up"???? So I jacked it up again and noticed that every two times or so it lifted the vehicle it went back down a little....and after finally getting the car fully lifted I stood there and watched it drop back to the floor in about two minutes. Right then I realized why I had the jack stands that I never used and that "ALL" hydraulic(or otherwise) lifting devices CAN and WILL eventually fail. I went to Harbor Freight and got a good deal on a replacement floor jack(Sears no longer sold the one I had and I read some pretty bad user reviews of the current jacks)......but I must give the best advice given so far in this long thread(actually one user mentioned it earlier). When you lift "anything", especially a ZTR that weighs several hundred pounds or more....PLEASE secure it with some decent jack stands before getting underneath the machine. I can just picture me lifting that car with the old Craftsman hydraulic jack....crawling underneath it....and two minutes later needing to be rushed to the Emergency Room. Don't let that happen to any of you!!!!!!

R

Ralph

Absolutely. Or, as cheap as these things are, just buy a new one and save the hassle of having to replace the cable. I assume that the other parts will also wear over time. Nothing like having tools in top notch condition.
I just let my mower down from the come-along after mounting a replacement tire on the rim. Straightforward job except that the Carlisle tire I bought through Amazon was so warped by the strap attaching the invoice that nothing I tried could get the bead seated. I have a puny little 4 gallon compressor and it wouldn't deliver enough pressure long enough to make it happen.
After several tries, using a strap to force the bead toward the edge of the rim, and even trying to use WD-40 and a flame to create a mini explosion inside the tire, I finally ran out of all the profanity I knew, gave up, and drove the thing 19 miles into town to a mower repair shop. The owner had one of those tire blasters that finally worked on the third try. I offered him $20. He took $10. Wish I had of done that sooner. Smile on my face now.

P

Point37

just ordered the mojack pro (750 lb capacity) on amazon...the pro-lift 750 from tractor supply was more expensive...i'll have to get a set of jack stands from harbor freight for my tractor

J

John Fitzgerald

I did a lot of research on mower jacks, and looked at a few that were in stock. They would all hit the deck on my rear discharge Fastrak without having the wheels in the cradles. I opted for a high lift scissor jack and big jack stands. Less than $75 for both. Might be slower, but I am not in a hurry.

B

bertsmobile1

WOW....what a long, drawn out debate over lifting a ZTR for service!!! I don't have any way to use an "engine lift" mechanism, so I opted for getting the MoJack since my automotive hydraulic floor jack wasn't a viable option. I will say, however, that no matter what you use......be SURE to put decent jack stands to support it after getting the machine lifted. I say that because I had a 3 1/2 ton Craftsman hydraulic jack for about 10 years and used it to jack up my vehicles for oil changes. I never gave any thought to it....I just jacked it up and changed the oil & filter. A few months ago I was changing the oil in my wife's car, jacked it up and went in the house for something. When I came back out the car was sitting on the ground. I said to myself...."self, didn't you jack that car up"???? So I jacked it up again and noticed that every two times or so it lifted the vehicle it went back down a little....and after finally getting the car fully lifted I stood there and watched it drop back to the floor in about two minutes. Right then I realized why I had the jack stands that I never used and that "ALL" hydraulic(or otherwise) lifting devices CAN and WILL eventually fail. I went to Harbor Freight and got a good deal on a replacement floor jack(Sears no longer sold the one I had and I read some pretty bad user reviews of the current jacks)......but I must give the best advice given so far in this long thread(actually one user mentioned it earlier). When you lift "anything", especially a ZTR that weighs several hundred pounds or more....PLEASE secure it with some decent jack stands before getting underneath the machine. I can just picture me lifting that car with the old Craftsman hydraulic jack....crawling underneath it....and two minutes later needing to be rushed to the Emergency Room. Don't let that happen to any of you!!!!!!

If you are 1/2 handy the failed part will usually be either the piston seal or the pump seal
They are replaceable items on most jacks and only cost a few dollars.
But you will need to take them to a hydraulic supply shop to make sure they are the right ones.
The high pressure oil seals are not the same as low pressure engine oil seals from car parts shops.

Tomster

Tomster

I am still using this jack from Harbor Freight and it works great for $90

https://www.harborfreight.com/300-lbs-atvlawn-mower-lift-60395.html

S

SidecarFlip

I use my QD forks on one of the farm tractors.

jekjr

jekjr

I had excellent results with one as well.

P

Point37

I did a lot of research on mower jacks, and looked at a few that were in stock. They would all hit the deck on my rear discharge Fastrak without having the wheels in the cradles. I opted for a high lift scissor jack and big jack stands. Less than $75 for both. Might be slower, but I am not in a hurry.

in addition to the mojack pro i just bought...i have jack stands, a 1000lb motorcycle scissor lift, a come along (motorcycle chain style), a come along (cable style), a chain fall and a 1000lb warn electric pullzall winch...i just have to figure out the safest backup for the mojack...i'm thinking either the jack stands or the motorcycle lift

J

Johnba

I have used some ramps to drive the mower on just enough to get a hydraulic floor jack under the front edge of the deck then use safety jacks. Then I remove the the hydraulic jack for better access.

Now I use a Mojack for a Hustler 72 and 104 and an Exmark 50". Raises the deck higher and quicker than my old method. The electric drill winch option broke so now I just crank it. The 104 is pretty heavy so it may have broken the electric drill option. I set up a safety jack on each side of the deck so I can pull the Mojack back a couple of feet for better access. The blades are very accessible but the zerks on the 72 were installed facing to the rear.

It goes without saying to always use safety jacks even if you keep the Mojack in place. How much do you trust a Chinese winch and fabric strap?
Also I knew an aircraft A&P that was working on a retractable landing gear. It was late and he wanted to get home to his wife and kid so he did not take the time to put the jacks under the plane. Unfortunately he never went home again.

Be safe especially when you are tired at the end of a long day.

K

Kremeneon

I bought a jungle jack last year and am loving it so far. Just get the hook up underneath and grab onto the front of the deck, then pop it up and lay the jack on the ground. takes about 10 seconds.

Tomster

Tomster

That looks neat, however I don't think it raises it quite as high as the others and it costs $230!

K

Kremeneon

That looks neat, however I don't think it raises it quite as high as the others and it costs $230!

Not AS high but plenty for me to comfortably get my impact wrench on the blade bolts with lots of room to spare. Yes pricey for what it is, but it is built like a tank and there is zero fiddly setup.

Tomster

Tomster

Not AS high but plenty for me to comfortably get my impact wrench on the blade bolts with lots of room to spare. Yes pricey for what it is, but it is built like a tank and there is zero fiddly setup.

I agree, very simple, sturdy, and portable!

B

bertsmobile1

Some time ago I got some modified Accrow props ( builders floor props / jacks if the trade name means nothing)
These get used in place of axel stands because they are very stable and having screw height adjusters can be fitted where they are best, at the height I want not where the presets demand they be fitted.
These are much better than car stands which tend to be too short & truck stands which tend to be too wide.
In a pinch I have actually used them to lift mowers but as the threads are fairly fine, it can be a tedious job but got me out of the poo when I have left the big jack behind on more than one occasion.

J

Johnba

I agree with all the advantages of the Jungle Jack. A friend of mine gave me his when he sold his Hustler 60". I use it on my Exmark 50" and 48" John Deere riding mower but needed the Mojack for the heavier Hustler 72 & 104. The Jungle Jack may be strong enough for those but I wasn't.

I

iclick

I've been using this one for several years on my 50" Sears ZTR and have had no issues with it. Use a 20%-off coupon and get it for ~$70. Will be using it on my new 52" Raptor when the cutting season starts.