Export thread

Looking for a replacement engine

chops

chops

Hi since my 6,5 hp on my log splitter went down I haven't had much luck looking for a replacement motor with the same shaft length and diameter even looked at new motors I got a Briggs an Stratton Model and Type-125K020132E1 . 1 5/8 long from face of housing and 7/8 OD. PREFABLE WOULD LIKE TO FIND A REPLACEMENT MOTOR. Any help would be appreciated.

I

ILENGINE

The Briggs recommended replacement engine is a 126m02-1005 engine. What makes your engine unique is the heavy flywheel.

chops

chops

Re: Thanks iIengine

Thank you for looking into that for me but I screwed up on the shaft length size its 2-5/8 "inches long not the 1-5/8 I posted and looking at the specs on the 126m02-1005 it's gonna be a little over an inch short . I have called the coupler company love joy co in the past to see if anything was available to make up the difference on a Honda motor off of a pressure washer they told me no and that I was at the maximum of sliding the 2 halfs of the coupler on the shaft to try and make up the difference. I Really don't want to have to cut the pump to raise and weld it to accommodate 126m02-1005 between the price of doing both ill be close to the price of a splitter.
There gotta be an engine with the same shaft dimensions hell ill even buy and old one that works.
I appreciate your response Ilengine
Thank You
Respectfully Barry ...AKA (CHOPS) Someone already has the name barry in this group

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

A friend of mine put a Greyhound 6.5 HP on his splitter. Same engine as the Predator from HF. Worked well for 5 yrs.

I have the engine here waiting for a sump gasket to come in and replace it.

chops

chops

Thank you for the reference I'm bringing into the shop tomorrow to make sure I get the right replacement my eyes are not as good as id like them to be.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Here is a short informative video that I made..............

https://youtu.be/RTZ7V4A1e58

chops

chops

Thanks for the video the shaft on the greyhound is about a quarter inch short .I may be able to slide the coupling half's to make up the differance.I measured the shaft the same as you from bottom of oil pan. What I cant understand is Briggs and Stratton is wanting me to replace engine with a shaft about an inch shorter ? What is the correct way to measure the shaft ? Are they doing it wrong or we doing it wrong....lol. I just don't have replacement engine in front of to make sure and hate to pay for one through the mail and it's wrong

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Ok I see now......... You have a vertical shaft engine. I was assuming you had a horizontal. The one in the video is horizontal.

That replacement Lil Engine posted is for a pressure washer, that's why is has the short shaft.

The easiest thing and the cheapest is go and buy a new mower with a 6.25 or 6.50 briggs engine on it. Mowers have the shaft that matches yours.

Pop the engine off the frame and mount it up on your splitter.

chops

chops

Ok I see now......... You have a vertical shaft engine. I was assuming you had a horizontal. The one in the video is horizontal.

That replacement Lil Engine posted is for a pressure washer, that's why is has the short shaft.

The easiest thing and the cheapest is go and buy a new mower with a 6.25 or 6.50 briggs engine on it. Mowers have the shaft that matches yours.

Pop the engine off the frame and mount it up on your splitter.[/QUOT

Great idea ill check online to see if they have the same specs. First ill go to brigs and Stratton website to see if I can get exact shaft dimensions of my old motor and shaft .Not sure if I'm measuring it right by the oil pan. I did have hydraulic hoses made up and ran off of my tractor ran it for a season until a couple of mechanics at the hydraulic shop told me I was gonna burn up my tractor pump which will cost a lot more than a splitter. THANKS FOR THE INPUT I APPRECIARTE IT.

I

ILENGINE

Chops the specs for the engine model you posted shows a 1.44 inch long shaft the same as the recommended replacement engine I listed. If that isn't correct it makes me wonder if the part with the model number has been pulled from another engine.

Check out a 121S02-2005-F1 engine It shows a 3 5/32 crankshaft. Vertical engines are measures from the mounting bolts to the end of the crank. So the area of the oil pan that sticks below the mounting holes is included in the crankshaft length.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Please take a pic of how your measuring the shaft. Did you pull the coupler off to measure the shaft. ??

I looked up the replacement shaft and it does show a 1 and 15/16 length.

IL engine is correct on his recommendation. I do have a pressure pump engine and that that shaft is 1 and 7/16.

I also have 2 6.5 hp engines I forgot what they came off of but they are the same 1 and 15/16......

chops

chops

Chops the specs for the engine model and spec show a 1.44 inch long shaft the same as the recommended replacement engine I listed. If that isn't correct it makes me wonder if the part with the model number has been pulled from another engine.

