Export thread

Model 10313 Carburetor question

R

rover_nut

I needed to replace the primer bulb and removed the carb to do it.
But stupidly didn't take this photo before doing that, so now I want to see if I have the linkage in the correct hole (it won't run above idle unless I operate the throttle by hand).
Does it go in hole A, B, C or D?

carb.jpg

I hope it's not D, because that means something else is wrong with it rather than my screwup. :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Tom

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Hey Tom -- you did a great job of taking a clear photo and labeling it.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer -- all I can say is proceed by trial and error. There aren't that many possibilities. :wink:

dwblue00

dwblue00

I needed to replace the primer bulb and removed the carb to do it.
But stupidly didn't take this photo before doing that, so now I want to see if I have the linkage in the correct hole (it won't run above idle unless I operate the throttle by hand).
Does it go in hole A, B, C or D?

carb.jpg

I hope it's not D, because that means something else is wrong with it rather than my screwup. :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Tom
On my 10313 the throttle linkage is in what I would call hole "D". I'll post a pic of mine here for you to see.

Attachments

R

rover_nut

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer -- all I can say is proceed by trial and error. There aren't that many possibilities. :wink:
Yeah, that was my first thought, but since I need to remove the carb to move the linkage, I was hoping to only do it once.

On my 10313 the throttle linkage is in what I would call hole "D". I'll post a pic of mine here for you to see.
Hmmm...it looks like you might have a different sort of lever on yours.

I'll add that without the linkage connected, the plate with then holes in it is in the same position at rest as it is in my photo. If that makes any difference.

K

KennyV

With the engine not running the governor should be holding the throttle wide open.. :smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

With the engine not running the governor should be holding the throttle wide open.. :smile:KennyV

That's a good point. In the photo (post #1), it appears that the throttle is resting against the idle adjustment screw -- the opposite of where it should be. There may be another problem -- did you take anything else (like the governor) apart?

R

rover_nut

I removed the bowl and float, but that was obvious how to reassemble.
It sounds like the linkage should be in A or B then.
Thanks.

dwblue00

dwblue00

It looks like on mine that the govenor sits in hole "A". I think the govenor holds the butterfly of the carb open a little bit. Hope I was of help to ya.

R

rover_nut

It looks like on mine that the govenor sits in hole "A". I think the govenor holds the butterfly of the carb open a little bit. Hope I was of help to ya.
I'll report back later today. Thanks. :smile:

R

rover_nut

Thanks for all the replies.
I moved the linkage to 'A' and it runs like a champ.

So, early surging was caused by a failing primer bulb, which ultimately failed completely so the mower wouldn't run.
I determined it was the primer bulb because if I held it pressed all the way in (closing off the leak), the mower would run. It was just hard to mow while holding the bulb pressed in. :laughing:

R

rover_nut

Ok, well. this year it's running for a bit then dying.

I took it to the shop and they say on the ticket:
"Cleaned carb bowl and jet. Installed new air filter and plug. Unit runs better but has some sputtering. Will need a new carb to fix the problem."

Before I spend $80 on a new carb (unless someone knows a place to get it cheaper after shipping) I'm wondering if it's worth gambling the cost of a rebuild kit, about $17.
How well does a rebuild work on these, in general?

Thanks

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

When you mentioned last June 11th that the primer bulb was bad you didn't say that it had been fixed. Could that still be an issue?

I wouldn't blow $80 on a new carb until I had chased down several other possibilities.

Is there any dirt visible in gas tank?

Have you tried fresh gas?

Try giving the carb a good cleaning including all the small passageways (clean with compressed air if possible.)

I'll bet there's some problem with clogging, etc.

R

rover_nut

Actually in my first post, I removed the carb to replace the bulb.

But thanks for the suggestions. I'll clean the tank out well and try cleaning the carb. Meanwhile my wife wants to get the lawn mowed (it's already getting tall) so she wanted me to order a new carb so she could do that this weekend.
I'll install a fuel filter in the fuel line when installing the new carb and work on the old one, refit it and see how it does. If it runs well then maybe there will be a low hour carburetor posted for sale. lol