Export thread

lost spark on the Honda

Mike88se

Mike88se

Brand: Honda
Model: HRM215K2 HXA
Engine: GXV140 5.0 (sorry don't have the numbers :smile:)
No spark. Disconnected the kill switch... still no spark. I'm just guessing but the kill switch assy just grounds the coil to kill the engine so when it's disconnected from the coil it's out of the equation and if the plug and spark are good there should be spark? The plug is good.
Time for a new coil right?

X-man

X-man

If I were to guess, your coil/magneto is probably bad.

Mike88se

Mike88se

Thanks. I ordered a new one. Right under this post was similar problems and I found a diagram that Robert@Honda posted so I guess I checked the problem out the right way.
Looks cold there!

reynoldston

reynoldston

When looking for something with the mag or spark, always isolate the engine and chassis before anything else.

Mike88se

Mike88se

When looking for something with the mag or spark, always isolate the engine and chassis before anything else.

How do I do that?

reynoldston

reynoldston

How do I do that?

The mag will have two wires going to it. Primary (small wire) secondary (plug wire). Disconnect the primary wire and see if you get spark or not. If you don't have spark its a good chance you have a bad coil. If you do get spark you have a chassis problem. You should be able to have the coil tested before buying a new one to be sure, if it isn't too late. Once you buy a electrical part you own it.

Mike88se

Mike88se

Ok good that's what I did. I was thinking that would tell me if the stop switch was the problem.
The mag will have two wires going to it. Primary (small wire) secondary (plug wire). Disconnect the primary wire and see if you get spark or not. If you don't have spark its a good chance you have a bad coil. If you do get spark you have a chassis problem. You should be able to have the coil tested before buying a new one to be sure, if it isn't too late. Once you buy a electrical part you own it.

robert@honda

robert@honda

Brand: Honda
Model: HRM215K2 HXA
Engine: GXV140 5.0 (sorry don't have the numbers :smile:)
No spark. Disconnected the kill switch... still no spark. I'm just guessing but the kill switch assy just grounds the coil to kill the engine so when it's disconnected from the coil it's out of the equation and if the plug and spark are good there should be spark? The plug is good.
Time for a new coil right?

(1) If no spark, try a new spark plug.
(2) If still no spark, try a new spark plug cap.
(3) If still no spark, disconnect black wire from engine stop switch and test for spark:
--(3a) If spark is good, switch is bad, replace.
--(3b) If still no spark, ignition coil is bad, replace.

Mike88se

Mike88se

It was the coil. Starts on first pull now like it used to. Still need to set that governor but not having any luck. I don't have a tach but I'd guess its running around 4 grand

Fish

Fish

So who ships on Sunday?

Fish

Fish

Mike??? You got this ghost coil when????

Fish

Fish

Don't worry about it, we know...

X-man

X-man

So who ships on Sunday?

Don't worry about it, we know...

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Mike88se

Mike88se

So who ships on Sunday?
I wouldn't know. Why?

Mike88se

Mike88se

The mailman brought it sometime saturday. Why are you asking silly questions?

Mike88se

Mike88se

Okay... I'm a little slow these days but I think I get it now. Look at it like this Fish.
You're entitled to have a personal opinion of me but that doesn't mean I'm going to care what it is :)
If you think you can look good by trying to make me look bad go ahead.
It's your time and you are free to waste it any way you see fit. I'm not going anywhere and I'm not making any changes. It's not likely you'll even get any more responses from me. There are a lot of knowledgable people here who are glad to help and aren't looking for drama and don't have such a fragile ego.
If you want drama I'm sure someone will oblige.
Did I mention the mower starts on first pull again? :thumbsup:

Carscw

Carscw

Glad you got back running.

I believe there is a option to block someone so they can not see your post.

Mike88se

Mike88se

Glad you got back running.

I believe there is a option to block someone so they can not see your post.
Thanks. Now I need to set the governor. It was running too slow so I tried to set it a little faster. I didn't think I even got the shaft thing to turn but apparently I did because now it's too fast. Touchy little thing ;)
The throttle cable is broken and the lower spring for the governor is missing so I ordered some replacements. I think I'll install those before I mess with the governor again. I'm flying by the seat setting that w/o a tach or experience.
Oh not that it means anything but the mailman brought the coil sometime Saturday. I checked the mail Sat nite... put the coil in and set the gap Sunday... better light ;)