OH no ive got a CRANKENSTIEN !!! :confused2: I watch these guys on tv go into a junk yard and make submarines and airplanes from scrap metal . Me almost 2years and I cant get this resolved without modifying something. I am getting closer to resolving this issue though come Monday I'm calling Tractor Supply to find out what engine was on there Huskee 22 ton splitter. The Positive note is that I have not purchased an engine and have to return it because it was the wrong one
Thanks for the help Ilengine you guys on this forum are saving me a lot of grief. Funny I purchased a rebuild kit with gaskets and O rings changed out the exhaust valve with an after market one I had to grind down 3-4 thousand to the allowable tolerance ,Reseated the intake valve and changed the piston rings out . It worked fine for a few months .My first engine I ever worked on I was proud as a peacock . Funny thing is all the parts fit right down to the carb with that Model and Type #. I was told I could not purchase the oem exhaust vale because of EPA regulation the reason I went with an aftermarket . I never changed the crank only inspected and cleaned it up.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

My next question was going be........... Did you buy the splitter new ??

I have changed cranks in engines for different reasons. The engine blew and the guy found a good one, but the shaft was a different size. ETC ETC .....

Did you take a pic ??

chops

chops

My next question was going be........... Did you buy the splitter new ??

I have changed cranks in engines for different reasons. The engine blew and the guy found a good one, but the shaft was a different size. ETC ETC .....

Did you take a pic ??

I got it off craigslist lasted about 6 years funny thing is I brought into the shop this morning and the guy ran the log splitter numbers and it came up with all kohlen engines not a specific one though so I need to call Monday when their open find out exactly what to buy .Just hope I don't have to change couplings or hydro pump to fit OEM ENGINE

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

All you need to do is find a engine with that shaft length. The mounting holes are all the same for those 6 to 7 hp engines.

Did you take the coupler off when you measured the shaft ??

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

What is wrong with the engine you have now ?? Is it salvageable ??

chops

chops

Please take a pic of how your measuring the shaft. Did you pull the coupler off to measure the shaft. ??

I looked up the replacement shaft and it does show a 1 and 15/16 length.

IL engine is correct on his recommendation. I do have a pressure pump engine and that that shaft is 1 and 7/16.

I also have 2 6.5 hp engines I forgot what they came off of but they are the same 1 and 15/16......

I believe I have a CRANKENSTIEN Bourdreaux I bought off of craigslist and assumed it was the engine that came with the splitter .I was never told otherwise I figured I got about 75 full cords of wood 4x4x8 over 6 years so I cant complain thanks for all the help I'm gonna get to the bottom of this on Monday . Just hope I don't need to modify pump

chops

chops

What is wrong with the engine you have now ?? Is it salvageable ??

yes I have it it would run for 30 seconds and shut down put in new carb .cleaned tank fresh gas new hoses airfilter same thing 30 sec shut down brought to local shop and they think theres a crack in it .suggested getting tested with a special light to check (sorry I forgot what they call that).but figured for a few hundred I could replace it and 2 years later here I am on this forum still trying to replace :laughing:

chops

chops

All you need to do is find a engine with that shaft length. The mounting holes are all the same for those 6 to 7 hp engines.

Did you take the coupler off when you measured the shaft ??
I was able to take coupler off of shaft side but the other half on the pump is tough as hell the pump is protected and not an easy access to get to

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Yes a crack in something messes everything up. We had a BRAND NEW woman's hospital in Lafayette La. 6 months later they had to shut it down,,,,,,, Too many CRACKS in the place LMAO......

Ok seriously. You got the coupler off the engine Great.. Leave the other half on the pump.

From the base of the sump/crank cover to the end of the shaft, not the oil seal it is 2 and 5/8 ? I think you mentioned that.

A pic would be a great help here Mon Ami.

Wow that is 12,000 dollars worth of wood you done split.....

chops

chops

Yes a crack in something messes everything up. We had a BRAND NEW woman's hospital in Lafayette La. 6 months later they had to shut it down,,,,,,, Too many CRACKS in the place LMAO......

Ok seriously. You got the coupler off the engine Great.. Leave the other half on the pump.

From the base of the sump/crank cover to the end of the shaft, not the oil seal it is 2 and 5/8 ? I think you mentioned that.

A pic would be a great help here Mon Ami.

Wow that is 12,000 dollars worth of wood you done split.....

Yea the new VA they built 2 years ago is all cracking also.. no joke. Had a veteran buddie from Lafayette got a purple heart in Beirut Lebanon blown off of a D8 high track dozer. I was stationed in Gulfport Miss with him
Ill take a pic tomorrow in daylight but I did it the same as you did in the video.
I'm a cheap one I put central heat on for a month almost $300 bucks I put a wood stove in the bedroom and have a fireplace in the living room. 12 years I been burning wood I first started chopping pallets and using a mall to split then I got to old to keep up and bought the splitter .Hell woods free plus I even get paid to take the wood .Got about 4and half cord cut already but like to have 11-12 in case of a bad winter... Bon ton Roulay

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Ok I broke out another engine which is a 12F802 and I took the blade boss off with my pullers.

It has a a 2 and 5/8 shaft on it. give or take a 1/16 depends on where you stick you tape measure.

I am not trying to make yhis thread long. BS I am trying to get to the bottom of this for you Chops. LOL

Like I said if you have a 2 and 5/8 shaft then buy a mower with the same shaft length. Cheaper than ordering a engine seperate. Some mowers new are 200.00 bux in the late season right now.

