Leaving equipment outside

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Except UV will deteriorate the paint, rubber & interior.
If left in the same place day in day out UV will also cause a hard patch on the side walls of the tyres which is why they make wheel covers for caravans.
The trailer & gear would go out to work every day ( one would hope ) but at least one car will not as your bum will be in the truck.
The gear on the truck are depreciation . Tax write off items, chances are the cars are not and the work gear most likely gets turned over a bit faster than the cars and is a lot cheaper to replace.

Pallet racking can be installed in the garage so that the nose of the cars is under the lowest shelf and you can fit a lot of gear on pallet width shelves thus you are getting double use of the floor area.
Old pallet racking is very cheap and is self supporting so if you have a work bench at one end it can be installed a foot or so back from the bench you just have to be able to get in & out of the cars without banging your head.
I have done a lot of similar "bridge" style installations in restaurants store rooms & work rooms and in one case we moved the wine storage from the wall to overhead, stored all of the dry good over the top of the managers desk and basically turned a disaster of a storeage space into a working space & I get free lunches whenever I go there they are so happy with the results and it cost peanuts when comparred to expensive wall shelving.

I really don't worry about UV deteriorating the paint, rubber & interior. Vehicles set on car lots waiting to be sold for months on end and it doesn't bother them. My truck gets used every day and the car that gets put in the garage. What your suggesting about UV light doesn't really effect vehicles today like it use to because before they sell cars you can have treatments and coatings done that prevent paint, rubber & interior from deteriorating and there guaranteed like five years . Besides that the greatest percentage of people who own and drive cars very seldom pay the loan on car off car before trading the thing in on another.

primerbulb120

Threads
I don't leave my equipment outside overnight, but I don't mind if it gets rained on during the day. Since I pressure wash all my equipment, rain isn't a big deal.

KrashnKraka

Threads
Garage is full and mowers are multiplying. I have no more room, but I found a storage area that has a gate and 24 hour surveillance (cameras, lights, always some one there). I was thinking about letting my trailer there with my mowers on it. I would cover the whole trailer with a nice big tarp every time I am done working. This way all equipment could be protected from the sun and rain. Would this be all right? I don't feel like paying storage for a trailer and then my mowers.

My anecdotal may not relate to your location Law so I offer it only as reference.
Check the fine print in the contract.

Quite some time ago I stored a vehicle in similar circumstance, difference being
the vehicle shared an open type 'shed' with others. Around 30 other vehicles.
I skipped off overseas, uncontactable.
On returning there was a new shed and my vehicle was gone.
Short version is a vehicle caught fire in the lot, spread to other vehicles
and did a lot of damage. Mine reportedly burnt to the rims. No photos.
In the ensuing sh*tfight the other side relied on a statement in the storage
reciept which stated long term storage relied on battery disconnect and fuel
emptied out. The tribunal listened to the argument to award only partial
compensation to my loss.
To this day I maintain the 'fire' was a way of covering a crime as during my
investigation I learnt the principle was well known aa a supplier of
"midnight motors" spares, had done time for such frolics.
I have since repeated the exercise changing to individual storage and removing
batteries alltogether.
Some fodder to chew on?

KK

Threads
I am fine if I get stuck in a rain shower while mowing, but if it starts to downpour I like to bring it in. Once last year I left my trailer outside and went in for dinner, and while I was eating a severe thunderstorm rolled in. It rained the hardest I have ever seen it rain, and the lightning was crazy. I didn't want to get struck by lightning bringing in my trailer, so I left it out through the storm. After it was done I brought it in. The next morning (roughly 12 hours later) I went to mow my first lawn. I mowed it, and when I put my mower back on the trailer and went to turn it off, it would not turn off. I pulled the lever to the STOP position, but it didn't turn off. I think what happened was that my mower got so wet that the cable to turn the mower off was slipping, so the lever moved but the cable didn't move. After it dried off it was fine. So that's my thinking behind why it happened.
Also there was a day this year where I had no choice but to mow, because I was going away and had to have all my lawns done. It rained the night before, and drizzled all morning, but I mowed through it. Every time I wanted to start my mower, I would pull the cord, and it sounded like a metal-on-metal scraping noise, because everything was soaking wet. Luckily I was using my 3 year old HRX (which has been through heck), and not my 2 month old one. And again, after it dried it was fine.
So my thinking behind it is that the super commercial mowers are more capable of dealing with the rain, not that it's gonna stop me from using mine in the rain occasionally. Just my 2 cents.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Interesting stuff guys.

That car story sucks. I guess they could not be trusted while you were away.

Leaving equipment elsewhere is always a risk. But, when one has no choice, it has to be done.

KrashnKraka

Threads
[...]
Besides that the greatest percentage of people who own and drive cars very seldom pay the loan on car off car before trading the thing in on another.

My DIL would sure as heck give you an admonishing look...I get plenty
for making similar assumptions on Y-Gen folk.
On her second dashboard in her 2yr old Mazda 3, she aint one
happy "chickee babe" with contemporay vehicle finishes.
The melted surface ruined her uniform cap for which she was then put
on a charge.
This in a car she struggled to buy and wanted to keep for 10yrs.
It's for sale while the dashboard still looks good.

... yer outta step, bloke, outa step :2cents::2cents::2cents:

KK

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
My DIL would sure as heck give you an admonishing look...I get plenty
for making similar assumptions on Y-Gen folk.
On her second dashboard in her 2yr old Mazda 3, she aint one
happy "chickee babe" with contemporay vehicle finishes.
The melted surface ruined her uniform cap for which she was then put
on a charge.
This in a car she struggled to buy and wanted to keep for 10yrs.
It's for sale while the dashboard still looks good.

... yer outta step, bloke, outa step :2cents::2cents::2cents:

KK

No I'm not out of step, I just live in the here and now.
attachment.php

Attachments

• t3910.gif
    t3910.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

KrashnKraka

Threads
No I'm not out of step, I just live in the here and now
attachment.php

Sorry friend, link broken ;)
"Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify theadministrator"

KK