Export thread

Liquid coming out of atv exhaust

D2hornets58

D2hornets58

I have a 2003 Suzuki LT160 quadrunner atv. I had it idling for about 20 mins today. After 20 mins I went out to shut it off and noticed that there was a liquid slowly spraying out of the exhaust. When i reved the engine it would kind of come out in a mist. If i put my hand in front of it, after a couple seconds my hand would be wet. It kind of looked like oil by the color but seemed much more like water. I also just changed the oil about two weeks ago and havnt really ridden it since then. I know this isnt an atv forum but I just wanted to see if anyone here had any idea what this might be.
Thanks

Carscw

Carscw

Did you smell it or taste it to see if it was just water from condensation ?

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

D2hornets58

D2hornets58

Ya it didnt smell like oil. It kind of has like a burnt smell to it. I thought it was condensation but wasnt sure because it isnt clear and more like the color of oil. It almost looks like a mix of water and oil.

Carscw

Carscw

Could be water mixed with carbon build up in the muffler. It is air cooled?

D2hornets58

D2hornets58

Carscw said:
Could be water mixed with carbon build up in the muffler. It is air cooled?

ya it is air cooled.

R

Rivets

If my memory is still worth a dime, this is a liquid cooled unit, and I suspect that you have a coolant leak in the engine.

D2hornets58

D2hornets58

Rivets said:
If my memory is still worth a dime, this is a liquid cooled unit, and I suspect that you have a coolant leak in the engine.

no it's an air cooled engine not liquid cooled.

R

Rivets

Thanks, I would run the unit a a slow speed, just off idle, and see if it clears up. Carscw may be correct about carbon and water in the muffler. Also, you might want to check if you have water in the fuel tank.

D2hornets58

D2hornets58

Rivets said:
Thanks, I would run the unit a a slow speed, just off idle, and see if it clears up. Carscw may be correct about carbon and water in the muffler. Also, you might want to check if you have water in the fuel tank.

ok thanks...I was holding the gas steady earlier and it didn't clear up. Also after I shut it off I looked into the oil window and it was at the correct level. But in the empty space above the oil it looked white. I don't know what it was. Didn't really look like smoke but could have been. When I shut it off the exhaust was smoking a little for a couple seconds too.

D2hornets58

D2hornets58

I will run it holding the throttle a little tomorrow for a while and see it clears up. Do you think this could be a serious problem or just something small/nothing? Thanks for the help.

R

Rivets

If you have the unit stored where the average temp has been below 40 degrees, I would suspect that it is just a collection of moisture in the exhaust system. You have an air cooled system, which means the only liquid would be oil. Cloudily white could be moisture in the oil. A rule of thumb I have always told my students, black smoke means rich fuel mixture, blue smoke means oil, and white means water. If it is water, it should clear up when the engine run awhile at normal operating temperature.

D2hornets58

D2hornets58

If you have the unit stored where the average temp has been below 40 degrees, I would suspect that it is just a collection of moisture in the exhaust system. You have an air cooled system, which means the only liquid would be oil. Cloudily white could be moisture in the oil. A rule of thumb I have always told my students, black smoke means rich fuel mixture, blue smoke means oil, and white means water. If it is water, it should clear up when the engine run awhile at normal operating temperature.

OK thank you for the help. It was in my garage but i had both of the garage doors open all morning and it was very cold outside. So is the white cloudiness that ws above the oil not a problem?
Thanks

reynoldston

reynoldston

A Suzuki LT160 is a air cooled engine. There is a drain plug on the bottom of the muffler. If you can get it out I would see if you have water build up in the muffler. If its water that would be the only place it could come from. I can tell you most anythink you want to know about this ATV seeing I have done a lot of work on them. They have a very poor front brake system.

R

Rivets

See if it disappears after running awhile at normal temp. At this time I wouldn't over rev the unit. In my opinion, from what you are telling me, I don't think it is a problem, but watch the oil level to stay ahead of any problem.

