loud mower

busdrivingrandma

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a self propelled push mower. I hit some dirt and broke the pin and the mower would not stay running. I replaced the pin. The mower has been getting louder every time I use it. The oil is filled, and it is clean underneath. What else can it be. The muffler also looks good. I would appreciate any help. Thank you!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Then you say loud just what kind of noise are you talking about. There is a lot of different type of noises and they always mean different things are wrong??? Also just what pin are you talking about? Maybe the flywheel key and if so maybe when you put it back together something is hitting the flywheel?

busdrivingrandma

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your response. The flywheel key has been replaced. Nothing is hitting and the crank shaft is not bent. The motor seems to have a slight vibration and the noise sounds like, if the engine had a knock from low oil. There is plenty of oil in it. It does not smoke either.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
"The motor seems to have a slight vibration "

did you check for any damage to the blade, I would say its there if you say that the shaft is OK.

busdrivingrandma

Forum Newbie
Threads
I looked really quick but am going to clean underneath better to check it out. After I replaced the pin thing I had to play with the throttle connections because it would start and then stop very fast. Now it runs good but its still loud. Maybe the muffler? It looks good but its about 15 yrs old. I know I have gotten my moneys worth from it, just hate to part with a good thing.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Then you say loud just what kind of noise are you talking about. There is a lot of different type of noises and they always mean different things are wrong??? Also just what pin are you talking about? Maybe the flywheel key and if so maybe when you put it back together something is hitting the flywheel?

I am going to say the same thing WHAT KIND OF NOISE? If it is a muffler noise that is no big thing to replace the muffler. A banging noise is something hitting. Or is it a vibration?

busdrivingrandma

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found out what the problem was, the mower engine had loosed up from the deck. Had to remove the bottome piece along with the blades. Tightened up the two bolts and it is as good as new. Good for another 15 years. Not loud anymore.