LX277 John Deere dies on slope

susiekay1649

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought this tractor 2 years ago; it has 607 hours on it. Carb has been rebuilt, runs fine with maybe little 'hitches' in engine sound - not quite smooth. I barely use it, but starts and runs OK. However. Neighbor took it to try it out, and he has a 30 degree slope in his ditch. When running my JD along the ditch, horizontally along the length of the ditch with deck engaged, the engine dies. Runs fine with deck disengaged.

Local JD dealer has no idea why this happens. Neighbor has almost the identical machine, doesn't have a problem. No, he doesn't raise up enough off the seat to engage the safety sensor. JD mechanic claims there is no tractor angle sensor that would account for this problem. We figure it has something to do with the mowing deck, or possibly a sensor that the dealer isn't aware of? Any help gratefully appreciated; we're stumped.

Illinois isn't exactly mountain country, but we do have some pretty steep angles in our acreage. This problem effectively makes the tractor unusable except on flat ground.

Last edited:

Mikel1

Threads
How much fuel is in the fuel tank when mowing the ditch?