Export thread

Lithium battery dedicated edger?

1 Lucky Texan

Anyone make such an animal?

or

I did see an Oregon powerhead attachment system, anything else like that available in other manufacturer lines?

I bought a new home on a corner lot - with sidewalks. Can't stand the thought of using my old GW string trimmer on its side for all that.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Anyone make such an animal?

or

I did see an Oregon powerhead attachment system, anything else like that available in other manufacturer lines?

I bought a new home on a corner lot - with sidewalks. Can't stand the thought of using my old GW string trimmer on its side for all that.

The only one I’m aware of is the Ryobi 18 volt model, which replaces the old 24 volt model. You can get one with battery and charger at Home Depot dot com for $119 (model P2310).

1 Lucky Texan

OK, thanx!

1 Lucky Texan

Well, I bought one. OMG, SO much better than using a sideways string trimmer. The battery capacity is not great,also seems like it may burn thru blades quickly, but I'm dealing with a LOT of neglected edges so, perhaps it will be better when I get to maintenance instead of 'remediation' levels of use. Ergonomics and construction seem good so far.

I think I'm going to eventually replace all my old 18V ni-cd B&D stuff with the Ryobi one+ options.

It's about time huh?

L

Lithium Man

I use the Ego edger from the power head attachment line up. It works extremely well. I use it commercially just about everyday.

L

LotusLord

Well, I bought one. OMG, SO much better than using a sideways string trimmer. The battery capacity is not great,also seems like it may burn thru blades quickly, but I'm dealing with a LOT of neglected edges so, perhaps it will be better when I get to maintenance instead of 'remediation' levels of use. Ergonomics and construction seem good so far.

I think I'm going to eventually replace all my old 18V ni-cd B&D stuff with the Ryobi one+ options.

It's about time huh?

I got a Ryobi One+ tool kit with ni-cd batteries in 2005ish. The batteries are still compatible with new chargers and tools and vice versa. I've since picked up a battery powered blower in from the same line and I'm quite happy with it. That said I have a B&D string trimmer that I got as a hand me down. It is functional but the battery life is not where I like it to be, and a lot can be said about universal batteries (I can't find additional batteries or chargers for this trimmer). Please come back and post if the edger ends up being OK for you as I don't yet have one and at some point would like to. My grandpa is looking down on me and shaking his head at the neglect my lawn is seeing.

1 Lucky Texan

Lotus, I have already gone back over most of the areas I edged and performance/battery life are fine. As the blade wears, it can both be flipped over and re-mounted, as well as lowered farther so, my first guess about wear is not as concerning to me. I'm not tall, but the length of the 'stick' still seems a little short - I probably need to adjust the D handle to be in a little more 'ergonomic' position - sometimes hard to know when both wheels are on the concrete.

To me, it's a keeper!

L

LotusLord

Lotus, I have already gone back over most of the areas I edged and performance/battery life are fine. As the blade wears, it can both be flipped over and re-mounted, as well as lowered farther so, my first guess about wear is not as concerning to me. I'm not tall, but the length of the 'stick' still seems a little short - I probably need to adjust the D handle to be in a little more 'ergonomic' position - sometimes hard to know when both wheels are on the concrete.

To me, it's a keeper!

Cheers Texan. I'll keep my eye out for deals. Maybe it'll be a gift to myself since the kids probably aren't thinking of me much with a birthday and vacation on the horizon.

1 Lucky Texan

Last time I used the edger, it was vibrating somewhat - I may need to put a new blade on it or try to balance the half-worn one on there. There does seem to be a little shaft play but I can't be certain if it was always like that.

My MIL bought 2 months of lawn service for me (so I'm temporarily surrendering my man card I guess) but, I'll update what I find with it next time I use it.

dougmacm

dougmacm

I bought into the Ryobi 18V Lithium Tool line back in 2012 and have accumulated quite a few tools & batteries for my shop as well as my yard since. Since I already have plenty of batteries and chargers, I ordered the Tool Only Ryobi P2300B 18V Edger last Spring.

Have owned my house since 1992 and had never owned or used a powered edger … done some hand edging with a spade a time or two but that is it. So the task at hand was indeed a challenge for this "non-gas-powered" tool last Spring.

Anyway, had to go slow to avoid tripping the circuit breaker and burned through 2 4Ah batteries total, maybe an hours worth of work. It was easy to operate and is certainly capable, but if you are used to a gas power one, you may not agree.

The blade was barely worn from the 1st use, so I did not even bother flipping it over when I re-edged again about a month ago. It was really hot out that day so I only did my front walks and driveway, saved the back patio area for later.

Key is to go slow and don't attempt with anything other than a 4Ah or higher capacity battery; the tool is only 18V and does not have a lot of torque.

I've recently bought a Greenworks 40V G-MAX Brushless 14" String Trimmer that is attachment capable and my brother has the edger attachment that I plan on borrowing to try out in my back yard. I'm sure with the brushless motor and double the voltage at the same 4Ah this tool will be more up to the job.

