MB1842LT Drive Belt Changed, Brakes now inaffective and can't shift

shafab2

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / MB1842LT Drive Belt Changed, Brakes now inaffective and can't shift
Hello,

I had to change the drive belt on my Murray MB1842LT tractor as the old one snapped on me. I got the new belt based on the part number from the parts manual and it seems to be the same size as the old belt when comparing the two. With the new belt in place, I cannot shift even with the clutch pressed in, also once I have the tractor moving more than just a couple feet, the brakes are no longer affective. If I have the tractor in neutral and the parking brake on, I cannot push or pull the mower, the wheels are locked in place at that time so I don't think it is the brake adjustor or pads but I could be wrong I guess.

It seems like the belt is just a little too tight so the clutch is not fully disengaging the belt... I have tried loosening the clutching idler pulley and stationary idler pulley a little bit, but it doesn't seem to make a difference until they are loose enough that the belt slips off.

Any ideas on anything else I should try?

A question on the belt position, there is a belt guide/keeper in between the clutching and stationary idler pulleys and the diagram doesn't specify if the belt should go along the edge of this keeper or inside of the keeper...placing it inside is a real pain and seems to only increase the tightness of the belt, so I assume it should be on the outside.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or input.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / MB1842LT Drive Belt Changed, Brakes now inaffective and can't shift
Inside of belt keeper, take your time looking over everything you removed or took loose using your hands so you can be sure everything is tight & secure & in place. Also check idler pulley's & bearings for wear by holding idler pulley in one hand & spinning bearing with index finger.