Export thread

Liming the yard

G

Grasstrology

I'm planning to lime my yard, but I can't seem to find a good way to spread it without breaking my back. Is there a better way to apply lime than bending over? Thanks

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I'm planning to lime my yard, but I can't seem to find a good way to spread it without breaking my back. Is there a better way to apply lime than bending over? Thanks

Would it work in a broadcast spreader?

G

Grasstrology

Would it work in a broadcast spreader?

Not sure about a broadcast spreader because I only have a handheld spreader, which is too high off the ground so the lime leaves in a cloud of dust

M

mullins87

Try to pick up some pelletized lime. It should go through the spreader and will fall through the grass to the ground where it will dissolve as it rains. Otherwise, rent/borrow/buy a drop spreader. The powder will fall to the ground as you pull it around with your riding mower.

K

KennyV

A heavy duty top dresser will do a good job, but you are not likely to find them at rental yards...
If you can find an 'older' heavy built 'Drop' fertilizer spreader, it may hold up to spreading lime, just do not fill it above 1/3 to 1/2 full... :smile:KennyV

G

Grasstrology

I guess I'll just look for a drop spreader on Craigslist instead since I'll probably use it for other things on my lawn

M

motoman

I'm getting ready after the soil analysis says I need 1 ton added to my 1/3 acre. I have a Brinly spreader and wondered if the pellet style will pass thru. Also midwest sources sell lime for a lot less than my local "friendly" store who gets $7. 50 for a 50 lb bag. Comments, pls. :confused2:

bkeller500

bkeller500

I'm getting ready after the soil analysis says I need 1 ton added to my 1/3 acre. I have a Brinly spreader and wondered if the pellet style will pass thru. Also midwest sources sell lime for a lot less than my local "friendly" store who gets $7. 50 for a 50 lb bag. Comments, pls. :confused2:

Farm & fleet 40 pound pelletized lime $ 4.49
Farm & fleet 50 pound pulverized barn lime $ 1.79

M

motoman

bkeller, Yep saw ,that price difference. And saw dumptruck loads going down on agricultural land. Acid loving weeds kill us here.