D2hornets58

D2hornets58

A Suzuki LT160 is a air cooled engine. There is a drain plug on the bottom of the muffler. If you can get it out I would see if you have water build up in the muffler. If its water that would be the only place it could come from. I can tell you most anythink you want to know about this ATV seeing I have done a lot of work on them. They have a very poor front brake system.

Ok i will see if I can get that out. I currently have no front brakes. Both of the cables broke and I have not yet replaced them. Thanks

reynoldston

reynoldston

See if it disappears after running awhile at normal temp. At this time I wouldn't over rev the unit. In my opinion, from what you are telling me, I don't think it is a problem, but watch the oil level to stay ahead of any problem.

I am thinking if you look in the owner's manual It tells you to remove this muffler drain plug as a maintenance.

D2hornets58

D2hornets58

Right now im just using i for plowing. Do you think i should start it up and let it run for a while or should I just wait untill it snows and then just use it then. I wont be riding it other then plowing so should I let it run for a while or just keep an eye on the oil level while plowing?
Thanks

reynoldston

reynoldston

Ok i will see if I can get that out. I currently have no front brakes. Both of the cables broke and I have not yet replaced them. Thanks

The front cables ten to break where they go to the front wheels. You will have to buy the complete cables and they can be pricey. Also if you replace the cables also install new front brake shoes.

R

Rivets

Reynoldston has you on a better path than I do, follow his recommendations. He knows more about these units than I do.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Right now im just using i for plowing. Do you think i should start it up and let it run for a while or should I just wait untill it snows and then just use it then. I wont be riding it other then plowing so should I let it run for a while or just keep an eye on the oil level while plowing?
Thanks

Can't say I have ever seen a plow on a LT160. It is just 2WD and very light duty. Just how well does it work for you? Do you have tire chains or weight on the back? I have seen a lot of 4WD ATVs with plows.

D2hornets58

D2hornets58

The front cables ten to break where they go to the front wheels. You will have to buy the complete cables and they can be pricey. Also if you replace the cables also install new front brake shoes.
Ya i will have to order all that stuff soon and replace everything. I have replaced the rear bake shoes but not the front ones so I will do that when I get new cables.
Reynoldston has you on a better path than I do, follow his recommendations. He knows more about these units than I do.
Ok thanks for the help.
Can't say I have ever seen a plow on a LT160. It is just 2WD and very light duty. Just how well does it work for you? Do you have tire chains or weight on the back? I have seen a lot of 4WD ATVs with plows.

Ya it doesnt seem like the ideal ATV to plow with but it does suprisingly well. It is 2wd. I dont use chains and dont put any weight on the back. I have no problem pushing snow as long as its not more then a couple inches. As long as i somewhat keep up with the storm then I have no problem. I get stuck every once in a while but not as much as you would think for a 2wd. I will try to get that bolt on the muffler out tomorrow and see if theres any water in there. Do you think I should run it for a while or just wait untill I need to use it and just use it then?
Thanks

C

chance123

If your oil is milky white, I would recommend draining when it is hot and refilling with fresh oil. That milky white is an indication of water in your oil.

D2hornets58

D2hornets58

If your oil is milky white, I would recommend draining when it is hot and refilling with fresh oil. That milky white is an indication of water in your oil.

OK but the Just the very top of the oil level (looking through the window) is white. The rest is not.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I can't understand why there would be water in the oil ( milky colored oil) unless you were running this machine into really deep water like under water. Yes I have seen this but it would have to be under water to happen. You will find that this ATV is made to ride in deep water and not get into the engine or drive train. You will actually find this machine is light enough that it will float and not get water into the engine. But if it is the case I agree to get this oil changed. If it is just water in the muffler the most that will happen the muffler will rust out which I have also seen but you will find that this is repairable because it's not like a car muffler because you can weld a patch onto it which I have also done. A lawn mower forum isn't the place to talk about ATVs because its different beast. You will find if you go to a ATV forum you can find proper information for a ATV not a lawn mower. Believe me I am not trying to be negative here but trying to be helpful. I run and repair ATVs and lawn mowers.