If Ryobi would re-design the P23008B with a more powerful Brushless motor like it has been doing with many 18V tools, it would be perform much better.

Doug

1 Lucky Texan

I noticed the 2 Ryobi yard tools I now have; edger and now a trimmer, are deficient in missing a convenient 'hang-up keyhole slot' that my greenworks trimmer and blower have.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Greenworks Commercial is now selling an 82 volt dedicated stick edger, but it doesn’t look like it has any kind of slot or hook for wall hanging.

https://greenworkscommercial.com/us/en-us/products/trimmers-ge-080

1 Lucky Texan

It's a minor complaint - just that I hang a coupla tools on screws on the inside of the shed doors at this new home. Disappointed that neither of the Ryobi yard tools can hang there.

Not worth adopting a 3rd battery system lol!

I might be able to use some big bicycle hanging hook to grab the left-hand handle - hmmm, I may have one in my 'misc. junk' storage tub.....

1 Lucky Texan

The Ryobi is already dead.
When does Lowes put yard equipment on sale?

1 Lucky Texan

Does Lowe's handle a Greenworks warranty claim the same way as a Kobalt warranty claim?

I'd 'like' to get a Kobalt 80V edger but the GW 60v is on sale (last day today) at a decent price.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Unless you buy an extended warranty through Lowe's, I doubt there would be a difference, but since I've never owned or returned a Kobalt tool, I can't say for sure. Of course, they do typically have a 30 day free return on all in-store and most online purchases. Have you tried contacting their customer service to see if they handle it differently ?

1 Lucky Texan

Unless you buy an extended warranty through Lowe's, I doubt there would be a difference, but since I've never owned or returned a Kobalt tool, I can't say for sure. Of course, they do typically have a 30 day free return on all in-store and most online purchases. Have you tried contacting their customer service to see if they handle it differently ?

nah, I should have but, all my other GW tools have been from OK to stellar so, I just 'went for it'. The Kobalt 80v wasn't on sale so, I ordered (not stocked at my Lowe's) the GW 60v. 10% off and I used a $50 gc my middle daughter gave me last Xmas. JUst couldn't talk myself into the xtra expense right now for the Kobalt.

MowerMike

MowerMike

nah, I should have but, all my other GW tools have been from OK to stellar so, I just 'went for it'. The Kobalt 80v wasn't on sale so, I ordered (not stocked at my Lowe's) the GW 60v. 10% off and I used a $50 gc my middle daughter gave me last Xmas. JUst couldn't talk myself into the xtra expense right now for the Kobalt.

The chance that something will go wrong is very small, and the Kobalt and Greenworks edgers are virtually identical except for the different battery voltage. My original G-Max batteries are over 7 years old and still going strong, and I've never had a motor failure in any of the Greenworks tools. In either case, you would need to buy a new battery system, so I think your choice to take the one with the cheaper price makes perfect sense.

1 Lucky Texan

The chance that something will go wrong is very small, and the Kobalt and Greenworks edgers are virtually identical except for the different battery voltage. My original G-Max batteries are over 7 years old and still going strong, and I've never had a motor failure in any of the Greenworks tools. In either case, you would need to buy a new battery system, so I think your choice to take the one with the cheaper price makes perfect sense.

It was at a 10% discount so, that helped a little too. Yeah, I also have 7 year-old batteries - some of the plastic membrane/buttons over the voltage check button have cracked. but they all still work.

I wanted to get my broken Ryobi repaired under warranty, but they wanted me to drive to some oddball repair facility instead of just dropping it off at HD. I guess I was just curious about how to actually use the GW warranty if there's a failure outside the 30 day exchange period. Plus I think Kobalt offers an xtra year of warranty. I will REALLY use the heck out of an edger at this property we now live at.

1 Lucky Texan

It was at a 10% discount so, that helped a little too. Yeah, I also have 7 year-old batteries - some of the plastic membrane/buttons over the voltage check button have cracked. but they all still work.

I wanted to get my broken Ryobi repaired under warranty, but they wanted me to drive to some oddball repair facility instead of just dropping it off at HD. I guess I was just curious about how to actually use the GW warranty if there's a failure outside the 30 day exchange period. Plus I think Kobalt offers an xtra year of warranty. I will REALLY use the heck out of an edger at this property we now live at.

Haven't spun it up yet. Arrived today, man it is LONG ! I always thought the ryobi was a little awkward . Hope I can get used to this one.

1 Lucky Texan

Well, GW owner's manuals are no better than in the past. Term 'counterclockwise' used incorrecly once and a replacement part that might be a wear item has its swap procedure described, yet, it isn't listed on the parts list. They also include a 3-way tool that only seems to be useful 1-way. It general feels well-built if a little clunky/awkward but, it is VERY powerful, smooth, and the battery lasted longer than I expected given the overgrowth and length of edges needing work. One more adjustment on the half-moon handle and I think it will be fine.

1 Lucky Texan

This edger is smooth and very powerful. Makes for , maybe, 50% faster job than the Ryobi. Much less hacking/back-and-forth movement. Just push it along.