Also you will have a new frame for swapping or if yours rusts out you can put your other mower engine on it ...........

chops

chops

Ok I broke out another engine which is a 12F802 and I took the blade boss off with my pullers.

It has a a 2 and 5/8 shaft on it. give or take a 1/16 depends on where you stick you tape measure.

I am not trying to make yhis thread long. BS I am trying to get to the bottom of this for you Chops. LOL

Like I said if you have a 2 and 5/8 shaft then buy a mower with the same shaft length. Cheaper than ordering a engine seperate. Some mowers new are 200.00 bux in the late season right now.

Also you will have a new frame for swapping or if yours rusts out you can put your other mower engine on it ...........

well that's some good news to hear ill show you a pic with dimensions tomorrow once I figure how to up load it. probably sell the frame ive got a
52'' zero turn and a 3 blade 5 foot deck on the JD IM GONNA CHECK OUT THE MODEL YOU SENT ME .

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

I broke out 2 more engines that WERE on Mowers. They are 2 and 5/8 inch shafts also.

I

ILENGINE

If you are measuring from the bottom of the sump to the end of the crankshaft then you are not measuring correctly. the distance from the bottom of the sump to the mounting ring also has be added to the amount that the crank sticks out of the sump. Horizontals are measures but how much sticks out of the engine, but on vertical you have to include the area below the bolt mounting circle in your length measurement.

So an engine that has 2 5/8 inches of exposed crankshaft could be 3 5/32 from the mounting ring.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Yes IL engine he is measuring from the sump cover to the end of the shaft. I did do that to reference that back to him.

That way he can find another engine with the same length on a new mower.

I

ILENGINE

that is the easiest for most people to measure, I was referencing for a new replacement engine that isn't mounted. What is this engine going on anyway. I though a log splitter, but the engine referenced is for a pressure washer. If this is going on either then any engine mounted on a mower, that he purchases will need to have the flywheel replaced because of the heavy flywheel requirement.

An engine with a crank that is too long can always be shortened fairly easily, which is the reason I brought up the engine with the 3 5/32 crank.

chops

chops

that is the easiest for most people to measure, I was referencing for a new replacement engine that isn't mounted. What is this engine going on anyway. I though a log splitter, but the engine referenced is for a pressure washer. If this is going on either then any engine mounted on a mower, that he purchases will need to have the flywheel replaced because of the heavy flywheel requirement.

An engine with a crank that is too long can always be shortened fairly easily, which is the reason I brought up the engine with the 3 5/32 crank.

This is great information guys this is giving me several options to choose from and also the correct way to measure shaft along with info on flywheels .Hopefully Tractor supply will let me know the original engine that belongs on there or I will have too choose the options that you guys posted. The main thing is these options are all cheaper than a new splitter and I won't have to do my Bubble gum weld on anything .Thanks a Bunch Fellows I reallyt do appreciate it. Respectfully Barry AKA (CHOPS)

chops

chops

I up-loaded a pic of a measurement I believe if I understood correctly from IL ENGINEIMG_20170813_134929.jpg hopefully this is the correct way it measures about 3-1/4" give or take 1/16" for shaky hands. Looking for approval or constructive criticism both are welcome !

I

ILENGINE

3 1/4 plus the 1/16 error factor give you 3 5/16 which is what the crank on the last model i suggested measures.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Great now you know what you need. But you cant measure like that with a engine on a mower. LOL.

Now all you gotta do is shop for the cheapest mower you can find with a 6.75 HP engine.

IL Engine I had a pressure washer come in last week. I changed the mag on it. It has the same exact flywheel as a mower does. So I don't think chops has to worry about that going on his splitter. Same application IMHO.

chops

chops

IMG_20170813_134929.jpg

Attachments

chops

chops

Great now you know what you need. But you cant measure like that with a engine on a mower. LOL.

Now all you gotta do is shop for the cheapest mower you can find with a 6.75 HP engine.

IL Engine I had a pressure washer come in last week. I changed the mag on it. It has the same exact flywheel as a mower does. So I don't think chops has to worry about that going on his splitter. Same application IMHO.

I was gonna ask about the flywheel glad you brought that up BOUDREAUX

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Yes we can see the pic. Measuring from the mount ring to the end of the shaft.

The heavy flywheel IL engine is speaking about is mostly for engines that don't have a blade on them. That 21 or 22 inch blade on a mower is helping out the flywheel when you pull the rope to start it.

chops

chops

Yes we can see the pic. Measuring from the mount ring to the end of the shaft.

The heavy flywheel IL engine is speaking about is mostly for engines that don't have a blade on them. That 21 or 22 inch blade on a mower is helping out the flywheel when you pull the rope to start it.
With that in mind BOUDREAUX IM thinking that was not original motor that came with splitter

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Probably not but we don't know that do we .............

Someone might have done some welding on there also to move the pump.. I am gonna send you a pm on here so check that..........