C

chance123

I can't understand why there would be water in the oil ( milky colored oil) I run and repair ATVs and lawn mowers.

I too can't understand it. Possibly the engine stopped with the EX valve part way open and water got in. I have seen people bring their machines in with water in the fuel tank and when I tell them about the water in the fuel, they look at me as though my dipstick wasn't quite touching oil!! They refuse to believe it. I remember once a 5 year old was trying to be like daddy, but instead he took the water hose to the fuel tank and the oil thinking daddy would be proud of him.
FWIW I personally don't take offence to ATV ?'s. It's the slow season and "all" questions keep us sharp and in tune.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I too can't understand it. Possibly the engine stopped with the EX valve part way open and water got in. I have seen people bring their machines in with water in the fuel tank and when I tell them about the water in the fuel, they look at me as though my dipstick wasn't quite touching oil!! They refuse to believe it. I remember once a 5 year old was trying to be like daddy, but instead he took the water hose to the fuel tank and the oil thinking daddy would be proud of him.
FWIW I personally don't take offence to ATV ?'s. It's the slow season and "all" questions keep us sharp and in tune.

OK for this to happen we would have to say the muffler would have to have a lot of water in it to turn the oil milky white. My thought on that the muffler would have been under water. Yes this is very possible when riding a ATV and yes I have been there with my ATVs in very extreme riding. But never with a 2WD 160. This is the reason for the drain plug in the muffler. I just don't know of any lawn mowers with a water drain plug in there mufflers. Now if he had that much water in the gas tank the engine wouldn't run. This person would just get a lot better information on a ATV forum I am saying. I personally don't care and just telling them what I know because I am very familiar with the LT160 Suzuki. I also own a older one and only use it as a extra machine when the need comes up.

D2hornets58

D2hornets58

Ya i know this isnt the place to be asking but just thought id see if anyone here knew what it could be. I havnt ridden it since september and I just change the oil. I also havnt really gone through any deep water. Maybe a little mud but nothing deep. All the oil isnt milky white just like the very top of the oil level. The rest looks normal colored.

metz12

metz12

Ya i know this isnt the place to be asking but just thought id see if anyone here knew what it could be. I havnt ridden it since september and I just change the oil. I also havnt really gone through any deep water. Maybe a little mud but nothing deep. All the oil isnt milky white just like the very top of the oil level. The rest looks normal colored.

You getting ready to plow in the morning? is it snowing where your at? it is in southern ri! good thing i got my plow on my mower!

D2hornets58

D2hornets58

You getting ready to plow in the morning? is it snowing where your at? it is in southern ri! good thing i got my plow on my mower!

Haha i wish. Nothing but rain for me. Its like a mix right now but no snow is sticking. Im not getting anything from this. im in southern ma. Im jealous of the people getting a foot. All day i saw every driving around with their blades on. I came home thinking they changed the forecast for my area. But its still just a coating to an inch where I am. I never even put my plow on. How much are you gettung?

reynoldston

reynoldston

We are getting over 14 in. here in upper NY. Myself I remove snow with a Wheel horse and snow blower on front. Also its time to get the snowmobile out for me and put away the ATVs. You must get a good amount of snow in Massachusetts. You must give that 160 a good work out.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

We are getting over 14 in. here in upper NY. Myself I remove snow with a Wheel horse and snow blower on front. Also its time to get the snowmobile out for me and put away the ATVs. You must get a good amount of snow in Massachusetts. You must give that 160 a good work out.

Over a foot!! Lucky! I'm so jealous! I remember 2 years ago when we got 20 inches and then 3 days later another 21 inches. That was awesome!! I want a couple big storms with over a foot of snow this year! :thumbsup: Unlike last year--we hardly got any! We got some snow at the end of October so we thought it was going to be a bad winter, but it was anything but!

metz12

metz12

whew, 14"! thats a good amount for sure. I would love to have a snow blower front end. it sounds like a good investment.

