Loss of Power Hustler Fas Trak

jrc1

Threads
My problem is that when I engage the blade to mow on my Hustler Fas Trak the power drops way off. I changed the oil and changed the air filter. Someone told me that it was only firing on one cylinder and was probably the coil. Would a bad coil cause it to fire on one cylinder. Is there any way to check to see if it is bad and is that hard to change out. I would appreciate any help with this my grass is getting high and all the local dealers here have a 2 week backlog. Thanks for any help

MRCo.

Threads
A bad coil means no fire on one cylinder, so your engine has only half it's power. Runs hydros ok but not the deck, which uses most of your power. You can buy an inline spark tester or pull the spark plug leads off one at a time when the mower is running- if you pull one side off and the engine stops, the other side is bad. Now, before buying coils, get new plugs. I'd change the fuel filter too incase your issue s not ignition but fuel starvation. Changing coils isn't too hard, you just need to get the air gap right.

jrc1

Threads
Thanks for the reply to my question about the loss of power to my Hustler Fastrak. I went ahead and changed out the spark plugs and it's still doing the same thing. I guess I'll have to change out the coils now. Not exactly sure where they are or what they look like , but I heard they tie in to the spark plug. I'm thinking they must be under the motor cover. Thanks again for your response back.

MRCo.

Threads
Yes, coils live under the top cover. Did you try pulling the leads off first?

jrc1

Threads
Yes, coils live under the top cover. Did you try pulling the leads off first?

Thanks for the response to my dilemma. Since I'm not sure what a coil looks like and not positive that is what is wrong with it I put in the shop. Of course they called today and said that they've cut a half acre with it and it is working fine. I said I didn't want it back until they check everything that might have caused the loss of power. I can't afford for this to happen again at one of my yards.