D2hornets58

D2hornets58

Ya not this storm but we usually get a good amount. Haha ya i definatly work the atv more then I should haha. My friend has a snowblower on the front of his JD lawn tractor so that takes some of the wok off of my 160. Snow mobiliing looks very fun but ive never gone.Do you have any good trails near you?

D2hornets58

D2hornets58

Ya 14 inches would be great. This winter is starting to look like last year. Im hoping this turns around soon and becomes a snowy year. Snowing here now. A good coating on everything but looks like it supposed to turn to rain very soon.

D2hornets58

D2hornets58

OK so i just looked and the very top of the oil is white but the rest is the normal color of oil. I just changed the oil like 2 weeks ago and haven't ridden it since. I have just started it every couple days and let it idle for a few mins. So should i change the oil again? Is the white that i am seeing at the top water or not? It isn't mixed with the oil its like on top of the oil so i don't know what it is. I might be getting some snow this weekend so i want to have it ready to go. Thanks for the help.

C

chance123

The reason we should always heat an engine up before changing the oil is that after running an engine, all the contaminents get suspended in the oil and drain "with" the oil

D2hornets58

D2hornets58

The reason we should always heat an engine up before changing the oil is that after running an engine, all the contaminents get suspended in the oil and drain "with" the oil
Ya before i changed the oil I let the engine run for a little while and warmed it up.

reynoldston

reynoldston

very top of the oil is white

Ok you have water in the oil. There has to be a reason for this to happen? Do you leave the oil fill cover off and it rains in the engine? The water has to be getting in there from some where? Because you said you don't run it in deep water. This is a sealed air cooled engine so the water has to be getting in there from a external source. And get fresh oil and filter in that engine. Not only can you do damage to the engine but your clutches run in this oil also and they don't like water.

D2hornets58

D2hornets58

very top of the oil is white

Ok you have water in the oil. There has to be a reason for this to happen? Do you leave the oil fill cover off and it rains in the engine? The water has to be getting in there from some where? Because you said you don't run it in deep water. This is a sealed air cooled engine so the water has to be getting in there from a external source. And get fresh oil and filter in that engine. Not only can you do damage to the engine but your clutches run in this oil also and they don't like water.

I have no idea how water could have gotten in there. Like I said i haven't gone through any deep water. Is there any way it could have gotten in by condensation on the outside of the engine. Is there any where that the water could have gone in. Last week when it was raining the outside of the engine was wet from condensation. Thats the only thing I can think of.
Thanks

reynoldston

reynoldston

It your machine and you have to know where the water come from, yes it could be condensation. I would have no idea how you use or store your ATV. White oil is from a lot of moisture. Now when you say white oil you are seeing through the small window that you check your oil level with? Do you get a lot of white thick goo on the oil fill plug? These are the only two spots that I can think of to see your oil unless you are taking things apart. Like I said this ATV is made to go in water and mud so this engine is sealed up and all vents and air intakes are high and come out above the gas tank.

D2hornets58

D2hornets58

It your machine and you have to know where the water come from, yes it could be condensation. I would have no idea how you use or store your ATV. White oil is from a lot of moisture. Now when you say white oil you are seeing through the small window that you check your oil level with? Do you get a lot of white thick goo on the oil fill plug? These are the only two spots that I can think of to see your oil unless you are taking things apart. Like I said this ATV is made to go in water and mud so this engine is sealed up and all vents and air intakes are high and come out above the gas tank.

Ya i am seeing it through the little window to check the oil level...And there is nothing on the oil fill plug.

reynoldston

reynoldston

As I said this isn't a ATV forum but I got carried away with this little 160. Suzuki doesn't make this model any more but in its day it was a strong 2WD 5 speed with reverse beginners machine that went about 40 MPH. It is light and nimble and will go just about any place a 4WD will go. It is also light enough if it gets stuck 2 persons (men) can lift it out of trouble. This is the reason I was wondering how this machine handles a snowplow? Also its just geared wrong to pull or push heavy loads, made for pleasure not work even so they did put a hitch and racks on the older machines.